HybridZ

How much power from cheap rebuild L28E?

cpt jack

Hi all im about to buy a L28E and its in ehhh condition came out of a running 280z from what i was told but hes selling for 100$ and i want to build a motor of my own, i was thinking if i did get it if i where to rering it, new gaskets, new waterpump and things like that, highperformance oilpump, and ms, and full port and polish... would this be good upgrades for at least 200+ hp? is this doable on a somewhat cheap foundation?

Guest Death69

it all depends on what you call "cheap". what you listed above would get you around 200 hp i believe. if you want everything to work together well though, i suggest getting new intake and exhuast also, along with some head work with all that you listed above. but how much were you thinkin of spending?

Yep its costly . i did a stroker kit on my 78 280 engine and all in all parts labor for machine work valve springs center line bore complete balance etc etc

I wanted to make sure it was done rite the first time i spent about 5 grand yes 5 gs man ended up with 230 at the crank with a 10 thou rpm red line nice on the open roads but costly .

Id try to get a turbo zx engine half as much money can be spent with more power or so ive heard .

Jason

• Administrators

Done cheaply, yes the engine could produce 200 crank HP, once, maybe even a few times up the rev range.

Spend some money on quality parts and quality machine work, spend some time verifying clearances, parts fitment etc and it could make that same 200 HP for a lot longer.

In short, spend “little” money now just to spend a LOT more later, or spend a “little more” now so you don’t have to spend any more later… Choice is yours…

;)

This was titled: "Can someone tell me what you think?"

The answer is I think that is the worst title for a thread I've seen in a long time. I changed the title, cpt jack in the future please try to use titles that give others an idea of what is in the thread before they open it. Helps other people search more efficiently.

Yep its costly . i did a stroker kit on my 78 280 engine and all in all parts labor for machine work valve springs center line bore complete balance etc etc

I wanted to make sure it was done rite the first time i spent about 5 grand yes 5 gs man ended up with 230 at the crank with a 10 thou rpm red line nice on the open roads but costly .

Id try to get a turbo zx engine half as much money can be spent with more power or so ive heard .

10K is WAY too high to be even close to a believable number for an L24 on a $5K budget, let alone an L31. Also 230 hp is WAY low for a stroker with induction and a cam to spin that high. I don't suppose you have any dyno sheets to show us regarding this miraculously high winding and low powered L series...

I, too will have to call B.S. on a large displacement (i.e. "stroker") L-Engine making only 230 at the crank at "10Krpm".

As someone who has a 1998cc L20A that really revs to 9500 rpms, and makes 205RWHP @ 8750rpms, I find the claim of only 230hp to the crank not only ridiculous, but smke and mirrors. I am with JM in the request for a Dyno Sheet showing a real 10K RPM run.

That indeed, is well underpowered for that rpm capability and displacement.

Most JDM L24 Builders were making 100HP more than that to the crankshaft long ago, and with 1000 less rpms claimed.

Our L28 non-stroker engine made 320 to the rear wheels at 8250, and it was only .040" overbored...

"I Second the B.S. Motion!"

• Administrators
I, too will have to call B.S. on a large displacement (i.e. "stroker") L-Engine making only 230 at the crank at "10Krpm".

"I Second the B.S. Motion!"

As an engine builder/tuner myself, I third this motion to call B.S. for all the reasons already stated…

10K rpm seams a bit high for an L series motor making only 230... and not really usefull anyway IMO...

FWIW; I did basicaly what you are talking about with my stock 280z L28. Mine was previously rebuilt (about 2000ks on it MAYBE) so I lucked out by not having to buy pistons, rings or bearings, as they were all in mint condition. (I also had a buddy who builds engines help me out a lot)

It's an N42 block and head w/stock valves and heavier springs, new timing chain/gears, replaced all gaskets, a turbo zx oil pump, Colt cams .510/280 cam, and the stock manifold to an open 2" exhast. Runs on 72' SU carbs and a 280zx dizzy w/MSD 6A box. The 3:90 rear gear and 240sx 5 gear went in at the same time too.

The cam is suposed to make power to 6500, but due to an issue currently with the MSD box (maybe..) and the fact that the SU's just cant feed enough air to the engine, I'm out of 'pull' by around 5000rpm. No dyno sheets, but we've calculated it to be roughly 200ish horse. Feels about right to, cause it pulls a lot better than it did in stock form and the LUMPY idle is pretty cool.. :flamedevil: I still can't get past built stangs or camaros, but it hangs pretty good, and it's fun to drive either way. :)

I'm into it for about $1400, but like I said, I got lucky with the main bulk of engine mechanicals being good to use. I'd say you're into at least $2500 to do something decent, but you'll be happy with it in the end.

Oh and about the BS power numbers i must say when it was engine dynoed at 7,000 ft above sea level so minus 25-30% of the horses for the thin air ...So at sea level were looking at oh 285 horses at the crank .

I had the money so i did it it was as datsunlover says "kinda useless" and it was i rarely had it over 7 ran it to about 8,500 once what a ride that was 4.11 gears doing well over 120 mph maybe 125 but the car started to float so i never ran it that high again .

Saw a thread someplace about a stroker engine built by rebello racing putting out 310 -320 horses at 11 thou rpms way more work then what was done with mine .

Yep 10 k was my redline i had so much machine work done it wasnt funy each piston only fit 1 sleve as each space was bored to fit the exact measurment of the piston crank balanced to within 1 gram of centerline .

I had a nasty cam that was made by the engine builder rpm power range was 3,500 rpm to 9 grand . . had a company make a stall converter wit a 4,000 rpm stall speed as i used the 3 speed auto and 4.11 rear diff gears .

Also ran a 500 cfm 4 bbl carb and Arizona z car intake manifold i could run 100 iles non stop at 4,500 rpm at 80 mph and stop and idle just as smooth as could be .

i guess i went overboard with that one same goes for my V8 swap i have a V8 in my z now but one on a stand im building to get a 8 thou rpm red line maybe 9 if i can get it done .

Jason

LOL. O.K.

"I stand Corrected"

BTW, 6035 Ft is different that 7000 feet, so giving for the 15.9% exaggeration in elevation applied to the 10K rpm redline claim, I see that it equates to a 8621 rpm redline. Which is at least somewhat believable. Dave Rebello would laugh in your face saying he ever said he made an 11,000rpm L-Engine. He gets those 320HP numbers at well below five digit engine speeds...

ROMFALOL

• 4 weeks later...

I just dynoed my bone stock 250k + mile L28 with a hybrid T3/T04E ,npr intercooler ,550cc injectors, top end performance fuel rail,msd ignition,240sx throtle body,and a F9 Haltech.......@ 15 psi 321hp 361 tq.

all day long in my 2100 lbs early 260z

laamenasa.jpg

laamenasa.jpg

• 1 year later...

Tommy, do you have more pictures of your car which you can show us. Thanks

Dave

I just dynoed my bone stock 250k + mile L28 with a hybrid T3/T04E ,npr intercooler ,550cc injectors, top end performance fuel rail,msd ignition,240sx throtle body,and a F9 Haltech.......@ 15 psi 321hp 361 tq.

all day long in my 2100 lbs early 260z

laamenasa.jpg

laamenasa.jpg