HybridZ

Need A Head Gasket For My Turbo Z

CART0410

Hi

Im looking for the best head gasket to put in my Turbo Z.

I have a '82 2.8l turbo Z motor in my 73 240z. The engine is a F54 block and P90 head. I am using a T3/T4 turbo and running about 13-15 pounds of boost..

Thanks

felpro head gaskets should be fine with that kind of boost.

As a side note - use at least the turbo head bolts (ARP studs ideally), and follow the proper torquing sequence when torquing the head down. I usually go around the head two or three times with increasing torques - say 45 lb-ft the first time, then 55, then 65 (the turbo head bolts get 65 lb-ft).

Also, re-torque the head after running two or three heat cycles on the engine. Let the engine cool overnight, then back each bolt off ~ 1/8 to 1/4 turn, then retorque in sequence, one at a time. I usually do this two or three times on a new gasket, just to make sure the gasket hasn't compressed and caused a loss of clamping force.

I don't think there is a difference between turbo head bolts and non-turbo head bolts. At least they have the same part numbers at the dealer.

Hmmm...

perhaps they just stock the turbo bolts for all applications now - there used to be a difference.

Ok

Lots of good feedback thanks..

I have decided to go with an HKS gasket and ARP bolts.

I called HKS today only to find out they are not making that gasket anymore. :icon_frow I also called Cometic they have never made a Head gasket for the L28 Motor. :icon_frow

So does anyone know where to get a NEW HKS head gasket for a 1982 Turbo car??? Also while I had an HKS tech. on the phone I asked about reusing there metal gasket. He said people do but they do not condone or recommend it.....

Guest 280ZForce
Also while I had an HKS tech. on the phone I asked about reusing there metal gasket. He said people do but they do not condone or recommend it.....

They have to say this only to save their asses in case some one tries to blame them for "taking their word" on it and suing them if a problem occurs. Plenty of people have reused a metal headgasket from HKS with no problems to report.

Ok

Lots of good feedback thanks..

I have decided to go with an HKS gasket and ARP bolts.

I called HKS today only to find out they are not making that gasket anymore. :icon_frow I also called Cometic they have never made a Head gasket for the L28 Motor. :icon_frow

So does anyone know where to get a NEW HKS head gasket for a 1982 Turbo car??? Also while I had an HKS tech. on the phone I asked about reusing there metal gasket. He said people do but they do not condone or recommend it.....

Yes I have a 1mm nissan comp metal head gasket. I dont need it anymore I'm have rb26 I putting in 240z

i have 3 of these gaskets. 2 of them i am still using and 1 of those has been used 4 times that i know of. 3 of those times by me. just soak it in laquer thinner or acetone. clean it the best you can and they're good. i have had a few guys pm me . so to let you all know. the 1 i am willing to part with has been used for less than 100 miles and was only removed fer a 2mm for boost reasons. it is perfect. but not new. unless an engine grenaded i don't think they can be hurt. might be able to get a new 1 from nissan motorsports phone # 888 833 3225. last time i got 1. the 1 i will part with. 1mm. $150 +tax cause i am in state. i don't have the part # handy but you can do a search or just call they know what it is. tc.

oh yeah, if i was an hks rep and wanted to sell a gasket i would tell you not to reuse it too. just buy another 1. my sales are low this month anyway.

just got off the phone with motorsports. they have a couple 2mm gaskets left. no 1 mm. i asked if they are going to get more and the answer was probably not. but who knows.

cost is $150 and $10 shipping. tax if you live in tennessee.

part # 11044-91mm2 for the 2mm.

if your not running 15lb's or more than the 2mm is not for you.

hope this helps someone. tc.

I am new to this so I figured I would ask this question. I see a lot of guys running the 2mm head gasket vs 1mm. Is there a reason for this? My machinist said he would prefer that we use the 1mm to keep the head as close to the block as possible to help with heat quench. Are there clearance issues, that I am missing?