HybridZ

ls1 vs sbc difficulty.

Guest jmikell870

Guest jmikell870

I have decided to put a chevy v-8 into my 71 240z. i have the jtr manual, the swap seems straight forward. very well writen.

Does any one know how much more difficult the ls1 swap is? and also how does the Jhon ls1 manual compare.

When people talk about a manual you would think a book...this manual is like a page or two...If you could'nt figure it out you probably should'nt try changing your spark plugs...Now that being said, it is not a complete how to install and get running book...It is only a how to install mounts on your engine and car...All the how to wire your car and such is up to you ...I ordered mounts and driveshaft from John...No problem at all...you will have to do like one measurement for the driveshaft length...It's all tig welded and looks like it is ment to be...you can see a few pics in my gallery if you care to look on engine install....the only clearance issues for me were with sensors on the t56 and tunnel...couple wacks with a hammer and your done...The Sanderson headers that Jags that run sell are great...There is more room between the firewall and trans than there is on the orig motor...If you need any help PM me and I could take more detailed pics for you...I love the kit....premo stuff

I run a John's cars LS1 mount set in my 260z and I had no problems at all. I swapped the engine and got it running in one week. If you can spend a little extra money, do the LS1. I get 33 mpg on the highway and my car runs 12.08 @ 117.9 mph on the factory sized all season 19/60/14 street tires with a pegleg diff. Superior indeed.

The LS1 swap is a completely different animal. You can't use the JTR mounts as you can on previous SBC's (including LT1's). You can purchase John's kit for the LS1 which is considerably more expensive, and may not be complete for all cars (when I was looking at an LS1 swap John didn't have transmission mounts for early year Z's). Based on other posts, the documentation seems to be lacking as well.

If you have good fabrication skills, then you can definitely make an LS1 fit easily into a Z. You just need to realize that it's not the same as pre LS1 engines and you will have LSx specific issues that you will need to deal with.

I did the Johns kit but installed an LS2. There are a few differences that caused a few minor challenges. But they were minor and easily overcome even with my limited skills. John's manual takes it for granted that you do have a little knowledge going in. I had to read a couple pages a few times to get it to make sense (to me) but it did make sense. I did use JTR's headers and radiator and they were nice items. Johns mounts were very well engineered and fit very well in my car. The swap took way less time than I thought it would. No matter what engine/trans you decide on, make sure you get everything you need before you start. There are a million things that could hold you up if you don't. They guys on this site have done every swap imaginable and will help you through it.

Mike

you can buy kits to make LS1s bolt into gen 1 sbc mounts. so buy JTR mounts and then buy this other kit. that is if you cant weld in motor mounts.

getting a motor into a car is almost always the easiest part of a fuel injected motor swap. then comes wiring and fuel...

you can buy kits to make LS1s bolt into gen 1 sbc mounts. so buy JTR mounts and then buy this other kit. that is if you cant weld in motor mounts...
Have you done this or know anyone that has? If so post a link or more detailed info on these kits. If no one has done this before, I would make sure the motor position from these kits will work properly in the Z's engine compartment before buying it. It's not just the ability to bolt to gen 1 sbc mounts, but mounting the engine in the proper location that's the real issue. Of course once the motor is in the proper location, there still is plenty of work to do!

you can buy kits to make LS1s bolt into gen 1 sbc mounts. so buy JTR mounts and then buy this other kit. that is if you cant weld in motor mounts!

This has been talked about on here before. It was decided that bolting an extender plate to an extender plate was probably a bad idea. Plus you would have to move the alternator from the stock F body location.

Or is this something you have already done?

Difficult shouldn't be the question here. It's how much? As you can see the LS1 drivetrain and EFI system is not cheap. But then again building up an SBC motor isn't cheap either. How familiar are you with carburetor and tuning it? How good are you with wirings and computer? Both swaps have their degree of difficulties. Some people don't like to mess with wirings and computer, some don't like to mess with carburetors. You should study both swaps in all aspects and pick the one that best for your familiarity which helps you maintain the car better.

I have to say that I know nothing about carburetor so that's why I stayed away from it. Also I've heard that carburetors need rebuild once in a while and they drink gas like water. I've done 2 LS1 swaps and I think it's just a piece of cake. Plus JCI sells the mounts so you are basically can get the car up running in a week. Yes some experts from here can get an SBC swap up and running in less then a week too. So good luck on picking your swap. Just my opinion. No harm intended.

I am doing the LS1 swap after two years of car shows, racing, reading and researching. You would be amazed at what guys are swapping LSX into, but like VinhZXT stated it is cost, dealing with wires and a pcm. However, Edelbrock has the intake/module/cam set-up to run a carb on a LSX motor and some new stuff coming out in 2007 for LSX and LT engines.

This has been talked about on here before. It was decided that bolting an extender plate to an extender plate was probably a bad idea. Plus you would have to move the alternator from the stock F body location.

Or is this something you have already done?

no its not something i have done. the guy i bought the car from did exactly what i would have done, cut up F body mounts and welded them to the car. preseto, done.

getting a LT1 into the car is going to be just as dificult as an LS1

...getting a LT1 into the car is going to be just as dificult as an LS1
I really don't care whether someone wants to install an LSx, LT1, or any other SBC into their Z; but this statement is just plain false.

LSx engines are a different swap than previous Chevy engines. You cannot use the JTR kit with LSx engines, but you can with an LT1. If you want an LSx go for it, just don't expect to be able to use the JTR setup.

Mine has a Scarab kit but I'm updating to JTR soon. An LT1 will bolt directly into the same setup and, with carbs, the ECU is a non-issue. An LT1 swap should be just as easy as any Gen1 SBC.

I really don't care whether someone wants to install an LSx, LT1, or any other SBC into their Z; but this statement is just plain false.

LSx engines are a different swap than previous Chevy engines. You cannot use the JTR kit with LSx engines, but you can with an LT1. If you want an LSx go for it, just don't expect to be able to use the JTR setup.

no but there are several LSx motor mount kits out there. not to mention anyone who is swapping a motor should be able to make custom mounts. getting the motor in is easy.

Bartman, don't underestimate our trusty JTR people. They stay on top of stuff pretty well.

https://shell7.tdl.com/~jags/Datsun-Z-LS1-V8_Order.html

JTR sells stuff for an LS1 swap, but they don't sell a mount kit and they don't have a manual for it. 75% of the old manual is still directly applicable to the LS motors, but there are some major LS specific differences that aren't covered by the old manual.

There are people who have done LS swaps in less than a week using JCI's kit. I would think the two swaps are at about the same level of difficulty. That is unless you get cute and decided to use a carb'd LS motor and a non-T56 trans. Then you have to solve all your own problems.

JTR sells stuff for an LS1 swap, but they don't sell a mount kit and they don't have a manual for it. 75% of the old manual is still directly applicable to the LS motors, but there are some major LS specific differences that aren't covered by the old manual.

There are people who have done LS swaps in less than a week using JCI's kit. I would think the two swaps are at about the same level of difficulty. That is unless you get cute and decided to use a carb'd LS motor and a non-T56 trans. Then you have to solve all your own problems.

Why is carbed harder? I understand why using a different transmission changes things, but the carb should just mean that you have to figure out a cable setup to the pedal and an aftermarket box for the ignition, right?