HybridZ

Almost ready to fire it up!

Guys, This is my first post to HybridZ, but I have been a long-time recipient of the wisdom of this group for some time now. My apologies that this first post is long, but thanks to all of you for making this the premier resource that it is. Thanks also to Pete for helping me get on finally and I hope to be a regular contributor for many years to come.

20 years ago I got to ride in my first hybridz (72 240 with a 327). After I changed my underwear, I swore I would have my own someday. I bought a '73 240z a few years ago from a hot rod shop in California with a 350 conversion already done (not JTR, but has R200) and had it delivered via carrier to Texas. I added an energy suspension and drove it like I stole it happily for a couple years, but moved to Georgia for work and left the car behind for 2 years. Got back in the Lone Star State in September of '06 ready to get back in my Z, but an odd vibration developed and I started to investigate. Turned out to be a water pump bearing, but deeper dive determined the dampener to be worn out also. Since I had never seen the guts of this car, I decided to pull the engine and check out if there were any other nasty surprises. Well, a little valve cupping, worn guides, pitting on the cam, and other things got me to thinking that a rebuild might be in order.

I'm sure you have all been there going.... Hmmm, I can rebuild it with what I've got OR it might be really cool to chunk those camel back heads for aluminum ones, and an air-gap intake would be righteous, and I might as well get the radiator flushed and painted, and a new fuel pump and 3/8" fuel lines would be cool too, billet pulleys? Hell yeah! Wait a minute, I COULD BUILD A STROKER!!! You get the picture. The bad weather has foiled me from finishing up the last bit, but I should be breaking in the cam by next weekend and ready to unleash the beast I have built. A labor of love and hate since September, but the end is in sight.

383 SBC bored out to 0.060, Edelbrock polished Performer RPM heads, Edelbrock endurashine Air-gap intake, Edelbrock Performer high flow fuel pump, Mr. Gasket Street Scoop II polished billet, Comp Cam Rockers and Pushrods +.100, Eagle Rotating Assembly, Keith Black 10:1 flat tops, rebuilt TH-350 with hp drums, new torque converter, shifter kit, MSD 6AL ignition, coil, distributor, wires, high flow oil pump, chrome overflow tank, tranny cooler, 3/8" steel fuel lines, billet pulleys, dampener, flywheel, true roller timing assembly, water pump, starter, chrome alternator, all ARP bolts and Felpro gaskets. Man, it would probably be easier to say what is not new - Edelbrock 600 cf, carb.

Got some pics that chronicle the build on cardomain and will add more soon here too. http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2532033/1

Next will come sub-frame connectors and tower struts, etc., but I have to give it a rest before my wife makes me sleep in the z permanently.

Regards,

I guess I will be the first to welcome you. I am sure you will enjoy the time you spend here on the site, it is quite addictive. I checked out your project pics, the Z looks very nice. I think the motor is kickin' as well. Good luck on the Z and keep us all posted as we all like to see progress pics.

Oh, do you think you have enough toolboxes?

I think you'll have to spray for toolboxes since they're obviously breeding like rabbits.

The engine is very nice looking and I'm impressed by the endurashine parts, especially the polished heads--kinds like automotive jewelry, only functional. Thanks for posting the link to your pictures.

Davy

Not yet. I live in San Antonio now and the car is in Dallas at my friend's garage. I have to hump the 250 miles up there to work on it on weekends so the progress is slow regardless. We only have about six hours work left to get it ready to start, but the garage is not climate controlled and the weather there has been in the 30's-40's for several weeks now and I'm a little hesitant to mate some of my high dollar billet aluminum like the air-gap intake or the crank pulley to iron and steel at those temperatures. Also, we are planning to get it running, break in the cam, and tune and test until drivable on Friday and Saturday and do the break-in drive back to San Antonio on Sunday (3-car caravan with tow chain, the contents of one or two of the toobox infestations previously noted, a fire extinguisher, etc.). We also need the weather to cooperate as I don't want to drive it in the rain or high humidity.

To answer a previous reply I did not use the JTR upon reinstall as the existing 350 conversion (not exactly sure, but think it is an MSA version - normal hood latch, only slightly offset from the original mounts, etc.) drove fine for my purposes and I did not want to have to reconfigure the headers or any other part of the drive train. However, my new air-gap intake created an unsolvable clearance issue with my hood. I researched cowls and other solutions and for now have settled on the Mr. Gasket Street Scoop II that will sit just above flush on my hood and seems to be my cheapest alternative at $229. Plus I think the red butterflies hooked up to the throttle linkage look pretty tough.

I'll definitely give a shout out when complete. I'm hoping next weekend.

Regards,

Bill

• 1 month later...

:cheers:

Well, after working weekends since September, I finally fired up the stroker and broke in the cam. First time I have done this and I have to tell you that was the longest 25 minutes in my life (neighbors too no doubt). I don't think I was that nervous when my daughters were born. No fuel or coolant leaks (and yes we had fire extinguishers with pins pulled handy), but smoking header paint and a small valve cover gasket oil leak dripping a little oil on the headers created a far sight more smoke than I was expecting and was plenty exciting. The good news was the sound difference between the tired old 350 compared to the brand new 383. Oil pressure was good and got past the break in without catastophic failure. Back to Dallas again from San Antonio to tune and test and 1st drive is on target for Saturday to unleash the beast. Thanks again to you all for the endless amount of information and guidance that comes for this killer site. I have a video of the break-in, but it is pretty lame. I will upload videos of the first drive without the smoke effects.

Bill

Congrats, Bill! :2thumbs: Glad everything went well and was uneventful for the most part during break-in. The last thing you want is a fireball coming from the intake out of the carb--it been done :sour: Let us know how much you like your car when all is said and done. My guess is that it will befaster than the '69 Camaro, although not as collectable...

Davy

Thanks Davy. The '69 has a BB, but you are right, my bet is the Z will smoke it either from a rolling start or on the track as my buddy Javier (the owner) has never run better than low 13's and races it quite a bit. The real bet will come against another buddy with a Rousch stage III Cobra. He has been talking smack for for six months and he knows how to drive that supercharged pony, but I'm lighter by 1,000 lbs. with bigger cubes and more torque, so I'm curious how it will turn out.

HarrisonTX - Pics are here earlier in this thread. See the cardomain link. Much earlier in the project and the engine was not in the car yet. Got a bunch of new ones I need to load. The car is in Irving send me a PM and I'll give you a shout when I'm in town. After six months in the garage, I would drive the car to Australia if I could so a trip to FW is a short hop or feel free to swing by and check it out and have a cool one.

Bill