HybridZ

Traction???

Im just trying to get some ideas on how to get some traction.My car is a daily driven rb30det 240z.I was making 550 rwhp but was just frying tyres.I spent some time on the dyno today so i am now running 7 psi 1st gear 12psi 2nd gear and 15psi from there on.It feels a lot better now but it still needs improvement.I am running the stock soft springs and 225 road tyres..Will coilovers help??Different springs??Any help would be appreciated.Thanks

Guest 280ZForce

you are gonna need more tire to help pretty much. good luck ever getting to hold 550whp with probably crazy tq as well on a 225 series tire.

I'd upgrade to some wider rims to fit a fatter tire.

do you mind showing pics of your Z and your setup? dyno charts? Car sounds awesome.

It's not the hp, it's the torque. I'm running a 275mm R compound in the rear (Kumho V700) and still have issues in second just rolling on boost. Going to an R compound is the best thing you can do to hook up. Either a drag radial or autocross tire. The V700 is a little softer than a Nitto DR and is wider for a comparatively sized tire, never ran a bfg dr. I think you are going to have to go wider too though.

Thanks guys.That makes a lot of sence because a friend of mine has a 13bt rx3 that also make crazy power but it doesnt have the same problems as me. But it doesnt make anywhere near the torque of my car.So how do you go fitting a 275 under the back?Just the 8' coilover kit and roll the fenders?or do you need to flare the fenders a bit?I was thinking of going to a yokohama advan.Everyone over here tells me they are almost identical to a nitto extreem but half the price.I think if i can put a 275 advan on,that would help a LOT.

As for pics,if you would like to pm me your email i will send you pics.the only ones i have are way too big to post and my nero isnt working.Never bothered to get a dyno print out but i will be up there next week.and i will get one if they still have mine on file..

So how do you go fitting a 275 under the back?Just the 8' coilover kit and roll the fenders?or do you need to flare the fenders a bit?I was thinking of going to a yokohama advan.Everyone over here tells me they are almost identical to a nitto extreem but half the price.I think if i can put a 275 advan on,that would help a LOT.

Don't need to flare. I run a 9" wheel. Offset depends on what rear brakes you are running. There isn't much room for error. Yes you need an 8" coil over.

Yoko makes about 10 different Advans, unless it starts with A0 it's not an R compound. The only Nitto's that have a chance hooking up are 555R/RII and NT01. There are alot of tires out there, some expensive but it all comes down to how soft they are. Unless someone else has run a light car with over 500 ft /lbs to the wheels I wouldn't take there advice on tires. They wil have no idea the lack of traction you are dealing as just about any tire will work for them and they will assume the same street oriantated tire that works fine for them will work for you too.. Another tire to look at is the Toyo RA1. R compund and has good tread depth.

What ECU have you got because traction control sounds the way to go if your ECU supports it. Have an on/off switch for it.

That sort of power is getting a bit much for a stock 240Z chassis too, you would be getting body flex and maybe rear suspension flex too. A good half cage will help the body, plus you could beef up the under rails too, and other things.

Guest 280ZForce
anyone hear good things about the BFG G-Force's (KDY and KDW maybe???) thier ads give impressive results on the g-forces they pull on those tires...then again they are just ads...

rzmartini - i've heard good reviews from them, but haven't tested them myself. I believe they are pretty pricey from what I heard though.

you can get a dunlop sp sport fm 901 for cheaper and just as good. I just put those on my ride and I'm impressed so far. Only had them a few days though.

dunno if you got my PM about the Z meet on this coming Saturday. I'm trying to get a final # on how many of us are going by like Tues/Wed. Please let me know if you can make it or not.

Thanks - J

What ECU have you got because traction control sounds the way to go if your ECU supports it. Have an on/off switch for it.

That sort of power is getting a bit much for a stock 240Z chassis too, you would be getting body flex and maybe rear suspension flex too. A good half cage will help the body, plus you could beef up the under rails too, and other things.

Im running a microtech lt12s..not sure if it will support traction control.I have a heap of aux in/outputs left so it might.my tuner is 1 of the best microtech tuners there are,so i will ask him.

I am looking into building some subframe connectors for it and possibly a half cage.ANDRA has told i need a full cage before i can race again because on my 3rd run ever i ran a 10.65@138. but i drive the car every day and im 6'3 so a full cage will make it really difficult to get in and out of.So i gotta decide weather to not drive it so much,cage it and race it,or to not race anymore.

anyone hear good things about the BFG G-Force's (KDY and KDW maybe???) thier ads give impressive results on the g-forces they pull on those tires...then again they are just ads...

KDW are wet/rain tires, lot of voids. KD's are pretty good for a street tire, about equal to Falken Azenis as far as grip, just cost more. The treadwear is a pretty good indicator of how well they will stick. Lower numbers being softer. Both are 200. Ra1/Nitto DR's are 100. Kumho V700 is a 50. There is a huge traction difference between a 100 and 200 treadwear rating.

reardiffuser1.jpg

hptorquetest3.jpg

I am running Yokohama AVS Sport 17/35/315's out back. I can launch pretty hard, but I can still break them loose in 2nd gear, and a hard roll on in 3rd, But mostly the car just pulls.

I am not running your hp, though my graph is a year old, and many mods ago. I do have some decent torque down low though.

A good compound is critical, followed by suspension, and finally tire width. Stocko springs are not going to cut it. The car will just squat, and use up some time/torque, all the while building up more, and then it will just instantly make it to the pavement, and fry the tires. Kind of hard to explain. Think of it as more of an explosion of power to the ground, as opposed to gradual power being applied. ie even a stocko 240 can dump the clutch and claim no traction.

Scott.