HybridZ

Charging issues, still charges, just doesnt seem to charge enough

ZDreamin72

ALright guys, so i have a battery charging issue, brand new battery, new voltage regulator (external); the battery will charge when i have the car reved up, i had to jump start it to get it workin, and after about ten minutes at idle (600 RPM) it still would not restart afterwards; yet after running for about the same amount of time at 2,000 RPM it started right up, didn't check lights or anything durign the day; the voltmeter inside the vehicle still shows a charge, moves with revving and all as well; perplexed. Also when driving it the other day the radio would work as long as the engine was runnin above 1,000 RPM and would die at idle. Any ideas? Thanx for you help, anything to ovague or missing in this description let me know and i'll fill it in

it kinda sounds like a bad alternator... a friend of mine had the same problem on his 86 F-150 and the alternator was just putting out enough back to the battery but bearly....

Sounds like a blown diode in the alternator, I had a PL620 truck with a similar problem once

really, the only thing is its an externally regulated alternator, are there still diode within?

That's how it converts AC into DC. Personaly I wouldn't mess with changing it. I would replace it with a new one (not a rebuild, they never seem to last)

Alright guys, so i tested my alternator at idle, it gives no charge, and runs purely off of the battery; yet with even the slightest throttle, it charges, not enough, but it does, it slwoly climbs higher and higher; revving it higher and higher, eventually once it hits about 3,500 RPM it hits max charge and wouldnt charge any higher, 15.14v.; even at higher RPMs.

I figured it might be the Voltage Regulator, so i changed it out with an older one from another z; unsure about either being good i figured id try it, especially since i had to repair the wiring harness anywho; with the new one it still did not charge at idle; and did nearly the same thing when incresinge the revs; except at about 4,000 RPM it hits its max; 13.38v

THe battery was completely charged, with a standing voltage at 12.89v

So the question, as stated in the caption, is; which is bad? the voltage regulator(the original or the second) or the alternator itself; since it still seems to charge with raised RPM I am led to believe that the regulator is bad, both of them; am i wrong and the alternator still charges just has lost its charge?

If from what i hear, the vreg is adjustable; does this seem to be the problem? is the vreg out of adjsutment? if so; how do i adjust it?

Thanx guys, i know i already asked this question, but this is with new info, so i figured with this newly added info you might be able to help me. Thanx again guys

Alright guys, so i tested my alternator at idle, it gives no charge, and runs purely off of the battery; yet with even the slightest throttle, it charges, not enough, but it does, it slwoly climbs higher and higher; revving it higher and higher, eventually once it hits about 3,500 RPM it hits max charge and wouldnt charge any higher, 15.14v.; even at higher RPMs.

I figured it might be the Voltage Regulator, so i changed it out with an older one from another z; unsure about either being good i figured id try it, especially since i had to repair the wiring harness anywho; with the new one it still did not charge at idle; and did nearly the same thing when incresinge the revs; except at about 4,000 RPM it hits its max; 13.38v

So the question, as stated in the caption, is; which is bad? the voltage regulator(the original or the second) or the alternator itself; since it still seems to charge with raised RPM I am led to believe that the regulator is bad, both of them; am i wrong and the alternator still charges just has lost its charge?

If from what i hear, the vreg is adjustable; does this seem to be the problem? is the vreg out of adjsutment? if so; how do i adjust it?

Thanx guys, i know i already asked this question, but this is with new info, so i figured with this newly added info you might be able to help me. Thanx again guys

It really sounds like ur alternator man ive gone through 2 in a 4 months time period... no joke... they just make then like ♥♥♥♥ now... but take the alternator out and take it to autozone they can test it for FREE! god i love autozone... ahhh they betta love me too dumpin like 400+ a month there lol

If it is the alt, quit screwing with Advance and the Zone...Take the Alt to an electrical shop that can rebuild it. it's cheaper and although you don't get a pretty shiny casing you do get a complete rebuild.

i hope thats a joke... u can buy a new one with a warentee for 40$ pepboys!....

If you put a ac (yes i said an ac) meter on the batery and you see more then .1-.9 volts ac its probably the alt. Just for those of you questioning me on this an alt is a 3 phase generator basically. It has a bridge rectifier the converts it to dc. Sounds to me like a voltage regulator but it could be an alt. just my .02