HybridZ

chevy 305 into a 73 240

The 305" engine is or was used in a sprint car series. Hardly any fun to watch cause they didn't have the power compared to the 360" or the 410" motor cars. And they actually weren't cheap to build either.

Doc, you are certainly correct, but that's what racing classes do: they break it down into classes, some of which might be boring to watch. Hey, at least it gives more people a chance of winning a trophy and being kissed by Miss Cha Cha.

Davy

Doc, you are certainly correct, but that's what racing classes do: they break it down into classes, some of which might be boring to watch. Hey, at least it gives more people a chance of winning a trophy and being kissed by Miss Cha Cha.

Davy

Well, by boring, I mean to say that impressive amounts of HP that you either can hook or not hook in a sprint car, is awesome to watch. Underpowered sprint cars that all look "equal" aren't as appealing to me, to watch. Too much HP is never quite enough and the ability to dial in a chassis and pull the left front half way down the straight is really impressive to me. I find circle track or road racing more tantalizing than drag racing, but anything with an engine is entertainment, even lawnmower racing!

• 3 weeks later...
Dan Juday has the nicest 305 powered Z car on this site!

Davy

Thanks Davy.

I had it out yesterday for the first time in a long time. The dang thing has turned into a garge queen.

For a fairly stock '91 305 tpi with a WCT5 on 3.54 rear gears turning a pair of 305/50/15's it still gets rubber in the first three gears. Bags of fun!

The last two years, '91 & '92, for the 305 in the f-body cars were the most powerful. Nearly as strong as the 350 of that day. And it's such a cool looking motor.

Good fun on a budget.

• Like 1

305s are big turds. not even worth the effort of putting them in anything. youd have to PAY me a LOT of money to put a 305 in something instead of a 350. you can get 350s for $200-500. if you are going to go through the hastle of swaping a motor, dont set yourself up so you have to do it again just because you saved $2.95.

305s are big turds. not even worth the effort of putting them in anything. youd have to PAY me a LOT of money to put a 305 in something instead of a 350. you can get 350s for $200-500. if you are going to go through the hastle of swaping a motor, dont set yourself up so you have to do it again just because you saved $2.95.

I dissagree... beides, he's already stated he's going to go ahead with the 305.. My self, well.. I've done 305's in the past cause they were good runners and found cheep. There seams to be this stigma attached to a '350' and it tends to drive the price up, regardless of the actual condition of the motor (I'm talking about used motors here) in my exp. That said, I would not put a lot of $$$ INTO a 305, or bother doing a full build on one... but a simple drop in and run, why not?!? Like I said, a V8 is a V8 and in all likelyhood (regardless of displacement) WILL be more powerfull than the stock Z motor..

My .02$ ;)

• Like 1

This is one of those interesting things about the internet. They say that sometimes a person's meaning is obscured in writing because it is text; without seeing a person's face, their meaning can be perceived as rude, demeaning, or brusque, when in fact it is *meant* to be helpful, positive, and constructive. Funny thing about writing, huh?

Yes... YOUR description (read; oppinion, as you are entitled to have) but not nessasarily true in this context... Are you saying he should keep the stock Z motor rather than put in a 'boat anchor' 305?!?!?

The post started with the point that he HAS a 305 already... it is a good runing engine... Perhaps he doesn't have an extra $2-500 in the budget to go out and 'buy a 350' with? Or maybe he's already spending that cash on another important part of the car.. This isn't a question of which is the BEST choice, given the choice. (if you can swing it, more displacment is always better. :flamedevil: ) This is a guy using what he's got at his disposal, and I think that's great. It's still going to work, it's still going to be cool, and I doubt most folks on here would give him a hassle just for using a 305 instead of a 350.

When I was driving my 305 powered rx7, I NEVER had anyone put it down for being a crapy 305.. rather, they looked at the little car with a big V8 and said "Cool!!" and yes, I told anyone who asked it was in fact a 305.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not bent out of shape over this.. I'm actually kind of laughing as I type this.. :lol: but it seams the topic is being kicked like a dead horse, and is getting away from the 'spirit' of Hybridz in a sense.. hell, I wouldn't put a rotary engine in a Z either... but wait.. didn't someone here do that?!?!? Meh, no skin of my nose what anyone thinks really.. Just two more cents....

• Like 1

The 305 was not my first choice of motors for my z but has become very ideal for my intentions . I have a 5.0 & trans from an 86 mustang gt ( 5 speed) & I have a Chevy 350 4 bolt main block just waiting for a 383 stroker kit. The 305 is my entry level start into a v8 z. This car will be modified over a period of time . The Ford drivetrain has too many conversion issues ( although I think a Ford 302 sounds much better than a Chevy small block any day of the week ) & has many other advantages . I dont want to start my v8 z experiance with a 500 horse frame twisting drivetrain breaker . I want to modify this car gradually without changing the original Nissan design at the start . I dont want a fuel cell & a 6 point roll cage . I want a car that I can tailor to my( ADULT )liking over a period of time without spending my kids college funds or end up hating the car because I over powered it way too soon & have no choice but to over engineer everything else to make it safe & reliable . I have a muscle car ...now I want a good handling , good performance , good looking touring coupe that my wife can drive without instructions or fearing that she will wrap it around a tree. The z car is to me a sexy car with male body lines ( not like a girlie Miata or an early rx 7 ) , well thought out interior ( instrument placement ) , my 6 foot 3 frame fits well , My arm hangs out of the window & still can reach the steering wheel with great comfort . These cars are a breeze to work on also. I was hooked at 17 when I bought my 1st 240 even after my rather large older brother said he would kill me if I bought that worn out piece of garbage . Later in life I gave him a worn out 77 280z as a gift. Trust me guys I have built this car in my head at least a 100 times. I build them to suit my needs ....simple & fun .

