HybridZ

tranny?

81280zx

I've thought about this one as well. IIRC the turbo tranny is higher geared so you might feel a little more sluggish off the line. On the upside though it's a much stronger tranny than the NA and will last much much longer. Wish I had one. You'll need the driveshaft out of the turbo as well. I believe it's shorter.

The turbo tranny is geared lower, at least in the first three gears. It has a much wider spread between the gears than the ZX transmission. Strength is great and all, but the close ratios of the ZX box would be my preference for a NA car.

This should help...

http://www.geocities.com/z_design_studio/

Tom is right about searching too. This is old ground we're covering here...

If you're in need of a N/A ZX Auto tranny (3N71B), I just happen to have a BRAND SPANKING NEW one that I'd be willing to make you a heck of a deal on. (Shipping to California from Atlanta might cost a bit.) It's been sitting on my bench now for about 3 years. Brand new, with all the new stuff on it including the torque converter. Never been installed. Interested? PM me.

Warren

If you still have a regular auto in your zx, then you won't notice a difference. The gearing is exactly the same. The difference between the turbo auto box and the n/a auto box is the number of clutch packs. The turbo has an extra one for 2nd gear. If you want to stick with the auto and need a new transmission then warren has it.

Go to http://www.carfiche.com/ and download the '82 factory manual. It will have a breakdown and gearing for the automatic.