HybridZ

Charging issues, still charges, just doesnt seem to charge enough

ZDreamin72

Alright so it's either to voltage regulator or the wiring somewhere, because i went and replaced the alternator, the voltage at idle did go up, and the highest voltage also did go up as well so it got better just not fixed, so now i have to spend fifty bucks on a voltage regulator to find out if i thave wires to replace huh

Alright so it's either to voltage regulator or the wiring somewhere, because i went and replaced the alternator, the voltage at idle did go up, and the highest voltage also did go up as well so it got better just not fixed, so now i have to spend fifty bucks on a voltage regulator to find out if i thave wires to replace huh

ok try this, take a jumper lead and attach to Pos post on batt, the other end touch it in the back of the connector marked L on the alt. and see if you are registering a charge, could be you have lost your "Sense voltage".

You could prob solve most of your probs if you did the 83 alt upgrade that eliminates the votl reg and goes to internal reg alt.

ok try this, take a jumper lead and attach to Pos post on batt, the other end touch it in the back of the connector marked L on the alt. and see if you are registering a charge, could be you have lost your "Sense voltage".

You could prob solve most of your probs if you did the 83 alt upgrade that eliminates the votl reg and goes to internal reg alt.

My 83 is down with a blown alternator at the moment. It had all the symptoms posted in this thread.

Anyways, i've been having a hell of a time trying to find an alternator locally, but had never realized they were different for 83. Would it be worthwhile buying a 79-82 alternator? I assume they bolt up the same. I also like the idea of an external voltage regulator. I picked up an internal votage regulator for mine cause it was only $15 CAD, but returned it after i read what was involved in installing it.

hahaha, yeah that was one of the reasons, not to be lazy or anything i jsut ahve alot of other projects on my plate as well...but i replaced the alternator and the regulator all in one swing...and it still doesnt read 14.4v at idle, reads 13.5v at idle, but with hardly any throttle it does jump straight up to 14.4v. mine is a 1972 240z, so i can help you with the 83, but you can check what voltage rating is on the back of your busted alt, and then buy a matching voltage range, im sure from year to year isnt that different in alts, just voltage, and sometimes more is better...right?