HybridZ

Sportmax 002 problem...

I bought a set of Sportmax 002 15x8's not too long ago and noticed that I wasn't the only one who thought they might look good on a 240z. I just wanted to share something that has happend to one of my rims recently. If you did buy a set as well, this is something you should look out for.

100_2189.jpg

100_2184.jpg

100_2179.jpg

I called JLB motorsports and they told me to send them an email with these photos showing aluminum rust around those imitation rivets. They said they would send them the photos to the manifacturer to try and get me a new rim (hopely). But I don't think there is much to stop the other rims from doing the same thing.

But yeah, just wanted to inform who ever bought these rims to look for the same problem. Especially if you just bought them...

What the heck is the cause of the aluminum rust????

I have never seen aluminum rust before, confused...

Did it happen on all the wheels?

Did it happen at all the fake rivets or just those two?

Anyways I had a set of 002's for a couple months then sold them but never saw this happen, but like I said only had them for a couple months.

Anyone else with this problem???

Anyways I had a set of 002's for a couple months then sold them but never saw this happen, but like I said only had them for a couple months.

Aluminum has it's own form of rusting where it just oxidizes, still just as bad as rust is on steel, I was really interested in getting a set of these wheels, I think I'll wait for more feedback to this thread before I go through with that.

You mean Aluminum OXIDATION? Do you know if the wheels are clearcoated after those foux-rivets are put on? If not, I would try and polish that area with a q-tip and some rubbing compound. But good idea to call the company. I was thinking of getting a set of these, but now I'm not so sure...

What's interesting about Aluminum is that when it oxidizes, it creates a layer of film that actually prevents the rest of the metal from deteriorating. Or maybe that was Magnesium I was thinking of...

What is wierd is that it only happend on just one rim. Maybe after a while the others will start showing the same problem and I'm looking out for that. But the guy from jlb said that maybe the clear coat didn't protect it enough, so yeah it has a clear coat. But on the rim that does show the rust, not just those two I took pictures of show that. It's actually 12 in a row, practically half number of rivets on the rim show this rust. My guess is that water is entering from behind the rivets because it doesn't look like there is a clear coat on the back side(which is wierd if your going to be putting those fake rivets.)

• 2 weeks later...
any updates on this?

I actually received a call from JLB last thursday and He told me I was to remove the tire from the rim and bring the rim to them so they could send it to the manufacturer because Sportmax wanted to take a look at the rim themselves so they could approve the defect and give me a new one. I'm hoping it doesn't take too long...

You think sealing the back of the faux rivets with some silicone or JB weld would prevent this?

I noticed on the new rim they gave me, they changed the way they insert the rivets. They stick out a lot more and they seem to be a screw in type rivets instead of the ones on my other rims that are just pushed in and not sticking out at all (I'll try and get a picture). But it never hurts to be on the safe side. I'd say go ahead and try the JB Weld if you want to.