HybridZ

My first Z

Hey all,

A few months ago on autotrader I randomly entered "datsun" as the make, and I saw my first one. Then I saw the 240, 260, and 280z's and I was and still am hooked. I am planning on buying a Z sometime around march, wondering what everyones opinion was. I was planning originally with going with a stock 280, but then I saw the V8 conversions people had been doing and that looked really interesting.

I plan on finding one to test drive soon, but that might be a chore as I live in the Salt Lake City, UT area and there don't seem to be many around here (not on craigslist, at least). Could anyone tell me how these cars handle? Especially with the conversions, how do they feel? As well, what is a fair price for a car in fair to good condition with a V8 swap?

Thanks so much!

I was really into 300ZX twin-turbos but at the time I was old enough to drive there was no way I could afford one. Somehow I fell in love with the original Z-cars just as hard as I loved the Z32s. It was complete luck how I found my car. I looked on autotrader for a 240Z, and the first one I saw with a picture, was the one I bought. I called, it was for sale, nobody had gone to see it, it was owned by one family and had no stories. Ran, drove, braked, all stock. $1900 six years ago.

A lot of folks have 280Zs but you just can't beat a 240Z. They're so much cleaner, lighter, better-looking, and more pure.

They handle good for relatively inexpensive sports cars of the time. They easily outhandled their direct competitors like the Opel GT and MGB GT. With the V8 conversion, I do feel there is a bit more weight to the steering feel, but the weight balance is better. I really can't compare as my suspension is all reworked.

• Like 1

240z. It all depends what you call good. Maybe 5 to 7k. It may be alot of money but puts you way ahead and better helps the overall investment. You will save at least twice the money compared to bulding a car to equal that level. Rust. All z's have some. Battery tray, floors, hatch areas. If the car has some, it has more hidden. The key is to find a car you like and want. Would not rule out finding a sweet oem turbo car or an n/a. Look for a soild shell. I live in Minnesota bought mine in Florida sight unseen. Yes I paid too much for it 10k and probobly worh 8 or 7. Up to about 18 now, ouch. I dont have piles of money but it was worth it to me. In Minnesota Z cars are Very Rare not like out in Cali where they seem to be everywhere. You guys have it made.

Oh almost forgot. A V8 Z feels kickass!

EDIT: Find an early model and avoid the possible future smog commies all together.

• Like 1

I just got back from a Snowboard trip in Park City. It was so much fun driving the rental car and getting it sideways. But I really wish i had my 280z than the "big butt" on the rental GMC yukon to control. I say if your going to stick with stock for alittle bit go with the 280z manual cause you get the R200 rear end. still open diff but stronger than the r180 which i would think is better if you have the tires spin and there is room to upgrade the R200

http://forums.hybridz.org/showthread.php?t=114798

Handling i believe the car is right up there with the best. To me its not too soft or crazy sharp handling in the stock form. I cant speak for the V8 sorry, not yet at the moment that is hehe

I cant believe how much snow you guys get! but at the same time ice skating ring for cars:wink:

I really want a V8 conv, but to be honest with you guys this is going to be my first car and my dad has decided that they're probably "too much car" for me.

SOOO...

I found this one in california.

http://www.Cardomain.com/ride/2180306

It had a turbo from a ZX and a bunch of other mods. i kind of prefer the more classic look, but I still really like this car.

I was wondering, almost all of these cars are smog-exempt in CA, but in Utah where I live the cutoff is 1967, not whatever it is in CA. If I buy a car in ca that is smog exempt there am I going to have to do anything to it to make it pass emissions here?

duffy- I love the snow. The other day a friend and I went out and did some sweet drifting in his porsche 944. Fun stuff. Made me want my datsun even more.

one more question- about how much monthly or yearly should i be expecting maintenance-wise on a Z? Thanks!

wow, thats just totally sucks if the cutoff is 67. that means you must state ref, have all smog parts and cats and everything else. yeah, i do find zs here everywhere. as for the looks, yes, the 240z looks better because of the small bumbers and more of a original first gen look. the 280z has a stiffer chasis and easier for swap from what ive seen.

stock compare to v8. i would say the v8 is going to make you not want to go back to stock motor. torque and sound and power and everything is all there uner the hood with the v8..

