HybridZ

stub axle/companion flange question

lbhsbZ

Yes, I searched.

I have a 73 240 that I'm swapping a R200 into out of some 280..dunno which year. I put a OBX diff in the R200 (experiment). I'd also like to do the 5 lug swap, but since this is going to be a road race car, I'd kinda like to not drill and weld on the 4 bolt rear hubs. I found a 88 300ZX N/A that I can get for $400. Would the 5 lug rear hubs from this work with a set of 280Z companion flanges? Could I use the diff stub axles, CV axles, companion flanges and hubs in my 240? I'd really like to avoid paying for the Modern Motorsport billet rear hubs and companion flanges, but I will if thats the only alternative to welding/drilling a set of 280 rear hubs. I found the parts car while looking for a set of 5 lug front hubs, but if thats all I can use, than its really not worth it.

Yes, Jamie had to basically cut and weld his rear strut housing to make it work... And it was never road tested.

What I'd recommend is going to MML's website and ordering a set of pre-drilled stubaxles from Ross for $125.

http://www.modern-motorsports.com/catalog/product_info.php?products_id=64&PHPSESSID=f4467ec62491d73e53b0414149cdadcd

Or, if HP is a concern and money isn't an issue, do what I did...

http://www.modern-motorsports.com/catalog/product_info.php?cPath=32&products_id=62

These options are tried and true and take the fab time and guess work out of the equation. And Ross makes a damned fine part...

If Jamie ever does hit the lottery and gets a ton of spare time to fabricate and produce stuff again, I'll bet large sums of money that he'll come up with some very trick parts that will blow your mind. However, right now he's got his hands full with two small children (adorable little girls, I might add! :2thumbs:) and they are priority #1 in his life right now! :2thumbs:

Mike

Here’s what I did to fit the 5-lug Z31 stub axle into a S30 strut housing:

In order to use standard size bearings I bored the strut housing where the bearings fit from a 70 mm ID to 72mm. My machinist was able to do this on a lathe to ensure a precise cut. I used a 6306 type bearing for the inner bearing and a type 6207 for the outer bearing. Be sure to use a sealed bearing for the outer one. For the inner bearing oil seal I obtained a CR 15857 seal (40mm x 72mm x7mm).

I reused the S30 bearing spacer after it was modified by increasing the inside diameter so it could fit on the tapered Z31 stub axle. Another option is to reduce the height of the Z31 bearing spacer to match the S30 one.

I used the Z31 non turbo companion flange along with the 280ZX turbo CV axles to complete the swap. A 1986 non-vented rear rotor was used along with 200SX calipers and the Maxima rear caliper brackets. The Z31 stub axle flange where the wheel mounts is thicker than the S30 one. As a result the track is increased by 3mm on each side. I just shimmed the Maxima rear caliper brackets out with washers and everything lined up.

This mod is not cheap. The machine work alone was over $200. Add the bearings, calipers, brackets, CV axles and misc items and the total cost is around $500.

Although you are replacing the S30 stub axle with the much beefier Z31 axle, the strut housing is weakened by the metal removal. Nissan beefed up the rear strut housing on the 260Z and the 280Z. These would be a better choice for modification rather than the 240Z strut.