HybridZ

Different Turbo Manifold, will they work the same

Noddle

Hi,

These two manifolds are slightly different, will they work the same, or would one be better that the other,

The reason I ask is the rusty one, has the turbo close to the center of the manifold, and the painted one is closer to one end.

Nigel

rusty_thumb.JPG

painted_thumb.JPG

Interesting.... Those both appear to be Nissan Manifolds as well...

I would probably use the one with more spacking from the front of the engine, as if you are converting an N/A manifold, you have to relocate the PCV valve, and with the turbo further back this may not be necessary.

I think being both Nissan Manifolds, either will flow fine for your application.

Ported Stock Nissan got JeffP to 415HP to the rear wheels...

Maybe my L20ET manifold is also different, I will have to check it, the thing is lumped up on a shelf in the shed... I never had any issues swapping my manifold for the US Spec unit, as I kept the same JDM downpipe (Aftermarket Trust/Greddy Piece) and exhaust, and nothing moved relative to the engine/transmission mounting flange (which is where the downpipe split stopped and the exhaust system began...)

Another advantage of the forward style manifold would be that you could have a DP with a less harsh angle.

Good point.

only one ive ever seen like the more forward style manifold was on a Asian spec 280zx turbo.

maybe they were different then the euro ones.

I was thinking some more about it, the manifold has a more central outlet which seems good but under boost (and assuming hard acceleration) wont the rear cylinders have to push harder to get the gases out as they are fighting the motion of the car? For this reason maybe this would make there rear outlet more desirable.

However what I said before about the angle of DP, well in the case of a S130 chassis.. it really might be a nice advantage over having to use two 90 degree bends.

Basically I don't know what I'm talking about, just throwing out ideas.. LOL

I found a manifold like the rusty one on a C31 L20ET Laurel, all the HR30 manifolds I've got are like the painted one. The C31 had the PCV in the same place as an n/a L28 with a right angle pipe coming off it.

Only problem with the C31 style manifold is if you have a big compressor housing it can hit on the engine mount.

• 2 weeks later...

Thats one of the good L20ETs, its got the idle control on the bottom of the throttle body with a right angle adaptor, it'll have the PCV in the normal n/a place and the bigger j pipe (more like an L28ET), but the turbo does sit further forward.