HybridZ

VG30DETT or RB26DETT

Guest fastbamazen

Guest fastbamazen

Well I am new to HybridZ so I will introduce myself. My name is James and I am a firefighter in Iraq. I am from Dothan Alabama and I have a 91 300 VG30DE automatic and a 05 350 35th Anniversary. Both are stock at this point and I just bought my 05 last months while here in Iraq and havent even drove it yet, be home on the 7th. :burnout:

I have a dilemma. For a long time I have wanted to put the time and money into my 300 but just havent had either until now. I can't decide if I should really lay it down and get the RB26 and all the extras or if I should keep it simple and drop in a VG30DETT, 6 speed, garrett turbo, jun stroker kit, ect... you get the picture.

Either way I am looking at totaly rebuilding my 300 from ground up and a good amount of time and money so I want to do it right. I am looking for well over 500 on the dyno, no nos.

I just need some thoughts before I start work and also some good links. I have been looking for two months and can't really tell who is going to be my best source for a quality block.

Thanks for your thoughts.

Hey bud, Well Dave who is local here in Mobile AL, put the RB26Dett in his Z32. he did everything himself and it works great. Its also really quick and pretty much stock right now. You need to ask yourself what you would like to have. The VG also makes some pretty mean power and tq but is a pain to work on and doesnt rev like the RB. I do know Dave really likes the RB swap and would never go back. Maybe he will chime in.

Oh, and welcome to HybridZ and also get home SAFE!!

• 3 weeks later...
Guest TeamNissan

There is another thread about this. They are both good engines it just depends on what you want. Comes down to when you want your tq. vg is a monster down low and the rb is revy so it gets it up high.

For your app I would stick vg, its a bitch to work on but a hell of alot easier then fitting a rb26 lol. Much cheaper too..... Good luck w/e you decide.

Another alternative is the JDM VG30DET, the single turbo engine I'm using in my project. Subject to frame rail/body clearance, a GT32R turbo will bolt on and with your other mods should do close to 500 at the wheels. A GT40 will certainly do it and more. You could use bits off the VG30DE such as mounts too.

Hope you are enjoying Iraq :twisted:

• 3 weeks later...

I think if you are going to spend bucks, better off sell the 300 NA and get a 300ZX TT with a manual trans to begin with, then if you wan to mod it you will already have a better differential, axles, brakes, clutch setup, resale value, etc... A hard lesson but one of the best.

Good luck

Guest TeamNissan
I think if you are going to spend bucks, better off sell the 300 NA and get a 300ZX TT with a manual trans to begin with, then if you wan to mod it you will already have a better differential, axles, brakes, clutch setup, resale value, etc... A hard lesson but one of the best.

Good luck

The n/a diff is actualy better then the tt one, just for the record.

Guest TeamNissan

ya thats correct but the n/a ratio is better then the TT which why alot of TT guys swap n/a diffs into thier TT's. Your not going to break either diffs with the hp hes looking for hence go with the beter ratio.

Besides all that you get cheaper insurence using the n/a and the clutch set up would be the same.......

just saw this thread. I am the one who put a rb26 in the z32 and am in mobile, al. As far as the COG - the engine sits farther forward about 6.5" and sits a little lower overall in the car. the car actually weighs less with the rb26. As far as price, i got my motor for a steal. This swap may not be for everyone, but it is nice to be able to change the spark plugs in 15 minutes and to not worry about how many days it will take to change out the turbos. I am not knocking the vg engine, but i am a tall person and it was hard to work on that thing.

I know a lot of people will argue about the performance of both engines and they are great, but my preference is the rb and its capability to pull very strong in the high rpm range.

I am thinking about doing a RB conversion. Down here in australia, I can pick up a RB26dett for probably 4k (I am currently looking at a RB30 block with RB30 sump and internals that has the RB26dett head, oil pump and cooler. This is going for 2k nz$ or a bit over 1000US, Is this a good option?)

I did want to do a LS1 swap, but the engine would cost about the same here as the RB26, and I don't know how easy it would be considering all the info here is geared up for LHD cars and I could do the RB30dett bolt up for cheaper again?

ya thats correct but the n/a ratio is better then the TT which why alot of TT guys swap n/a diffs into thier TT's. Your not going to break either diffs with the hp hes looking for hence go with the beter ratio.

Besides all that you get cheaper insurence using the n/a and the clutch set up would be the same.......

Its been proven that turbo cars are quicker with lower ratio differentials... the TT diff would be better. Even better yet would be the Q45 differential or, if you go absolutely crazy, the Armada differential. It has two options of 3.36 or 2.94. The Armada differential is also an R230 but looks even beefier than the TTZ R230 (axle wise).

Guest TeamNissan
Its been proven that turbo cars are quicker with lower ratio differentials... the TT diff would be better. Even better yet would be the Q45 differential or, if you go absolutely crazy, the Armada differential. It has two options of 3.36 or 2.94. The Armada differential is also an R230 but looks even beefier than the TTZ R230 (axle wise).

n/a z32 diffs have been proven to give the tt z32 a better 1/4 time, time and time again and on my personal tt so Idk what you are talking about.

Guest fastbamazen

Thanks for all the replys guys! I will probably be taking some time with any purchase as of now. I will be in Iraq for another year but I am still taking notes and will deff. stay Z, so keep posting. Anybody done any business with Z1Motorsports? I am thinking about just letting them take care of the build. If i do I am going for that 1k mark.

Guest TeamNissan

z1 motorsports is a fantastic shop, a lil pricey but te best in the biz fo z32's are far as I'm concerned. If you have that kind of money, they will get you to that 1k mark with no prob.

I believe one of the owner/managers has a 1000+hp convertible widebody tt z32, you can see it on thier site, dyno sheets and all.