HybridZ

Well I got ripped off on that caddy 425.

Some-Guy

I started pulling the motor apart yesterday and as I was taking accesories and stuff off I noticed that half the bolts arnt tight or anything and once I got the intake and that kinda crap off and almost had the heads off I realized there was a big ass hole in the casting... like 2.5x2.5 inches goes right into the cavity where the water pump is.. basically iam thinking the guy took it apart realized it was crap and he didnt have the means to move it so put it back together and gave it away as RUNNING. which piss's me off Iam considering driving back out there and dropping it in his driveway. heres some pics Iam seriously mad waste of like 3 hours picking it up and moving it and all that.

Iam wondering if its possible to weld this up, you can get cast rod think its even worth a shot?

100_0929.jpg

100_0928.jpg

100_0927.jpg

those arent supposed to be there, especially the hole near the back of the water pump, at the bottom one, it looks like someone smoothed it out, they propably had a broken push rod and it knocked a couple holes..

hold on, the holes above the cam are supposed to be there, but the hole near the water pump isnt..

the pick&pulls had a 1/2 off weekend-get a 472-why not more cubes for same weight.or a 500.there is a shop the builds caddy speed parts but i dont know the name right know-try google.i would find out what the best cylinder head casting # are buy a 472 with good heads-i think 500 had low compression heads.

weird... iam going to poor water in where the thermostat was and see if it comes out that hole. it just looks wrong and out of place.

If you must. However a quick glance will tell you that water doesn't go in the fornt of the block where the timing chain sits. That area is also open to the front of the oil pan too.

The frontcover is the rear mounting surface for the water pump, and water only flows through the holes on the sides of the cover/block area.

Guest kwikcad500

SOME-GUY,

That hole IS supposed to be there, its how the 425 block was cast! I have a 425 right in front of me and it is the same as yours. The 472 and 500 Caddy blocks have a smaller oval shape hole in the front of the lifter valley. It acts as a vent window and an oil drain back. 425 block is swiss cheesed compared to 472/500, its call weight reduction. There is NOTHING wrong with your 425 block.