HybridZ

oil pickup mod question

yo880

Hi Guys,

i am installing an RB25 into a 74 skyline, and while it isn't quite a Z, i couldn't think of a better forum to ask this :)

To get clearence around my engine crossmember, i had my RB25 oil sump modified to take about 2 inches off the rear of the sump (and added a bit of volume to the front). After getting the sump back and while getting ready to fit it, i realised that the oil pickup now won't fit into the sump :( it hits the sump just below the mounting point, and also at the oil pickup mesh "hat"

i was speaking to a friend who thought we could modify the pickup a little by cutting the middle section of the pickup off (between the mounting point and around 2"s from the pickup), and braise a copper pipe with a similar diameter, bent to fit properly

Is this a good idea? is there anything i need to think about before doing this? i assume the oil pickup end needs to be horizontal, is there an issue with flow if i bring it into a 90 degree bend straight from the mounting location (there isn't much clearence)?

You should be fine with that mod. Just make sure the whole pick up arrangement is braced, and you will be ok.

The 90 deg bend will have no effect, long as its not crimped...

Most guys here that put the RB into the Zcar have to cut and braze together a new p/u, due to having a rear sump arrangement. I just went ahead with a custom alum pan, with a external p/u mod to solve my rear sump issue, but its not a must...

In short, I'd say your idea will work out ok for you.

j.

Ok its been a while but if i remember right arn't the skylines front sump pans? I know when i went to a l28 in my newman i had to swap pans and pickups. i was kinda thinking that the front sump pan that come on the rb25 out of a skyline would work. is this not true?