HybridZ

Symptoms of bad LSD clutches?

BayAreaZT

First, I have not opened my diff yet to even verify I have a Z31 LSD but it is a 3.70:1 and it does have the finned cover. I bought the car with it installed and I know one of the previous owners did install one.

When I jack up the back and spin one of the wheels, the other one does not move at all. After reading some older posts, I should have checked turning the driveshaft too but I didn't do that test yet.

Is this a normal symptom of the clutches going bad? If they are bad, will I get any use out of the LSD or is it just an open diff now. I skimmed through the shimming thread but I'll have to go back and read it again to fully understand whats going on.

Also, if the fluids were changed but no LSD additive was added, would this cause any problems?

If it's a 300ZX diff it should have a Viscous LSD which uses motion transfer through liquid. Given the slow speed at which you can spin the tire by hand it wouldn't have enough momentum to turn the other side. No worries.

SEE HERE FOR MORE INFO ON VISCOUS LSD

Huh? If it has a viscious in it, I'd be surprised. Those are very rare. Its most likely a CLSD if its a LSD at all...

Huh? If it has a viscious in it, I'd be surprised. Those are very rare. Its most likely a CLSD if its a LSD at all...

I wasn't aware the 300ZX used a clutch type LSD. I only remember there being the open diff and the VLSD from the Shiro and turbo models.

In any case if the clutches are going bad the diff fluid will be dark grey or black from the wear.

If you turned one CV and the other did not rotate then the unit must have been spinning the driveshaft. In either case, this is an indication of a busted LSD. Probably just needs new clutches. Are you sure the E-Brake wasn't sticking? How much resistance was there to turning? The diff could just have a really weak breakaway setting though. Try holding a cv in place while turning the driveshaft. You should not be able to turn the driveshaft.

If it has gone bad, you basically have an open diff. You could easily check this by doing a burnout/peel out too btw. Just check the rubber patches. You should be able to feel it too.