HybridZ

Fun Factor

After driving around on back country roads for a week or so I finally have a street legal ZX SBC. To all you guys with projects in the works, let me tell you that it is worth all the time, money, and skinned knuckles. This car is FUN to drive, it puts a smile on your face. It is fast, handles curves flat, sounds good and did I mention FUN. So "getter done" you won't be disappointed.

First of all, congratulations on a project completed, and here's wishing for many drag strip victories and many miles of happy cruising!

That said - and I'd hate to be the curmudgeon again - but at least in my experience, after "getting her done" - that is, after the first drive upon completing the swap - come months of largely fruitless efforts at getting the engine tuned and at sorting out the "minor things" that have more do to with maintenance than with the swap. Just starting the engine is a hit-or-miss experience. Trying to figure out the causes of the various colors of tailpipe smoke has not been an innocent game of trivial pursuit. And rowing that truck transmission - the one with all those hi-po parts designed to be "bulletproof" - ruins all the fun of quick bursts of acceleration.

After all these years of tinkering, I don't want an incessant project - I want a reliable vehicle that starts in the Ohio "autumn" cold, idles reliably, doesn't lose oil pressure when accelerating or fuel pressure when braking. My car fails in all of these regards, so it just sits in the garage. Here's hoping that you don't fall into this rut, that you sort out the nuisances of tuning, and enjoy the fruit of your labors!

So far so good, already have carb dialed in jet wise and electric choke set up, been bumping up timing a little at a time, plugs look good. One small oil leak at of all places the block off plate for the mech. fuel pump. No fuel or coolant leaks, car runs at 170 deg. never higher, guess I'll have to wait till next summer to see how it cools in 90 degree weather. It's cold here in the AM also, been going down to 30F at night.

I just came back from a ride, put about 60 miles on the Z, I feel like Dennis the Menence driving it, it's alot of fun.

conrats my friend. I am about to start my project. and you made me want to get started much soonerthan I am able to. I hope to begin my swap right after christmas so I won't have to worry about money. and on that note, I am just wondering, how much did your swap end up costing you and how long did it takeyou to complete. not trying to be nosy, but just trying to find out how long my wallet is going to be in a coma. once again, congratulations on your success.

It took me about 8 months of on again off again work, but I redid the entire car not just an engine trans swap, here is a partial list of work performed:

New inner and outer tie rod ends

New struts and frt springs

New ball joints

New control arm bushings

New brake hoses (6)

New urathane bushings front and rear

Rebuilt brake calipers (4) painted

New master cylinder

Installed line lock frt brakes

Rebuilt steering rack, painted

Replaced floor pans and support rails

Fabricated sub frame reinforcements front and rear

New rear shocks and springs

Inspected and painted rear diff. and half safts

Mounted battery in spare tire well

New fuel line tank to carb

New fuel pump

Fabricated radiator mounts

Install trans cooler

Entire interior removed, cleaned and painted

Engine:

73' Vette block, high nickle, 4 bolt, 350 ci

67' fuelie heads double hump 2.02 valves 64CC

Crane hyd street cam

Edelbrock performer intake

750 Holley vac sec.

Holley blue electric pump

Chevy HEI dist vac adv

JTR headers

700r4 trans:

B&M shift kit

B&M throttle valve plunger

Single wire converter lockup

All this work performed by me, myself and I, only things not done by myself were the exhaust system and driveshaft. I'm sure there are alot of things I left out but I have about $5,000 in the car, but many items I had before I started or had friends give to me.

Can't say for sure I didn't keep close track on the money I put out but engine and trans ready to go about $2500, thats all the little stuff also, mini geared starter, alternator, headers, PS pump, all the drive pulleys, etc. I'm not a dyno kind of guy just an old gear head, the car pulls hard, with the 4 speed auto and 3.54 rear I can't nail it from a dead stop it will just lite up the tires until I leave off, if I pull out and then nail it , it puts down about 5 feet of rubber when it shifts to second gear. You got to remember this is a ZX which is heavy compared to a Z car, but I think also stronger frame/cross members up front, I'm going to have it weighed this week. I took alot of weight out of the front of the car, A/C gone, battery in rear, alum. intake, headers, geared starter, thats about 100 pounds.

I know excactly how you feel. All the time, trouble, costs, setbacks, etc; are all worth it when you get to drive her down the road. I drove mine a little Friday night and I couldn't believe how much fun it was.

I still have some issues, but I'm confident I'll work them out eventually.

Bartman, your ride should really fly, much better traction with the LSD rear, should slam you back into the seat when your on it. I have been waiting to score a LSD r200 to throw into the car. My ZX is a Sunday driver for me, just a toy, if I had to start all over I would opt for a LT or LS injected engine, I like the high tech look under the hood. It sure feels good to make a great car even better.

Bartman, your ride should really fly, much better traction with the LSD rear, should slam you back into the seat when your on it. I have been waiting to score a LSD r200 to throw into the car. My ZX is a Sunday driver for me, just a toy, if I had to start all over I would opt for a LT or LS injected engine, I like the high tech look under the hood. It sure feels good to make a great car even better.
It does pretty much fly, but I'm limited now by the size of my tires. The thing about going with an LT or LS injected engine is the additional time for the initial install...you really need to be good at wiring. The good thing is now I can just hookup my laptop to take data recordings and make changes to the program.