HybridZ

siezed strut..... help please

Guest TeamNissan

Guest TeamNissan

Anyone every have a strut siezed in the housing? I've hammered, heated, pulled, banged, cursed, yelled at it lol. Nothing will get this thing loose. Anyone had any experience with this?

My last option I think is to drill a hole at the bottom, tap the strut out then weld it shut again but I really dont want to do that.

Guest TeamNissan

I actualy did soak both fronts (both wouldnt come out) I got the one out today after about a hour of beating on it, twising, pulling etc. But the other even with the pb blaster soaking just wont give.

I bought the car a few months back after it had been sitting in a guys garage untouched since 1980 so I think its REALLY stuck in there.

I had a similar experience with one of my rear strut tubes recently. After an overnight PB blast soak, I was able to hammer (@20min or so) it out so that the strut body was out about a half an inch. I then cleaned up some of the rusty crud and used a pipe wrench to grab the exposed strut body and twisted it out of the tube.

When i first bought my current Z about 5 years ago, i had the same exact problem... same situation and used just about all the same techniques you've tried without luck either. Then I anchored the strut housing to the ground, bolted a chain to the top of the strut and used my engine hoist to rip it out. Ya just can't beat hydraulics sometimes :) Good luck!

Guest TeamNissan

You know jersey you inspired me to try a sim thing lol. I hung the strut from a 3/4x6 inch hook by chain and put a scissor jack where the ball joint is and a piece of wood from the jack to the beam in my basement cieling lol. Then I had to put vice grips on the hook to keep it from opning up on me and cranked away. Wood creeked, things made horrid noises, my gf ran off because she was scared and then the strut finaly moved ever so slowly haha. What a mission but I got it out and didnt destroy anything or kill myself.......

l_7f955ea3ff404fa8063508047f4e096d.jpg

Hey guys, I used to use this board around 2003 when i started my Z project. Since then i forgot my s/n and p/w haha. I was happy to see some folks in my tri state area. Last time i was on this place was full of aussies (not that there is anything wrong with aussies - i love'em!)

Team Nissan, Congrats on your strut removal and congrats that your garage is still standing :-D. What project are you starting and where in NJ are you? I'm on staten island. I have a 71 with a 98 SR20 swap. She should be hitting the booth this weekend, I hope.240ZPromo4small.jpg

my240z.jpg

Guest TeamNissan

I'm in cliffside, about 5 min from the gw bridge or 15 from the tunnel. I'm going a full build up and hybrid on 72. Havnt decided on a engine yet but the suspension, fuel and paint should be done withon a month or so. Paint may take longer because I have to wait for the weather to break. If you ever want to chat or anything You can always drop me a line on aim, its listed in my profile.