HybridZ

Custom catch-can and PCV system

HB280ZT

Hi All,

Well I did a search and did not really find what I was looking for concerning catch-cans and PCV system. I found them separately but not really together.

Here is some background information:

82 ZX turbo motor

T3/T04 turbo running 15 psi

Intercooler with 2 ¼ lines

8.5 to 1 compression ratio

MS&S-extra V3

Stock vent system

Good compression test

I am getting oil in the intake tube before the turbo; vent line from valve cover comes in before the turbo. From what I can tell it is only a small amount and I think it is only getting there when I am in boost for a time, say playing around or at the track, track days.

I was thinking about plugging the current intake PCV point and running an inline PCV and the valve cover vent to a catch-can. From there I would pull vacuum from before the turbo. The catch-can would not be vented to atmosphere like some do, but it would have a drain plug so that I could drain it from time to time.

So what do you all think?

Will this work?

HB280ZT

I think one is suppose to be a goesin and the other a goesout. So you would draw a suction on the valve cover vent and put a fresh air inlet on the crankcase vent.

Here is another option I learned about while poking around LS1 tech

mor-25900.jpg

You weld the bungs in on the down stream side of your turbo downpipes and hook in that whistle looking pipe. Put the breathers in the valve covers and hook a hose between the breather and the exhaust pipe using the check valve. The exhaust velocity then draws a vacuum on the pipe and sucks all the crankcase nastiness into the exhaust rather than the intake manifold.

Apparantly these things work pretty good, especially with turbos. Do a search on LS1tech.com and read the posts from guys who are actually running them.

I have triple Webers with a modified TWM intake...

I use the factory 240Z PCV and flow control valve... Instead of venting the top cover vent into the aircleaner like factory.. I hooked up an exhaust venturi and use it to positively draw fumes from the top vent as well... I manage to keep a slight crankcase vac at all times... My metal headgasket no longer seeps oil...

I just made a catch can based on a bunch of research I did and decided to run the crankcase vents to the catch can, through some filtering media to give more surface area for the oil vapor/mist to condense on, and then out to the inlet before my turbo to create the vacuum.

A lot of catch cans have no baffle this limits their effectiveness in keeping the oil/mist in the can and out of the intake. Mine is not a pretty polished can, but it will be effective.

Link to pix and write up:

http://www.cardomain.com/ride/674663/6

I run a catch can on my Z06 and it does indeed catch quite a bit of oil as its driven very hard (couple ounces every 200 or so miles). It keeps the oil out of my intake and MAF. Before I installed it you could literally wipe the oil out of the throttle body area and see it down into the intake. Now it stays clean. Some guys run 2 cans, but it really makes a difference for the turbo & supercharger guys.

Here is a link to one of the many companies that make them with a pretty good explanation how it all works for those that need the info (these guys specialize in the Vette market).

http://www.eliteengineeringusa.com/Catch_Can.html

After trying a few things out... I decided that I did not want the stuff that collected in my original can(or dripped from the breather)... back in my oilpan...

My car does not consume more oil now than before the exhaust venturi was hooked to my top vent...