HybridZ

Help with choosing wheels for 280zx

First off I would like to thank everyone in advance for reading such a long post..

I just sold my 15x7 Konig Rewinds and am now looking for a bigger wheel/tire. I just wanted some different opinions on what would look good on my car. I am looking for something that is about 17x9 (I hope these will fit on the front?) Background of my car.. Suspension wise it is lowered 1 inch, but am looking into going with coilovers in the near future. Body wise it is stock other then a BRE spoiler and Xenon airdam.

I am looking at 3 different wheels right now, 5Zigen FN01R-C, 17x8Front 17x9Rear. Havent decided on color though, I think bronze would look neat?

FN01RC.jpg

My second choice would be Sport max 962's 17x9 in either gold or gunmetal with a polished lip. These are only available in a 35mm offset. I like these alot but they weight over 25lbs each!

SPORTMAX962.jpg

My last choice would be some 17" 350Z rims like below. They are 17.5 front and 17x8 rear. The fronts are 30mm offset and the rears are 33.

350zwheels.jpg

It seems like I will need some type of spacer or adaptor for all of them. I have no experience with spacers or anything like that, is there any reason I should use them. I can't really seem to find a wheel that will bolt on in the size I am looking for. I still havent figured out what offset I need or even what size tire I should run.

I apreciate any suggestions

Thanks

Rob

If i remember right you can fit a wider wheel on the front with the standard suspension as the standard sprring sits quite high and the adjustable spring comes down lower, personaly i like the second lot of wheels too, im not sure what offsett you need but more then likely it will still be around the zero mark.

If you click on the link in my signature you can find my page about the adapters that you may need. Also just so you know the 17x7.5's that I have are pretty tight in the front. The back have lots of room. If your really thinking about running coilovers now would be the time to do it. Coilovers in the front would really open up the options for you as far as rim choices go.

Thanks for the help Cody, and nice car!

I would like to go with Modern Motorsport's coilovers if I can sell my current suspension. Even with coilovers though I can't find a wheel that will work without spacers. I tried messing around with an offset calculator. I might be wrong but it seems like I need something with no offset? maybe even something with a little bit of a negative offset?

All the wheels I find all have a large amount of positive offset. Does anyone have any suggestions for some different wheels?

Also I found a company that sells the 5Zigen FN01R-C's in a 17x9 with only a 20mm offset, but isnt that still way too much?

You want to be looking for a 3 peice wheel, that way you can pretty much chose your offset, i think i got a negative 20 on the front and a negative 17 on the back, i also have coil overs and used 5 stud hubs from modern motorsport they pushed the fronts out further.

i have 10"s on the front and 12"s on the back and no they dont fit under the guards.

try measuring, thats what i did, i put a straight edge against the hub then into the strut and out to the lip of the guard, that will give you a better idea of how wide your wheel can be and will give the off set to.

I should of done it myself before my car went away for panel work, i might change the hubs back when i comes back and we might be able to get some proper measurements for futre reference. I know my previous wheels had a zero offset and were 8" front and rear.

Longchamp XR4, they were a Japanese wheel, were 3 peice as well, quite a nice wheel but were way to small for what im after.

I think your new wheels are big enough to handle what you are after! Im very jealous.

I found these on Ebay and think they would be pretty cool. I am seriously looking into buying them...

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=180073895923

I dont think there is a limit on wheel spacers around here but thats a very good point, I will look into to it. Because my rewinds are all boxed up ready to ship I need to use the stock Swastika wheels to make measurements. Does anyone happen to know the offset of stock 280ZXT wheels?

I talked to somone about being able to get an adaptor to make those Advans work, they said it wasnt a problem so I went ahead and bought them.

My next problem is tires. It would be nice to go with Advan tires to match but there arond $300 a tire!!! So my first realistic choice is some Khumos, just not sure which size and type to get. I want a high performance summer tire which brings it down to either their ECSTA Supra 712 or ECSTA SPT. Im not sure what the difference is between the two?

Im also not sure what would the best sizes to run for the 17x8 and 17x9

Id apreciate any suggestions

Thanks

As mentioned before, you are going to be looking for wheels in the zero offset range (rare to find). Problem is that most cars on the road are front wheel drive. I can pretty much gurantee you to fill the stock fenders you will need a wheel with negative offset. The magic number that you need to match is 4.5" of backspacing. From my research and understanding 17x8 will fit pretty comfortably. The 17x 9 in the back may bulge out a little past the fender without the proper offset.

Here is what I reccommend you do (sorry about the length).

1. With the Swastikas on measure the distance from farthest outside edge of the wheels to the outside edge of the fender.

2. Now take one of your Swastika wheels off your car. Measure from the mounting surface of the wheel (the part that physically touches the flat part of the hub) to the inside most edge of the wheel. This is the backspace of that wheel.

To clarify offset. First a few tid bits about wheel sizing. When wheels are advertised a specific size like 17"x 9" that width does not account for the widths of the flanges. All wheels are one inch wider than advertised. A 9" is actually 10" wide, an 8" is actually 9", etc.

3. So now measure the overall width of the swastika.

4. Now add that width and the distance you measured with the wheel on (from the outer most edge of the wheel to the outer most edge of the fender). This will be an approximate overall width for the new wheel.

5. Round that number to the nearest half inch.

6.Divide that number by two.

This is the location of the centerline of the new wheel.

7.Now to determine offset. Take the measurement for backspacing of the swastika wheel and subtract the centerline number you just calculated (this will probably be negative).

8. That number is in inches and offsets are typically shown in millimeters. So now take the offset (in inches) and multiply that by 25.4 and there is your offset of your new wheel.

9. Note when ordering the new wheels remember to subtract one inch from the OVERALL width of the new wheel, which you just calculated. That inch will be accounted for in manufacturing the wheel (remember the flanges are 0.5" and there is an inside and an outside).

I hope that helps in your wheel endeavors. Unfortunatley sizing tires is not as simple. A rough guide would be to convert the overall width of the width from inches to millimeters. The lower the profile the closer to the overall width you should be. As the profile of the tire becomes larger you can enlarge the width of the tire.

-Sean Birnbaum