My $.02 here is this; If you're considering a Z for a future V8 conversion, get a 280z. they are a little heavier, but thats mosty due to the extra metal they put in them! Slightly stiffer and more ridgid than the 240's, stronger rear diff, and IMO look just fine with 240z bumpers installed in place of the big ugly stock ones. :burnout: Plus, there are more 280s around than anything else, so finding one is easier.

If smog is a cosideration, I say definatly stay away from a stock FI Z (280z/zx) cause at this point, it's an outdated system and you'll have all kinds of headaches trying to fix it WHEN it breaks down. There are plenty of newer/aftermarket FI systems out there though, and I'm sure you could get past smog testing. (some searching around this site will find LOTS of info and explainations)

Also, I'd say stay away from the 260z's 'smog' style flat top carbs; absolute dogs. If it's a carb'd Z (any year L6) you want, 70-72 'round top' SU's are what you need.

well, when you think of it, if either way you have to smog it, i say go for a later model s30 chasis and covert the bumpers. you will find a cleaner and non rusted one for a better price and stiffer chasis and more room to work with when it comes to tranny tunnel clearances.

the weight is a a little heaver, but to me, its the bumpers since they weigh like 50lbs each. like datsun lover mentioned, it has a better rear diff and more than likely to find one with less rust. remember, needs to smog anyways, so i say go for the later model s30..

SPECIFICATIONS

YEAR:1972 LOCATION:Belen, PHONE(505) 463-8523

MODEL:240Z

PRICE: $4,250

DESCRIPTION

1972 DATSUN 240Z, 400+HP chevy small block, $10, 000 invested, will sacrifice @ $4, 250, excellent condition inside and out, 505-463-8523

http://adcache.collectorcartraderonline.com/10/2/0/86949420.htm

check this ride, i love it and the price is fair enough :mrgreen:

I have nowhere near enough time or skill to do a V8 swap myself, I'm looking for a car with one that has already been done.

Sooo... what would I have to do to make one with a V8 pass smog? How much is it going to kill performance?

Would the car I posted above pass smog?

thanks

I did take a look at it... There was only one picture and little information. I would need to repaint it, not a fan of it's current state, haha. As well, at least one set of disc brakes is relatively important to me. I live in a place with very tempermental weather, so improved brakes matter. Improved suspension is nice as well. Thats why I was looking at the one i posted. If you have any suggestions I'd be open to them.

Can anyone answer my questions from 2 posts ago? Thanks!

wow, thats just totally sucks if the cutoff is 67. that means you must state ref, have all smog parts and cats and everything else. yeah, i do find zs here everywhere. as for the looks, yes, the 240z looks better because of the small bumbers and more of a original first gen look. the 280z has a stiffer chasis and easier for swap from what ive seen.

stock compare to v8. i would say the v8 is going to make you not want to go back to stock motor. torque and sound and power and everything is all there uner the hood with the v8..

cut of year is 75

One thing you have to watch out for is the person behind the build. I bought a 280z that had a 400 sbc in it before. I bought it with out the engine. I am still finding things that he had done to that car that make my jaw drop. For example:

1. all wires were just twisted together and taped, no sodder, no heat shink tubing, and rarley even a simple butt-end connector.

2. He had cut out the frame support in front (where the radiator is) and used a thin peice of metal to bolt it back in.

3. He used the U joint from the stock datsun drive shaft, cut it off, and welded it straight onto the chevy drive shaft.

All of these are big no no's, that I couldn't see when I purchased the car.

Te list goes on and on. My point is watch out for shady sellers.

Seann

"Since 1984, Utahns in the densely populated Salt Lake, Davis, Utah, and Weber counties have taken their cars in for mandatory emissions testing every two years. Utah is unique in that it requires smog checks only in the counties that are the worse offenders, due to the number of cars they have on the road, rather than requiring these tests statewide."

The above statement is from the Utah DMV site. As I read it if you have a car registered in any county except the above four there is no smog test done....Damn....

LARRY

"Since 1984, Utahns in the densely populated Salt Lake, Davis, Utah, and Weber counties have taken their cars in for mandatory emissions testing every two years. Utah is unique in that it requires smog checks only in the counties that are the worse offenders, due to the number of cars they have on the road, rather than requiring these tests statewide."

The above statement is from the Utah DMV site. As I read it if you have a car registered in any county except the above four there is no smog test done....Damn....

LARRY

thank god im in ca. no smog for my car and there are lots of zs around.