HybridZ

Which is Better

bakerz

I have those crappy DGV carbs and about 3 or 4 people tell me to stop trying with them and get SU's or go fuel injected.

So what do all of you guys think? I have already payed a guy that works on only z cars to rebuild the DGV's, but he will rebuild SU's if I get them.

If SU's :Would it be worth the money to go with Ztherapy SU's or get some off ebay and have the guy rebuild them for me?

If FI: what's a good setup?

• Administrators
I have those crappy DGV carbs and about 3 or 4 people tell me to stop trying with them and get SU's or go fuel injected.

Add me to the list.

If SU's :Would it be worth the money to go with Ztherapy SU's or get some off ebay and have the guy rebuild them for me?

I have not personally used Ztherapy's carbs... but his reputation is hard to beat. I wouldn't hestitate to use Steves carbs.

If FI: what's a good setup?

There are a number of choices... with advantages and disadvantages. You'll get a more useful answer if you share your goals with the car. Fill us in?

• 5 months later...

IMO, SU & EFI >>>>> DGV

and from everyone's feedback who has purchased the ZT carbs, i feel comfortable in saying that it is worth it.

as far as EFI vs SU, there will be 2 camps on that issue. i have SUs on my car, but i feel that EFI has the greater power potential because of the metering involved. but do yourself a favor and switch to some SUs

I have had no problems to speak of with my DGV carbs. Worked for 15 years and were smog legal.

The only reason I ent to DGV's is the SU throttle shafts leaked. Rebuilding SU's with worn throttle shafts (i.e. any original carb) cost as much as the Weber conversion, hence the swap.

I am not sure why people think the DGV's are crappy. They do make the car easier to start in cold weather. The only issue I had with them is prolonged idling with a cold engine will cause fuel to puddle in the intakes. This causes some stubbling and black soot the next time the throttles are blipped. But this seems minor to me.

Having said all that if I had it to do over I would have paid the $600 (in 1992) and rebuilt the SU's. Just like the looks of them better.

If you have SU's rebuilt MAKE SURE THEY REBUILD THE THROTTLE SHAFTS. Z Therapy installs some type of external seals. IMO might as well get them straight from the source.

yea. i think it was well worth the conversion. i dont get the black soot but it does stumble if i sit at a light too long or if im in traffic, maybe cuz 1300idle and running a little rich(prolly why my mpg is such S***)