HybridZ

Custom Air duct Installation video

RacerX

dont GT cars place vents/louvers on the top of the fenders to release all that high pressure buildup on the top of the wheel well??

I know wheel wells typically are an area of general low pressure due to air movement produced by the wheels/tires.. but as the air reaches the top of the wheel well/fender there is a high pressure build up?

I would think this "duct" would increase the high pressure..

Prox,

As I understand it, basically the whole wheel well is high pressure. The air in front of the wheel is high pressure as its stagnant, and the air behind the wheel is high pressure as often the guard behind the wheel acts like a scoop.

Jon,

Porsches do have the thing that needs air second-most of all in a car in the back you know.

Dave

I guess the primary thing that needs air is the driver then??? :wink:

I know the engine is back there, but just installing a hole in the fender isn't going to help anything. Maybe there is some ducting we can't see to cool the engine or supply air to the intake or something, but I don't see a point to running a vent there without some other ducting.

I know I'm being nit-picky and arguing the effect of what was done isn't the point of this thread, I just hate seeing faux or even worse, useless vents on cars.

Correct.

Not nit-picky, I would call it critical, but not in a negative way. I just finished my Phd so being critical is an excellent skill to have IMHO.

I completely agree that unless the duct runs to something useful it would only have a negative effect on the car's aerodynamics.

Some Porsches do come from the factory with ducts their though.

Dave

that duct looks like a friggen ear canal.

i think it was horribly placed on porsche's part, and too 959-clone ish.

Heh heh, well I like the way it looks :D I'd even put some on my car if my flares weren't ZGs! The work they did looks great--wish I had the skills!!!

Davy

small world.... my friend actually is the one who did that body work... not his car though.... the fog lights were removed and turned into brake ducts on the air dam.

the rears were planned on being ducted to the brakes but the car was wrecked in to a pole 2 months after it was finished and cause $16,000 in damages.

Last i heard the guy bought it back from his insurance and had plans on turning it into a full track car but i don;t know if that panned out or not.

This work was actually done at my old high school.

Kevin