HybridZ

FRP Doors... I want!!!!

Airjockie

Well.. What does the inside look like??? can you mount regulator mechanisms???

If they are just "race" doors... then you can get the factory doors pretty light this way...

240Zdoorskin.jpg

I like the idea of keeping the anti intrusion bar on the driver side at least...

280Zdoorskin.jpg

well, just as working on an aircraft, if your good at fabbing up stuff, re-enforcing the stress areas with sheets of aluminum, either by bonding them with hysol or riveting them into place, I'm sure a decent FRP door that is molded correctly will maintain all the properties of a normal door if fabbed right. I have seen CF doors for s13's and Skylines in Japan...and they were sweet, but damn near un-affordable for the normal person.

I made blade tips for the helicopters that Sikorsky presently builds for a few months, small parts bonding on composite parts has came a long way. I can take two pieces of CF, and join them together to be just as strong as one piece, and sometimes stronger, but not as flexible. But I was in that area of the factory for a short time, but got back out to the hangar where I normally belong...when the helicopters don't flow into the hanger, we sometimes have to go support other areas to get the flow going again.

I wish I had an autoclave in my garage....I'd be making some sick parts for everybody.

These offer a substantial weight savings but DAMN they're pricey. Rather than spend $1000+ after shipping is factored in, I'd be tempted to try and fab new doors from CF or FG. $1000 goes a LONG way toward materials and time... at least on my income.

I can take two pieces of CF, and join them together to be just as strong as one piece, and sometimes stronger, but not as flexible.

someone i know who gave me airplane grade fibreglass matting and a LONG lenght of woven fibre showed me this 2 part "structural adhesive" that he said just as strong or even stronger than almost anyhting you bond with it.

he showed me a license plate area that he made on his mk2 rabbit, and it was SOLID as any metal i've seen, he even hammered it with a chisel to show me how sturdy it was, and the chisel just bounced off and didnt even scratch it. so it still ahs a TINY bit of flex to it.

great stuff, he even uses it for bonding on side skirts and fibreglass panels with the paint still on, because it keeps out aiir better than sanding a panel down and welding it on without preping it right.

(which is why my 280z has a huge rusty rear end... both welding and fiberglassing over the welds left air pockets that slowly ate away at the rear area of the car.)

Nissan had FRP pieces for the 240, they accepted all the window mechanisim, and even had Perspex windows for even further weight reduction.

I have no doubt those will accept the window mechanisims, they look to be knockoff Nissan Units. It would be nice if they showed a photo of the backside of the doors.

I had to pass on a set of those doors in 1985 as they were $600 for the pair (including the "nissan" branded perspex rollup windows!) Yes, Yes Yes, I was in idiot, I know.... In 1991, another set showed up in Phoenix, I bought the car, but the owner kept the FRP Hood, Doors, and Hatch that were on the car at the time---all JDM pieces put on the car in 1976. Kills me to think of it to this day...

They indeed are nice. Take the springs out of the hinges if you install them... Same for the gas strut in the back--the stocker used a prop-rod!