HybridZ

Lt1 MSD opyispark question

deja

As I said the other day I think I have Optispark issues in my '94 Z28 donor car. I pulled a ton of stuff off this Camaro to get to the Optispark, OMG the engineers should be whipped for this design, LOL. As it turns out this car has a MSD ignition on it including the Optispark. There is a fitting on the driver's side bottom that has a hose attached, well what is left of a hose. It doesn't go anywhere and looks like it was either torn off or whoever put the Optispark on just used whatever he had on hand. There is no evidence of the rest of the hose. Does anyone know what this is supposed to be hooked to? I'm thinking it may be MSD's version of the vented Optispark? There is also a small hose on top that was hooked into the air inlet ducting.

msd2.jpg

Also what is the pict below? It was located on the front bottom driver's side of the engine and hooked into both exhaust manifold shields and to a couple electrical connections. I'm assuming this is some emission stuff?

no-clue1.jpg

That vented MSD Opti is supposed to draw air from the intake and exhaust it into the intake manifold. Not sure if the bottom is the inlet or outlet, but it shouldn't just be a short hose going nowhere connected to it. That could cause water to get in which will then create problems for you.

Here's a page that discusses Opti's:

http://para.noid.org/~muttvette/opti.html

I swpped from a non-vented to a vented Accel unit and I had to buy the vent lines and electrical harness as well. I think I found them both on eBay.

If you haven't visited shbox.com, you whould check it out. It's a great resource for LT1 engines. Here's a diagram of the opti venting:

http://shbox.com/ci/opti_vent.jpg

I think that other item you posted a picture of is your air pump. Whatever it is, it is part of the smog equipment.

I was hoping you'd respond.

Unforutatley Accel does not make a early 94 version or their Optispark. So its either shell out $500 for another or go stock GM for $288, think I'll go with the GM. My long term plans are to build up a 95 LT1 with some proformace stuff and at that point I'll probably go with the Accel.

I still can not believe all the stuff I had to remove from this engine just to get to the optispark. I can see why they got rid that thing when the went to the LSxx engines.

Just update your timing cover to a 95. Then you can buy the Accel. I think I paid like $30 for a timing cover a few years ago when I built my LT1. I bought a 96' though. I wouldn't recommend that though because it has a hole in the bottom of th timing cover for a crank sensor and you will have to block it off like I did.

I'm pretty sure that's an air pump.

The vent on top of the opti should go to the intake elbow and the bottom one should go to the intake manifold(that's the way I have it anyways and I haven't had any issues.

Guy

Just update your timing cover to a 95. Then you can buy the Accel. I think I paid like $30 for a timing cover a few years ago when I built my LT1. I bought a 96' though. I wouldn't recommend that though because it has a hole in the bottom of th timing cover for a crank sensor and you will have to block it off like I did.

I'm pretty sure that's an air pump.

The vent on top of the opti should go to the intake elbow and the bottom one should go to the intake manifold(that's the way I have it anyways and I haven't had any issues.

Guy

Thanks. From what everything I've read you still have to change the cam that uses a longer dowel pin, I think it might be something to do with the water pump hook-up. Also wiring harness needs to change. Maybe Accel has some how made that necassary.

Cool, the air pump is gone, I don't need to worry about meeting smog rules in Georgia.

The second picture is your AIR pump, it is an electronic pump that puts air into your exhaust lowering emissions and I think it also lengthens the life of your emission components.

Thanks, thats what I was hoping, what a nightmare in plumbing that this is. No smog rule in Georgia on any car over 25 years old.

When I had the 93' LT1 harness and ECM all I had to do when updating to the 95' opti was get a new harness for it. It will plug right into your current harness. As for the cam dowel pin, I beleive you can just buy the dowel and put it in the cam you have now. You just have to put it at the proper depth.

It just seems like a waste to buy a GM opti if you want the ACCEL unit. You will have to update it later anyways so you might as well do it now rather than speed $250+ on an opti that you won't want later.

Guy

As well as the dowel pin he might have to drill out the hole in the nose of the cam. The later model opti had a shaft that slid into a 1" X .5" hole in the cam that helped with alignment. I'm not positive of those exact dimensions but they are close to that, if you decide to swap to the 95 or later opti just measure the size of the shaft.

Wheelman

If you want to use a genuine GM non-vented Opti, I have one with less than 900 miles on it. Just send me a PM if you're interested.

ARGGG! Thanks that would have been great but of course I ordered one the other day, figures. I'm leaving for the Caribean on Thursday, it should be here when I get back. Hopefully that will get the engine started and I can start my swap soon.