Oldnrusty, it seems that our vision of a nice reliable driver (that just happens to be a bit quicker and better handling than most new cars) is not shared by the hard core 'kids'.

Fine by me... they are welcome to the hassle and expense of all out engines (and kidney bruising racetrack suspensions as well).

Guess it takes time (and a few blown engines?):icon56: to gain perspective and an appreciation of goals other than one's own.

<>

Here's my take on this... FWIW.

Other than seeking POSITIVE advice from my HZ FRIENDS, I don't give a rat's behind what other people think...

EXAMPLE: I've been seeking advice regarding which motor and transmission to replace my SBC 350 and TH350. I've been weeding through the many differing opinions and am rapidly approaching my decision after months of on-and-off research. Once I've decided which road to take, I'll follow that path without weaving in-and-out traffic (all those differing opinions).

It just so happens that I want a crap-load of HP and torque and I don't want a SC or TC so I'm in the process of raising cash for either a SBC 434 with NO2 or a BBC 572 NA to plant in my 2300 pound (dry/empty) GTO. The power plant will feed a 4L80E (probably manual shift) with 3.5K stall to an R200 with 3.15 gears and a Power Brute CLSD. Some frame mods will be necessary to support the torque.

Do I want others' opinions? Yes! Do I respect others' opinions? Of course! Do I give a darn if they think I'm a dumb-a$$. Hell no!

There will many people arguing in favor of L6's vs V6's vs V8's... or Chevy vs Ford... or SBC vs BBC... or short stroke vs long stroke.

Look... if you want to plant a 305 in your ride, it's your decision. It's a good motor. And it's your car, after all.

Thanks guys we all have the same goal ....to build & drive our rides. Being a 40 year old man I have learned that there is nothing new under the sun so picking someone elses brain for answers saves me from many wasted hours , busted knuckles , wasted money & my kids learning new words that they better not repeat in my presents. I got everthing that I needed except what kit is better JTR , MOTORSPORT v8 conversion ,brand x or a mix ? It is easy to tell the difference in knowlege & wisdom by the responses that I have read. Hybrid z is an excellent source for usefull info & to view the limitless talents proud to display the pride & joy they built or paid to have built.

I'm lazy and try to do things as easily as possible... so I'd buy a kit. Since mine's an automatic, I'd get the MSA kit for the engine position... farther back than the Hooker/Scarab kit and forward enough to allow for the longer S&S full-length headers. If you ever decide to go manual tranny you'll probably need the JTR kit for shifter placement... although I don't know if that's true for ALL manual transmissions. Also, if you ever go big block, you'll likely want the JTR kit due to the longer block. Whatever kit you buy, I'm told the JTR manual is a MUST due to all the little nit-picky details therein which will save you lots of time and trouble.

Well said, Mike & oldnrusty, in your last posts :D

Oldnrusty: keep reading regarding making a decision on which kit to buy. Most members on the site have the JTR kit. The Scarab, MSA, and John's kits fall in line in that order. If you can, at least buy the JTR manual. It's worth the money, will probably save you some real hassles, and you can always sell it to someone on this site if you want.

Good luck with your swap and you are correct: "there is nothing new under the sun."

Davy

There is a good deal going on the GM crate ZZ4 engines... they are light and powerful... and they are $3800 new with warranty...

best of all.. you can have them delivered to your local GM dealership so shipping is not an issue...

I have heard good things about the ZZ4 from some professional race team managers...

They have a 10:1 C.R.

aluminum L-98 heads

forged steel crank

PM rods

forged pistons

Hyd roller cam

The only downpoints seem to be in the valvetrain... stamped steel rockers and stock rocker studs...

You could modify the valvetrain and change cams to come up with a few more horses easily...

It looks like the bottom end could handle more than 5800RPMs max suggested

everyone has an opinion, but I'd like to know what kind of results you got from your all out build on a 305? you have actually had a built up 305 to do a comparison with, right? I don't know about you, but every "hotrod" 305 I have built for someone is only short about 40-50whp at the most to an equivalent 350 with the same parts, and the powerband only lags by about 700 rpm.

What are your opinions on the new gen3 5.3? It's got a little more stroke, but actually has a smaller bore than the 305... and it still makes a buttload of power and people love them.

My point is that this is a perfect example of the "stigma" that is associated with people using stock smogger 305 motors, but doesn't hold true for people with modified 305's. Heck, one magazine took a stock shortblock, put a mild cam/vortec heads/intake/exhaust on it and it was putting down like 420somethinghp on their engine dyno... that's not too shabby at all for a low comp stock shortblock with just boltons, considering that you do the same thing to a 350 and it would make about the same or a little more power. There is a builder here who builds 305's for circle track guys in the area, and his motors are way up in the 550-600 hp range n/a... but of course, they all have hilborn injection and all out race parts.