HybridZ

Powdercoating an engine block...will it work out?

OlderThanMe

just got back from the machine shop...They said they don't hot tank engines any more (government stopped hot-tanking?!?!)...they bake them.

I figured I'll just do my best with the flap wheel on a grinder and a presure washer and then the last little bit should be easy to get off after we outgas the block.

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

just got back from the machine shop...They said they don't hot tank engines any more (government stopped hot-tanking?!?!)...they bake them.

I figured I'll just do my best with the flap wheel on a grinder and a presure washer and then the last little bit should be easy to get off after we outgas the block.

which machine shop? You should still let them bake it, it will burn everything off, and do most of the outgassing for us.

Lawrenceville Auto parts with the machine shop in the basement... I am thinking I could drop the block off on Wednesday in the morning (like 10am) and then after I get off work at 5 we could do the motor after letting it outgas a couple hours.

I am going to spend tonight cleaning the block so that it will be 95% clean.

Lawrenceville Auto parts with the machine shop in the basement... I am thinking I could drop the block off on Wednesday in the morning (like 10am) and then after I get off work at 5 we could do the motor after letting it outgas a couple hours.

I am going to spend tonight cleaning the block so that it will be 95% clean.

sounds good. Teresa said bring Meatball subs! I just ordered the powder today, it 'should' be here by wed., but I didn't get a shipment email yet.

Roger that on the subs! (I work at a mom-n-pop pizza/pasta/sub place for those that don't know that...)

This is going to be great! The block is cleaning up nicely with the flap disc! it's much easier than I thought. I guess the cast iron is softer than steel...I have spent DAYS in welding class grinding steel with flap discs and that junk is hard!

Notice the lack of a Nissan or Japan insignia...ground off... :-)

I smoothed most of the block with a grinder with 80 and 120 grit flap discs. The area of the oil passages on the passenger side was a lot harder metal than elsewhere on the block?!?!?

I had the hardest time smoothing that section out.

That is sweet...

I am spending a few dollars on cad plating and there are a lot of colors to choose from... I thought about cad plating the struts.. But that will get too expensive...

As it is.. I can fill one basket with hardware and brackets and have it plated and color dipped for around $75.... as soon as I get the struts involved the process goes to over $250...

Cad plating is great stuff.. It wont chip like paint.. and it is self healing to a degree... But eventually it will corrode... especially if it gets stuff like wheel cleaner on it... and it does not hold paint well.. It tends to shed paint pretty fast...

Block turned out pretty nice.. :)

Hey Mike, how long did it take to get the L6 up to temp??

That is sweet...

I am spending a few dollars on cad plating and there are a lot of colors to choose from... I thought about cad plating the struts.. But that will get too expensive...

As it is.. I can fill one basket with hardware and brackets and have it plated and color dipped for around $75.... as soon as I get the struts involved the process goes to over $250...

Cad plating is great stuff.. It wont chip like paint.. and it is self healing to a degree... But eventually it will corrode... especially if it gets stuff like wheel cleaner on it... and it does not hold paint well.. It tends to shed paint pretty fast...

Speaking which... I am doing some trials to get powder to have that "cad" plated look. A local restorer wanted to see how close I could get it... They went in the oven tonight.. I'll post some pics hopefully tomorrow..

I have an E88 that is partially polished...I'll probably slap that back on because it does not need any work to get it working and only has 90,000 miles on it (rebuilt?)...

I have an MN47 but everything except the valves needs replacing...201,000 miles on it... I was going to slap the E88 cam,towers, rockers, etc but I don't have the time to set up a head. I have basically 12 days to build this engine...I leave for college Thursday and have 7 days after this semester to get the car fully operational for the ZdayZ at the tail of the dragon Z car show. The block is now at the machine shop getting a head bolt hole repaired and will be done on Monday. I cna put the shotblock back together on Tuesday. Tomorrow I am getting my gasket set and new rod bearings from advance auto...Nissan wanted $216 for rod and main bearings and the gasket set was $350 but NLA!?!?! I paid a total of $95 for rod bearings and gasket set at the local parts store...