HybridZ

How do you shave the rear of a Z

CarolinaZ

OK heres what I'm talking about. On the rear I would have to install a sheet across the entire rear as it is not an even plane , i am going to install a piece of 3" channel then cover the entire end from the spot where it goes in and wrap it under , plus I have to do something with the sides where there is an 1/2 " comes out and while doind this try to wrap the piece around the sides and make it look OK

1stpatchrearfender.jpg

so as you can see there is a large indent that has to be filled in,

here is another pic

th_repairrequiredforrearend.jpgsorry i can't get it bigger , I copied it from paint and can't seem to enlarge it , i wanted to show where I want to do repair , so I added that info in paint but now I have to fiquire out how to enlarge it, any suggestions?

sorry about that bob

Woodboxer,

On the ZXs it's not the back that you should worry about. You can put sheet metal bridging from the bottom of the tail lights down to the lower valence. I remember when I did mine I had to smash the lower valence in to get a nice contour. The biggest problem is making the sides look presentable. Check my web site for my Yellow ZXT for more pictures. GL

Vinh

hi Vinh,

i have seen your car before and actually thats were I got the idea from, so how did you do the sides , I don't think the rear is a problem but the sides may be a different story, do you have any pics that show what you did? btw I really like what you did with your 81 zx , it shows you can do anything if you put your mind to it, did you put anything under the rolled sheet at the rear in case of an accident? I am planning on putting a steel channel there as there is enough room. So if I cut the spot where it goes out then bend it in and reweld it , that should do it.??? btw how did you do the rear skirt behind the tire? SO many questions , so little time,,,LOL.

thanks for the responses ....bob

I'm a little concerned about making a void by cutting a filler piece of metal and welding it flush over a indentation. There's really no way to avoid having exposed metal behind your patch even if it's only the small amount caused by the welding. Add condensation and time and I think you'd have a pocket of rust. I would cut out the area, butt weld in your patch and then carefully preserve the back side.

Woodboxer,

Sorry I didn't take any picture while I was doing the rear on my 81. That was my first Z that I made a lot of mods to it without knowing the results lol. For the sides I put a big piece of sheet metal to cover from the top to the bottom. That piece extend from the arc of the quarter back to the rear roll pan, covering the horizonal line and the hole for the rear bumper all at once. This will give it a nice round look if you stand from the back. Again I used lots of fiberglass mat and resin to fill up all the gaps, dimples etc. Then grind, grind and fill with bondo and sand sand and sand. I used something called "side spats" on the bottom of the rear rockers to compliment my side skirt. I think it will look find without the side spats if you don't have the side skirts. Try it and let me know how it turns out. Good luck

Vinh

DavyZ,

haha I am no Jap. I am VietNamese btw. Yup what a coincident. I finished my car at the end of 1997 and then the C5 came out. The butt of my car looks a little bit like the C5 rear. Did anybody reallize that? hehe

PS. I got those Riken rims from Ross back then.. lol .. and he still remember me now

Woodboxer,

Sorry I didn't take any picture while I was doing the rear on my 81. That was my first Z that I made a lot of mods to it without knowing the results lol. For the sides I put a big piece of sheet metal to cover from the top to the bottom. That piece extend from the arc of the quarter back to the rear roll pan, covering the horizonal line and the hole for the rear bumper all at once. This will give it a nice round look if you stand from the back. Again I used lots of fiberglass mat and resin to fill up all the gaps, dimples etc. Then grind, grind and fill with bondo and sand sand and sand. I used something called "side spats" on the bottom of the rear rockers to compliment my side skirt. I think it will look find without the side spats if you don't have the side skirts. Try it and let me know how it turns out. Good luck

Vinh

So Vinh what are side skirts and where did you get them? btw were did you get your front and side kits and how much would something like that cost.

I will keep you informed when I get back to work on it , i am working night and day right now, I am hoping to get back at it next month.

later bob

DavyZ,

Oh my bad. The "CH" in Vietnamese pronouce like "J".

Bob,

The side skirts I got from Jim Cook Racing. The front is the MSA type 2 front spoiler which I modified the hell out of it. The JCR side skirts are not the same as the MSA type 2 side skirts. I don't think they make them any more. I see them in the catalog but when I order them MSA sent me the wrong one. You can see I molded everything into the car. Believe it or not after 9 years everything is still holding up pretty good. No cracks. I guess I did a good job with the fiber glass lol.

Check out the other thread about the 3 piece spoiler. I have some info in there how to modify the front MSA spoiler to look better. Good luck.

Vinh

• 1 month later...

Best I came up with is this. Shave the bumper, then cut the brackets behind the skirt and mount a cross bar behind the skirt on the cut / reduced brackets, so now you have "a hidden bumper" it still protects the fuel tank and can be pointed out to any officers so inclined to inquire.

well my plan is to install a steel channel and cover it , I think I can do it , I have been super busy so haven't had time to do ay work, I am hoping to get back at it within the next 2 weeks , if I do I will post some pics then, I know there is a lot more to do to it than the earlier models but I have to work with what I have oh well , later bob

The 280ZXs are not good looking with flares unless you flare the whole fender IMO. When I build this car I thought about puting flares on it also and I looked into the Kaminari full fender flare kits. They were too expensive and their design were not 100% either. The Kaminari full fender kits didn't take care of the obvious ugliness of the whole car and that is the 2 bumpers. So I didn't go with it.