HybridZ

anyone want a jag suspension?

there is a complete jag rear suspension on ebay for 250 bucks!!! is that good? http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/aw-cgi/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=597890810&r=0&t=0&showTutorial=0&ed=1006184925&indexURL=0&rd=1

heres what you can do if you got the bucks http://www.bryanf.com/mycars/yf/rsusp.htm

man thats tempting ;> wonder how strong the jag rearend is?

Guest Anonymous

They had one last week go for about that too. The neat thing about the Jag is the cradle it hangs from is very flat on top, wouldn't require much imagination to put it in.

Plus you get inboard disc brakes, which looks trick as hell, not sure if theres a advantage, maybe unsprung weight. It might even wear the halfshaft joints a bit more since its doing double duty in acceleration and braking loads.

If I could have gotten one cheap, I'd probably consider it, but if you want something to take a bunch of power, I'd probably look elsewhere. The Jag rearend (IMHO) is beautiful polished or chromed and thats why the roadster guys like them (besides ease of mounting...), but despite the power the roadster guys usually have, you don't see them smoking the wheels at every opportunity. They're more the cruise and park crowd. They did use them in the cobra as far as I know, but these days theres stronger IRS's (9" conversions and such). *shrug*

Lone

i agree but from the sounds of it lots of options to make stronger ie really big shafts. And i did notice how easy it would be to get in the z car. and at 250 bucks lots cheaper then a solid axle mod.

Ill prabably just go with the cv upgrade but the jag rearend looks trick. would cost an arm and leg to get it here to alaska

anyone out there ever do one in a z?

I've driven a Cobra Kit car with a 454 and squirt bottle, with the Jag rearend. Even with the 285mm wide rear tyres, that thing would break loose at 1/2 throttle. Handled pretty nicely, but the power oversteer was a little intimidating. I was seriously thinking of going this route w/ the Z, and might still do it....these units are a dime a dozen in the JYs. The pads are a major PITA to change though!!

Tim

the "normal" jag rearend is mounted like that?

has the big half shafts and what not?

hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm, ive spotted a couple jags in the jy not far from me, sounds like it wouldnt be that hard, i know that jtr does make a kit for the v8 into a jag so i know it would take the power too.....

Guest Anonymous

Yeah, Len, its just a cradle that it all hangs from. The shafts become in effect the upper control arms, so you'd need to shorten the shafts and look at the bottom control arms to find out if they can be shortened or if custom ones are needed. Honestly from the looks of it, it looks like its one of the easier options I've seen so far. Some of them have 2 coil overs some have 4 all are mounted onto the cradle!

In my opinion, its one of the prettier IRS's your likely to find, specially polished or chromed. The one I saw for about 250.00 was from a XJ6 and that was hub to hub with the cradle. That may have been a steal I donno much about jag used parts, but even at double that, its a nice unit. *shrug*

Regards,

Lone

Awhile back I did some research on the Jag XJ6 IRS and this is what I found. Most are open differentials, which would necessitate finding a LSD unit for it. The gearing is not the best. Again, most come out of the luxury sedan with automatic transmissions and the gear ratios are 2.88, 3.01 or the rare 3.54. Lastly, the track for the XJ6 JAG is 59" so all the control arms and the axles would need to be shortened for the older Z track. Many other items would need altered but with enough $ anything is possible. I almost forgot. The half shafts are u-joints not CV joints so back to what we already have. IMO, to make the JAG IRS work is a huge amount of work with little if any gain over what most people already have.

The Jag rear is a Dana center section, most are posi. Mine is 52 flange to flange.(what is a Z car?) Gears are out there and not all that much. Anyone with welding skills can make the mounts very simple. the lower control arm will have to be shortened also easy to fab up. Now the axles,the stock one might not be shortened, but the replacements I've seen are just small drive shafts that the local shaft shop can fab up. The u-joints are a lot bigger and heavyier then the Z's. They haul around a 5000lbs car. I'm going try one under mine. It will be a while. Just started my 250 GTO body tonite.