HybridZ

I don't like ipods anymore... mine broke

Alf

I've had an ipod mini for a little over a year now and I used it all the time, it worked great and I never abused it. One day a few weeks ago I accidentally droped a bottle of gatorade on it from about three inches high while it was sitting on my car seat. It didn't work for a couple days so I just let it die and plugged it into my computer and it worked good except it only played out of one earphone, which didn't bother me because I mainly used it in my car with one of those transmitters. Well tonight I had just walked into my shop to do some work on my hot rod and I plug it into my radio and I get nothing, so I tap it around a little, this same thing happened before and lightly tapping it fixed the problem, for a while anyway, but not this time. I ended up "dropping" it a little too hard and it cracked the screen. At this point I was steaming mad, one; because it stopped working and two; because I destroyed it, not to mention it cost about $300 and it only lasted a year, heck the car I drive only cost me $500. So after I regain my composure and retain myself from really destroying it, I walked out to my car and plugged it in to the trasmitter, beleive it or not it still worked, so I left it there. I walked back inside and broke out my classic casette colection and popped in Stop Making Sense by The Talking Heads and go to work. Not one minute later the first song ends and it makes this weird sluring sound and starts ticking. It took me about one second to figure out that my POS $9.99 Wal Mart radio just ate my 20+ year old tape. So i pop open the tape deck and find the tape with its guts ripped out. This was the last straw for me, I just lost it, I grabbed the radio, and ripped the cord out of the wall, raised her high and let her fly straight into the ground. It resembled a shrapnel bomb going off with peices of Chinese plastic flying everywhere. So after I stomped on it a little bit i went back to preparing my freshly aquired VG30E for my hot rod. About fifteen minutes later after I calmed down and had a few laughs at myself I cleaned up the mess I had made. I then spent the next hour thinking how they could sell a radio for $9.99, there was alot of stuff in there! But wait there's more. On my way home my iPod surrendered it's life never to be heard again. R.I.P. Uhooo now I have to listen to the radio noooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo!!!! Sometimes I feel like I'm in the Truman show and there is someone videotaping my every move and playing tricks on me to make the show more interesting. Anyway, I hope you enjoyed the story, be carefull out there, electronics are everywhere.

Here's the aftermath, it kinda looks like a face laughing at me...

hot_rod_332_1.jpg

I had one of those ipod nanos for about a week. I was worried if I left it in my front pocket that my keys would scratch it. So it was in my back pocket while working on my Z. Having done whatever I was doing, I plopped into the driver's seat to fire it up, and noticed my music stopped. Well, turns out it folded it a little bit, and the screen ballooned, and it wouldn't play anymore. Ipod store at the mall would only give me the $15 trade in value for the broken one, so I said F it and went on with my life, ipod less. I ended up getting a full size one that christmas though, so it worked out pretty good. Trouble is, it has more hard drive space than my laptop, so I'll never be able to fill it...

After seeing all the people with problems with their Ipods, I got a Creative Zen Touch. 20gb, no hassles, don't need to mess with the worst software ever created, ITunes, either.

Oh - and it cost me $159....... :wink:

Oh - and it has a built in radio, recorder, holds pics, etc.......

I bought a MPIO MP3 player about two years ago for just under $150 and it's been working great ever since. The best part about it is that it uses a single replaceable AAA battery so I don't have to worry about charging it up or anything. The down side? The internal memory is less than a gig so I had to add a 1 gig card to make it hold more songs and I have to periodically remove/add new music to it so I don't get tired of stuff so fast. All in all, I'm very happy with it and I don't think I'll ever buy anything from Apple considering how fragile ipods appear to be.

I work at an apple store and a mac guy through and through, but I understand you guys' complaints. There are two main problems as I see it, having done many returns and replacements.

1. These things are getting too small, and people start to treat them as car keys and not as electronics. Especially with the mini's and nano's. I mean the mini's have a hard drive spinning at all times and as a result shouldn't be treated much more harshly than an external harddrive or a laptop. Apple tries to make them pretty sturdy, but any time there is a fairly fragile moving part spinning at a couple thousand rpm's ♥♥♥♥ can happen when its shocked. Ever wonder why the new nike shoe thing that allows you to track how far and fast you run is only available with the nano and not the full sized ipod? Its because the nano is flash based and has no moving parts to break from moving around and they don't want to encourage people to run with the full sized ipod. Its the same reason that apple doesnt make an armband for the ipod, but they do for the nano.

2. Apple designed these things only to have a certain lifespan basically expecting that people will want to upgrade after 2-3 years. I mean the battery is not user-replaceable and Li-ion batteries only have a lifespan of what, 1000-odd full charges? That should give a pretty good idea of how long these things were designed to last. I mean, apple will change the battery at the store for free under the year(or two years if you get the extended) warranty, but its 70 bux otherwise. Also, apple only offers up to 2 years of warranty, again showing the designed lifespan of these things.

Personally, I have only owned one ipod and have had no problems with it, but ive only had it a little more than a year and I don't doubt that within the next year or so I will have some trouble with mine. In my opinion, its worth it for the ease of use, the best interface (imo) in any mp3 player, the clean slick design, and the seamless integration with itunes, which I have no problems with (though it does run better on macs). I messed around with other mp3 players for a while, trying creatives and cheap flash ones and a couple archo's and while I may have saved a little money on initial purchase, I found that they had the same problems of failing after a little over a year, and much worse product support. For example, archos made a little mp3player/recorder called the jukebox, which I used for a while. About a year and a half ago,under a year of its orginal purchase, it failed. They sent me a new one, which was fine. But when I got my new computer, which ran on Mac 0sX which was not new stuff in 2005 the player did not work with it. When I called them to ask if they made a driver for osX they said no. I asked if they planned on making one they said no. I asked if I am pretty much assed-out on this one, they said yes. So for now I'll stick with ipods.

Bought my wife a mp3 player from creative...she loves and uses it all the time. It was around $160 as well. Pretty easy to use too, and I definetly like the built in radio option as well. she's had it about a year at this point.

Can you please send it to me? I'd gladly destroy your Ipod for you. I hate Ipods, they're evil. It drives me nuts how car manufacturers and other media hardware companies are actually labeling jacks as "Ipod jack" or whatever. Or even worse, designing their systems to be compatible with Ipod. what happens in 5-10 years when Ipods are antiques? I don't need a jack in my car that says "Ipod." My kids will be saying "Daddy, what is an Ipod?" and I'll have to tell them about the soul-sucking, Itunes-compatible-only music player that could hold more songs than exist.

Sorry for the rant, it's been building up for the past couple of years. ;)

I'm in contests frequently that reward Ipods, if I win one maybe I'll give it to you instead of selling it.

"don't need to mess with the worst software ever created, ITunes, either."

Ah, spoken by a guy who never had to mess with Sony's Sonic Stage! After that, my kids think itunes is slicker than a submarine sliding on whale sheet.

:icon44: OK, I'll adjust my statement.....worst MUSIC software ever created......yes, that includes Garageband!

I've set a couple of those Ipods up, and honestly, it took 3-4 times as long to set up the same amount of music as my Creative. My friend Darren took 3 evenings only 1/3 filling a 20gb Ipod through Itunes.

I filled my 20gb Creative in about 1.5 hours. I dragged what I wanted in, and left it transferring for a while. Easy. No copying to your local HDD if it's from a network source, just transfers and done.