HybridZ

I put a 3.36 rear diff into my z and damn

Overkill Z

That gear ratio on a NA L28 engine should make the car accelerate slower, but you'll be able to go to a higher speed in each gear. I'm wondering if you really put in a 3.36, or maybe you actually got a 3.90 or something. A 3.90 would definitely make the car faster.

This might help others trying to figure out what gear ratio to get: http://www.geocities.com/z_design_studio/

well thats what they said it was...and its not a HUGE diff like i tihnk a 3.9 would be...

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

well thats what they said it was...and its not a HUGE diff like i tihnk a 3.9 would be...

??? are you saying that you are expecting a 3.9 to be a bigger unit? This is not the case a R200 is a R200 no mater what ratio is in side. If you did not pull the back cover and see the number stamped into the crown wheel then how do you know 100% what you have? A 3.36 should have 37:11 on it. What is powering your zed? If a V8, turbo L28, V6 etc like Jon said then I would think this would be better suited to these engines with the right transmission. I am going the other way - pulling out a 3.9 to install a 4.11 as the 4.11 is better suited to my L28 with my Skyline R32 gearbox (same mod as installing the 240sx gearbox but the Skyline is shorter so no drive shaft mods as it is the same lenght as the stock B box).

If your car still has a L6 engine then the 3.36 would have meant you can stay in any given gear longer = slower reving but higher speed vs a lower ratio (ie 4.11)

I will post my source for the 3.364 once I get mine and make sure it is good. I would not want to recommend something or somebody prematurely. I will post my opinion after I get it installed and running. I am not setting up this car for out of the hole. There were 2 options to get the desired top end speed I was looking for for closed circuit events. Change from the 1:1 4 speed 4 th gear ratio to an OD unit or swap the 3.9 for a 3.364 both got me to 145 - 155 mph top end with the tire diameter I have. So I went the low dollar route as usual. I was glad to see this post.

Mike321go Is yours a strictly street application with a lean towards dragging?

This whole thread is kinda wierd. A higher gear ratio (smaller number) would (should) slow you down (acceleration) as it provides less torque to the rear wheels. Yeah, I know a turbo car can use that, but 95% of the time, the lower gear ratio (high number) will be quicker, but not ultimately faster. The only advantage of higher gears would be if you had a real torque monster in the low RPM range, like a diesel.

??? are you saying that you are expecting a 3.9 to be a bigger unit? This is not the case a R200 is a R200 no mater what ratio is in side. If you did not pull the back cover and see the number stamped into the crown wheel then how do you know 100% what you have? A 3.36 should have 37:11 on it. What is powering your zed? If a V8, turbo L28, V6 etc like Jon said then I would think this would be better suited to these engines with the right transmission. I am going the other way - pulling out a 3.9 to install a 4.11 as the 4.11 is better suited to my L28 with my Skyline R32 gearbox (same mod as installing the 240sx gearbox but the Skyline is shorter so no drive shaft mods as it is the same lenght as the stock B box).

If your car still has a L6 engine then the 3.36 would have meant you can stay in any given gear longer = slower reving but higher speed vs a lower ratio (ie 4.11)

NONONONON i ment BIG gear ratios i know they have the same pumkin

This whole thread is kinda wierd. A higher gear ratio (smaller number) would (should) slow you down (acceleration) as it provides less torque to the rear wheels. Yeah, I know a turbo car can use that, but 95% of the time, the lower gear ratio (high number) will be quicker, but not ultimately faster. The only advantage of higher gears would be if you had a real torque monster in the low RPM range, like a diesel.

you are right if u read what i said it made my car faster but its not as quick as it used to be...which is what the z needed! i found i was loosing to cars simply because i was shifting too many times...which would be great for tight courses like autocrossing..but driving it on the streets a lil longer gear ratio helped the car perform better...sure i dont get off the line as fast as i used to... but i have enough power i still rape evos and i posted in the thred what iv done to my motor too by all means its NOT stock

BOZ... I'm looking for higher gears because mine is a daily driver and sees a fair amount of highway speeds. There is a big difference between punching the throttle when at a dead stop compared to when you're already doing 30+ MPH.

Terry, I know that's what makes sense mathematically, but talk to Scottie or some of the other drag racers. They want tall gears with their turbos, and they go faster with them. I had a bit of a hard time coming to grips with the idea myself, but it's been shown enough times that I don't doubt what they say anymore.

It might not be faster coming out of a corner at xxxx rpm, but for straight line acceleration, it is what it is.

That's why I mentioned the turbo set-up. They create a lot of torque, and can take advantage of this. My 4:11 set-up lets me get to 60 MPH at the end of second gear. This is great if I want to out pull someone and not get to dangerous speeds on the street. If you're racing someone, and you need to get up to 130 MPH to beat them, then you deserve the win.

Generally, a taller gear with a turbo motor lets you stay "in the boost" longer. The added load from the tall gear spools the turbo that much harder. This is the same reason that my turbo Z loves climbing hills. I have a 3.54 but would love to go taller. In first gear, the tach goes by so quickly that the turbo can't catch up.

Jmortenson: I have a correction for you.

The 260Z only had the 3.36 R180 with the automatic tranny.

That gear speed claculator said it came with the manual tranny but that is not right. The manual came with the 3.54 R180 rear end.

260 2+2s have 3:36 R200s. I pulled one a few months ago out of a manual 260Z 2+2.