HybridZ

'69 Chevy crossram intake.....

http://www.camaro-untoldsecrets.com/articles/crossram.htm

Ive used the orriginal z28 cross ram, the offy intake thats similar and the single carb SY1 by edelbrock, the orriginal chevy intake is not the best,for power, leave it to the collectors

you can have an offy intake with linkage NEW for under $600

the SY1 is not current production, but common on EBAY in good condition for under $500

I actually had a Sb FORD version of this intake, was a Hollman and Moody experimental piece from the 60's made by Edelbrock. Took one hell of a cam to make it work but it made good torque and HP compared to a tunnel ram. I sold it at a swap meet in Raleigh 5-6 yrs ago for $500 and a new set of 10.5 x 15 slick on weld wheels. It sure looked cool on my 65 Falcon (took mods to get it under the hood) but I wrecked it hard at Rockingham Dragstrip and parted it out..maybe I can find some old pics

I recently drove two original 1969 Z/28's. One had the crossram and one had the single 4-barrel intake. Although the crossram car was cool to look at it started much harder and made the already poor low-end power even worse. The 4-barrel car was much more enjoyable to drive on the street.

even smokey Y stated several times the x-ram was designed for racing in the 3500-7500rpm band and would not be a good street combo

BTW WE always used a CRANE 110921 (4.11-4-88 gears)0r 114681 (3.73-3.90 gears)cam as it was the best match, the chevy 3965754 never worked nearly as well

I have one of the Offy cross rams and was thinking of putting 2 670cfm 2bbl TBIs on it. I'm wondering if the fact that the vacuum signal isn't needed for the TBIs, if the power band would come down a bit. I'd be using it on a 406 with a solid roller that is close to the 114681 in specs.