HybridZ

Sell me your Z - I have a $10k budget - help me find my next Z

Bob_H

Well,

I am selling my miata as my daily driver - I'm just plain too big to drive in this every day for 80 miles... its not comfortable. I have cruised the classifieds for a month or so on all three sites to no avail. About a month ago there were some promising ones if I had been in the market at the time.

I decided to post this here instead of the Cars wanted for the discussion of what I should end up with.

Below I'll list what I'm looking for, what I won't accept, and other cars I have considered,(no commentary necessary about those.)

BUDGET: ~$10k. Don't have to spend that much, but that is what I'm allotting.

If you aren't familiar with my current project, visit this thread to see my long term project:

http://forums.hybridz.org/showthread.php?t=115751

Picture of that project attached at the bottom. Nevermind, can't post attachments in this forum.

I only post that to re-inforce that I AM NOT looking for another project!

I want something I can drive every day to work, (37 miles each way at 70mph), and track twice a month, (autocross and track days). My wife will also be driving the car - so super high power is not really an option,(400+whp) but I may consider it.

I have seriously considered some older S2000's, mid 90's M3's and 3rd gen RX-7's. I'm not 100% set yet, but need to see what options are out there at this time before I rule out another Z. Sometimes when you post a price range, people who hadn't thought about selling will consider it.

I'm willing to go with the simple and clean. A nice example would be something like this, (Dtsnlvrs):

http://www.geocities.com/superb60ce/71photos.html

Interior is very clean, paint is great, suspension has some work done and motor is tuned. I'm not looking for a bone stock motor. A 2.8L, tripples, well tuned SU's or some conversion,(V8 w/at least a 5 speed).

Here are some 'props' to cars I would be interested in:

240hokes

280zforce

There are plenty others out there - but I don't know if you are interested in selling,(hint to those guys I listed... :2thumbs:)

I will not consider automatics and bone stock cars don't really appeal to what I'm looking for.

There was a 240Z for sale last month with full sound deading, 2.8 with tripples, suspension/wheels, nice paint/interior and I think the price was $10k. Can't find it anymore since I believe its sold, but that would fit my requirements well.

I don't want to wrench on something. I can work with suspension since I have a full blow ITS adjustable suspension on my original Z, (the Datsun Workshop car), and can swap it pretty easy. No rust problems, no frame issues, as a matter of fact,

I can travel to pick this up - as long as your car can drive back to Corpus Christi, TX under its own power with no issues. If it has issues, then I'm not likely interested as I need a driver, not a project...(see the theme here?:-) ).

Pictures are a must! Besides, how can everyone else enjoy this thread if you don't put pictures of your Z here!

I'm pretty wide open on what I'll consider - just make sure its runs fantastic, is sorted and ready to go. Since I posted this in the forum instead of the classifieds - lets discuss various options.

-Bob

Hahahah You got that right!! Mine is definitly a project, always will be for that matter. Im flattered though.

I love BMW's they make great dailys, very smooth and comfortable with decent power. It will be hard to find an e36 M for 10 grand though, nice well kept ones are 13-15K for the mid 90's ones. Also they are known to be maintence nightmares, my buddy spent 10K on his in one year on maintence... he sold it for a 350z.

Hoever I daily drove a E36 325is for several years (now has 230K on it) without any problems whatsoever...I just bought a 2001 330Ci and I am really happy with it. With a few suspension mods they would be very nice at the track too. SO maybe consider a E36 328is?

Bob_H: Just go out and buy a N/A Z32! that is much better than a first gen Z for a daily driver.

Austin or Justin's car for $10k?:lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao:

I was going to get a Z32TT but I ended up getting my 2004 Frontier crewcab... very reliable and 21mpg plus I can haul Z engines!

It's really comfortable with adjustable lumbar support, heating and A/C (my z has neither), windows that seal, seating for 4 people or 5 if you cram, and it has big tires wrapped around some nice teflon coated aluminum rims!

How about a later 300ZX Turbo (Z31) or a Supra (3rd Gen) - 7MGTE....very quick, fun , relaxing cars and lots of room in there too.

You could buy a nice one for $5K, and have lots of pennies left over to put a sweet exhaust, turbo uprade, intercooler upgrade, supension upgrades, still pass emissions and have ice cold AC!!!

Yasin

Thanks for the fun!

If I decide to go ahead with the more modern cars etc.. my budget increases - however, there are good deals out there for less than $10k - and I have the time to look since I don't have to buy one right now. There are at least 2 RX-7's that are good candidates,(and I just missed the boat on a good deal that sold at $7500), and several M3's. S2000's are harder and the min. I can seem to find a decent one is about $11-12k. I set a limit of $10k for a Z knowing that I will be selling it in a few years, so I don't want to pay top dollar, but I will pay a good price.

I won't touch a Z32 for a daily driver - too many issues to deal with. I know you say "But an 3rd gen RX-7 can be a nightmare" and I agree. However, I have a future LS1 RX-7 project in the wings and a suspension swap project in very very slow progress which uses the RX-7 suspension so I'm willing to take that trade to start tuning that suspension on the track.

I'm just looking for a clean early Z to track and drive. An early 260z would be perfect esp. if it had A/C or at least provisions for A/C.

Now that I think about it, A/C is pretty important - not that its working, but that I can put it in,(I'm certified to work on them and can fabricate lines). 110 in the summer plus a flight suit makes for a hot day.

I did own a 3rd gen supra once - a 90 turbo. No thanks. Brakes absolutely SUCK - and I wasn't driving on the track! And when you took out the targa top, it shook like a fat girl belly dancing - it wasn't pretty. Great tourer though. I'm also trying to stay with lighter cars - they are easier on brakes/tires/etc.. on the track - equals less money spent on the go-fast crack pipe in the long run. That is why I have a miata - tires/brakes last forever on the track when the car weighs less than 2500 lbs.

-Bob

I'm not interested in the Impreza's - and I am very familiar with the 2.5RS - not for me. I'm sure you've heard of Pat Olsen and his exploits with his 2.5RS. Only Subaru I would like would be the STi, however, that is well out of my price bracket.

Thanks guys who have PM'd about a car - I'm still in the market. I thought I had a great line on a 98 M3 for a great deal - but no joy at this time.

-Bob

• 2 weeks later...
Guest 280ZForce

wow, I'm flattered as well. Thanks for the interest. Although I could sell the car and could use the money, I've put a lot of work (blood, sweat, money and tears) into it and it's my baby, would be hard to see her go. Plus, like Austin, still plenty of things I'd like to do to her.

Not even sure what she is worth cuz I don't look at my car being worth a price, it's priceless to me cuz I have a blast driving it and do the things I want with it and get looks everytime I drive it. I don't worry about what it's worth and long as I do to it what I want done and am satisfied with it.

But congrats on finding the M3, I'm sure you'll enjoy the luxury as well as good looks and power.