HybridZ

Corvette or camaro oil pan for LS1?

There are plenty of LS1s this side of the Pacific but very few F-body cars. I have contacted a few salvage yards in the US but they only want to sell complete engines. I have friends in CA who could collect and post a pan etc, but they don't know much about finding one. Can anyone suggest where I might get one? Thanks.

GM direct.

Believe me, F body accesories are very difficult to find in salvage yards for just the reason you stated. I think most of the guys with GTO engines and such get new pans from GM.

Try posting an ad on LS1TECH.com or LS1.com. Maybe somebody has one from a wrecked engine you could get.

And then there is ebay.

Thanks - A used pan and pick-up went for $185US last week on ebay but the price of new parts from GM Direct looks competitive and I think I will go that route. I've found the part numbers for the pan, dipstick and tube but can't find them for the pick-up and windage tray. Does anyone know them?

Thanks - A used pan and pick-up went for $185US last week on ebay but the price of new parts from GM Direct looks competitive and I think I will go that route. I've found the part numbers for the pan, dipstick and tube but can't find them for the pick-up and windage tray. Does anyone know them?

Yeah, believe it or not. According to my GM installation guide, the part numbers are

12551577 Camaro/Firebird dipstick tube

12551581 Camaro/firebird dipstick

12558762 Camaro/Firebird oil pan

12558253 Camaro/Firebird windage tray

12558251 Camaro/Firebird oil pump pickup

http://www.ls1tech.com has stickies with lists of part numbers also.

• 1 month later...

so if im reading this correctly, the problem with the vette pan is the wings hit the motor mounts?

ill be custom making my mounts becuause of the turbo ill be running. my concern with the f body pan is ground clearence. its much better than the pan i have now (truck pan) but i think the c5 would be better. also i have a tig welder if i needed to cut the wings off (i will try hard to keep them).

The bat wings on the C5 pan will hit the TC mounts and it would be close to impossible to slide the motor in with the wings. Also they will interfere with the exhaust down pipes. I don't know about the oil capacity question because I have not done a comparision with the Fbody oil pan.

I got the May 2007 issue of Hot Rod. They have a section on motor swaps and detail the LS motors. They mention Moroso and Mildon both offer LS pans now. Summit carries them, although the one Moroso pan is $650 and the other, while about $200, requires a remote oil filter.

According to them, the LS2 pan MikeJTR talks about is the new pan of choice. It is about an inch shallower than the F body pan, but has much better oil baffles. According to this article it gives the car a 5.5 quart oil capacity, down from 6.5 quart with the old gull wing pan.

12581810_side.jpg

C6 LS2 oil pan (has shallow rear sump) (kit with bolts/gasket) = 12581810

C6 LS2 oil pick-up screen (same used on LS6) = 12558750

C6 LS2 oil deflector (same as used on LS6/LS1) = 12558189

C6 LS2 dipstick = 12570788

C6 LS2 dipstick tube = 12570787

GM parts direct wants $230 for just the pan, but add on $51 shipping and handling.

Bastards.

• 2 months later...

Could someone confirm that I have got this right?

The oil pans fitted to 98-02 F-body LS1s are shallower than the standard LS1s and, the standard LS2 pans are even more shallower than the F-Body pans. So, I should be ordering (as per the list above) standard LS2 items which will all fit an LS1 block? Thanks.

Could someone confirm that I have got this right?

The oil pans fitted to 98-02 F-body LS1s are shallower than the standard LS1s and, the standard LS2 pans are even more shallower than the F-Body pans. So, I should be ordering (as per the list above) standard LS2 items which will all fit an LS1 block? Thanks.

All F-body LS1 oil pans are the same. The shollower pan came on LS2 Corvettes but not on LS2 GTOs. The winged pan only came on the LS1/LS6 Vettes.