HybridZ

FAIRLADY Z Ebay

EvilC

Guest 280ZForce
S31-011637 = 1978 production year.

It left the factory as an L20E engined 'C-S31' model Fairlady Z-L.

Can you show me where you find this info? So I can send it to the seller asap to prove this to him.

I emailed him about his ebay auction...

My email to him...

I hope someone has already contacted you about this. The 1st

pics you had up were very skeptical about it being a 1970 240z.

Then your latest pics clearly show it not to be a 240z. Then

when the VIN # was provided in the pics, it was made positive

that this car is in fact a 1978 Datsun 280z Fairlady Z-L.

So I would change the title and your description to show the

corrections that need to be made. Because you don't want any

legal trouble when the next owner finds out it's not what you say

it is.

Thanks - Justin

Then his response minutes ago...

I LISTED AS 1970 THIS CAR CAME FROM JAPAN AND THE DMV REGISTERED AS 1970 BECOUSE THE TAGS ARE IN JAPANIS AND NO PRODUCION DATE IS ON ANY TAG NOTE THE VIN IS DIFFRENT FROM REGULAR DATSUN VIN #S31011637

I think he is convinced it's a 1970 cuz the 'title' says so...lol. Please someone get me a link on this info asap.

Thanks - Justin

Guest 280ZForce
I wonder if the owner is on zcar.com...

...purist. Ahh, leave him be. Once people don't buy it maybe he'll figure something out. Or if some idiot buys it for 5k maybe they'll make something worthwhile out of it.

If he was a purist, then he would know the true history of the car he owns. I think he bought into it and someone put it in a loop hole as a 1970 for DMV and import reasons and so it didn't have to be smogged and he has no idea about the z car history and believed all the BS from previous owner.

Regardless, it's a Fairlady and I'd love to own it if I could. Doesn't live too far from me, but I can't keep another car at my house right now.

Can you show me where you find this info? So I can send it to the seller asap to prove this to him.

The data comes direct from the records filed by Nissan Jidosha K.K ( Nissan Motors ) with the 'Nihon Jidosha Kogyo Kai' ( roughly; Japan Auto Manufacturers Association ) - which cover the VIN number / body serial number sequences for Japanese domestic models per year of manufacture.

As far as I am aware, they are not available at any internet-based site that I can give you a 'link' to. You'll have to take my word for it.

If you want to, you can tell the seller that the 'S31' models ( C-S31 and C-GS31 ) were not launched until the 1976 production year. I identified the car in question as a 1978 production year car because the records show that the last 2-seater ( 'C-S31' ) model with the 'S31' VIN prefix made in 1977 production year was given the body serial number 011327. The first for 1978 was - of course - 011328. Final 1978 production body number was 012098.

Note that 2-seater body number sequences and 2+2 body number sequences were different. No good comparing one to the other.

You gave him some bad data yourself:

Then when the VIN # was provided in the pics, it was made positive that this car is in fact a 1978 Datsun 280z Fairlady Z-L.

Note that this is not a 'Datsun', and it is not a '280Z'. It is a 'Nissan Fairlady Z-L', and the engine currently fitted is not what it left the factory with ( it would have been an L20E ).

Alan T.

Guest 280ZForce
You gave him some bad data yourself:

Note that this is not a 'Datsun'' date=' and it is [i']not[/i] a '280Z'. It is a 'Nissan Fairlady Z-L', and the engine currently fitted is not what it left the factory with ( it would have been an L20E ).

Alan T.

Yes, I am aware of that after I sent it. I have since then resent another email correcting that and stating about the L20E engine and everything else. As well I mentioned the power door locks and power windows and also the taillights were not on the 1970 Fairlady's and they weren't introduced until 1976.

Guest 280ZForce

haha...this was his newest reply...

THANKS FOR THE INFO. I KNOW MORE THEN YOU ABOUT Z HYSTORY I HAVE OWN ABOUT 20 I YES FINISH A RESTORATION ON MY 71 240Z.

i then sent him what you told me about Manufacturing dates and VIN #s...thanks Alan.

Guest 280ZForce

So the auction didn't reach his reserve. I gave him a call and he is looking to get $3,800 for it.

He bought the car 3 months ago and works at a auto repair shop, but since he bought the car he has sunk into a few other money pits and found himself not going to have the time and money to get onto the Fairlday, so he is forced to sell it cuz of financial issues.

What would you guys pay for this car seriously? I'm thinking about going to take a look at it since he is not far from me. But I need a realistic offer for a jdm car. It supposedly will start up w/ some spraying some carb cleaner but wont stay running, he is assuming it's a bad fuel pump. He thinks the car has just been sitting around from the previous owner and needs some major TLC.

What do you guys think of it as a project car? My friend and I are interested in buying it and storing it inside and working on it when we can.

Just looking for advice on what we should be looking for when we go to look at it and make an offer on it.

Thanks in advance - Justin

Its hard to say what a fair value is. Everyone talks about the value of Fairlady Z's but I never see them sell for the $$$'s here in the U.S. Actually I have seen them sell for less than a comparable 240Z or 280Z.

While the Fairlady Z I have is a 2+2, I picked it up for a third of the price than the one you are looking at. It was complete and had minimal rust. Floor boards are perfect. Even after sitting for a few years it started up and I drove it home.

Personally I would not give more than $2,000.00 for it based on the photos. Most likely even less after seeing it in person.