HybridZ

The other CV swap

Instead of doing the MM swap I decided to go with parts I had sitting around.

I'm using the 240z (25 spline) stub axels, along with the 280zxt companion flange. I have the 240z dust shield ready to weld onto the zx companion flange. But I want to solve the problem of inner grease seal.

I looked for an R200 front pinion grease seal, but couldn't find one (although I didn't try nissan). I did get a generic grease seal with a 40mm ID, 74MM OD. The seal was metal and I could not shave it down to the required 73mm to press into the S30 strut assembly.

The outer wheel bearings are sealed and so do not use a grease seal. I simply ordered 4 new outer wheel bearings and will install them so that it seals the bearings properly. As far as I can tell the inner and outer bearings are identical except for the grease seal. Can anyone think of a problem with this solution? I'll throw some photos up later.

Thanks to Pete Paraska and Terry Oxandale for the writeups.

If you get 2 of the R200 front diff seals, you can remove the outer rubber coating (otherwise they are too wide), and they will work as your dust shield. I had to "massage" them in place, but they worked just fine with the 280zx companion flanges. It is what i used a while ago on my 77 280zt when I had a funky VLSD setup with AMC Eagle CV shafts.

....As far as I can tell the inner and outer bearings are identical except for the grease seal. Can anyone think of a problem with this solution?...

In addition to the seal, the other difference between the inner and outer rear wheel bearings (on the S30's) is that the outer bearing has an extra “lip” on one side. This lip is on the outside of the bearing. It’s function is to position the outer wheel bearing correctly on the stub axle. The stub axle has an inside radius where the axle meets the flange piece that holds the lug nut studs for the wheel.

The inside radius does not allow the bearing a definite “stop” location when it is being pressed on the axle shaft. The lip on the bearing makes contact with the axle flange piece and thus the bearing is positioned in the correct location.

This lip changes the overall thickness dimension of the bearing so I would not reccomend using it in the inner bearing location.

The inner rear wheel bearing is a standard bearing, available at any good bearing supply company.

....I looked for an R200 front pinion grease seal, but couldn't find one (although I didn't try nissan). I did get a generic grease seal with a 40mm ID, 74MM OD. The seal was metal and I could not shave it down to the required 73mm to press into the S30 strut assembly.....

The OD of the inner seal is 72mm, not 73mm. What you need is a 40 x 72 x 7 seal (again, a standard generic size):

40x72x7.jpg