HybridZ

fuel tank 73 240

I have seen many v8 conversions on the web. I have not seen a simple yet clean gas tank install. I am looking into sealing up the stock filler door , cutting out the spare tire well & buying a 69 Camaro fuel tank & having it resized. This tank has a fairly large filler neck that could be installed behind a flip down license plate made to fit in the exact place the license plate is located on the 240z now. Has any one found another tank that doesnt involve a resize. I do not want a fuel cell in the hatch & risking a gas spill that I will live with for a long time. I dont want to lose cargo space.

mas280 started a thread at http://forums.hybridz.org/showthread.php?t=94931&highlight=ls1+tank talking about using a gas tank out of an LS1 Camaro. Here's the opening post (the pix at the thread didn't open, for me, so ymmv):

"I decided to go with a 99-2004 LS1 gas tank out of a Camaro. Doing this swap will let me run dual exhaust on both sides of the gas tank, Notice in the picture the cut out for the exhaust. I am also doing this swap so that I can now have a very quite fuel pump, my old walbro was very loud."

Just fyi, I bought just such a tank out of a 2000 Z28 complete with pump and emissions equipment, here in San Antonio, for $100. This is destined for my '48 Chevy Aerosedan street rod with '95 Caprice LT1 and 4L60E. I may have to raise the floor of the trunk, only slightly more of a pita than removing the tire well.

You wouldn't have to use its fuel injection pump/plumbing, but you could...

Cheers -- Gary

I did the LS1 tank install on my car and it required no modification to the tank at all. It did require me to remove the spare tire well and build some custom brackets, but it uses the stock gas filler door and cap (no loss of cargo space). If you wanted to make a setup with the filler neck behind the license plate I'm sure it could be done. It would probably be easier to fabricate a new center filler neck than to resize a 69 Camaro tank. In addition the LS1 tank is nylon, has the fill bucket with internal pump, and is better suited for fuel injection (if your going that route).

Did you have to mount the tank backwards for how the LS1 was mounted? My LT1 filler is on the opposite side from the 280Z. Also isn't the fuel level sending unit output backwards for the datsun? In other words 0 ohms is full on one while empty on the other. Of course I could be totally wrong on that.

I did the LS1 tank install on my car and it required no modification to the tank at all. It did require me to remove the spare tire well and build some custom brackets, but it uses the stock gas filler door and cap (no loss of cargo space). If you wanted to make a setup with the filler neck behind the license plate I'm sure it could be done. It would probably be easier to fabricate a new center filler neck than to resize a 69 Camaro tank. In addition the LS1 tank is nylon, has the fill bucket with internal pump, and is better suited for fuel injection (if your going that route).

Also isn't the fuel level sending unit output backwards for the datsun? In other words 0 ohms is full on one while empty on the other. Of course I could be totally wrong on that.

LOL... My Autometer fuel gauge reads backwards.. full is empty but I got use to it quick after using it this way for 5 years. :-)

LARRY

LOL, I knew I remember someone bringing that up a while back. Ever thought about repainting your gauge? Easy to make a "F" and "E" and vice versa. White magic marker and a black magic marker and you're done.

LOL... My Autometer fuel gauge reads backwards.. full is empty but I got use to it quick after using it this way for 5 years. :-)

LARRY

Did you have to mount the tank backwards for how the LS1 was mounted? My LT1 filler is on the opposite side from the 280Z. Also isn't the fuel level sending unit output backwards for the datsun? In other words 0 ohms is full on one while empty on the other. Of course I could be totally wrong on that.
Not sure if it's backwards, but I installed it with the filler neck on the passenger side. Here's some pic's:

http://mysite.verizon.net/bzandbergen/LS1FuelTank.htm

I changed the filler neck to connect to the stock datsun cap and retaining rim, but I haven't taken any new pictures yet.

I modified the filler bucket to utilize the stock 240Z sending unit so my stock fuel gauge works normally.

DUH! I forgot you had changed the sending untit. Your site is actually where I thought about using my Z28 tank, still debating that one.

Not sure if it's backwards, but I installed it with the filler neck on the passenger side. Here's some pic's:

http://mysite.verizon.net/bzandbergen/LS1FuelTank.htm

I changed the filler neck to connect to the stock datsun cap and retaining rim, but I haven't taken any new pictures yet.

I modified the filler bucket to utilize the stock 240Z sending unit so my stock fuel gauge works normally.

I did the LS1 tank install on my car and it required no modification to the tank at all. It did require me to remove the spare tire well and build some custom brackets,

Bartman - do you have to remove the entire well to fit it up in there or could you leave a couple inches depth of the well and still fit the LS1 tank under it? Reason I ask is I have to haul my race tires in the car and they BARELY fit with one in the well, one on top, and two where the passenger seat is suppose to be (15X10 rims). If the well were completely flush then I could no longer fit the tires in the car which obviously is a major consideration but if the tire well could stay recessed by even a few inches I think they would fit.

Thanks

Cameron

Bartman - do you have to remove the entire well to fit it up in there or could you leave a couple inches depth of the well and still fit the LS1 tank under it? Reason I ask is I have to haul my race tires in the car and they BARELY fit with one in the well, one on top, and two where the passenger seat is suppose to be (15X10 rims). If the well were completely flush then I could no longer fit the tires in the car which obviously is a major consideration but if the tire well could stay recessed by even a few inches I think they would fit.

Thanks

Cameron

You could put it a little lower, but then you may start running into clearance problems. In this pic you can see about how low mine is sitting

LS1tank.JPG

The only thing between the top of the tank and the bottom of the floor is the brackets I built to install it.

Would this tank work in a non FI application? I am starting out with a carb setup but may switch after the car is sorted out. Thanks

Jason

The only problem would be the fuel pump, since it has a specialized design and installation in the fuel bucket. It would probably be pretty hard to install a different pump with the lower flow requirements that you need with a carb.

A guy I work with just put a 350 w/ a carb in a 4 cylinder S10. He used the original fuel injected fuel pump with a regulator set appropriate for a carb and so far works good. A FI pump is designed for high flow and high pressure but there should be not reason it cannot work at lower pressures for a carb application. At least something to think about before throwing the idea out.

Cameron

The regulator does just what the word means. The fuel pump will still run cool & should not burn out due to the regulated pressure drop. The fuel pump is kept cool by the fuel injected motors having a return line for un used gas. The pump is rated at so many gallons per hour. The fuel injected motor has a regulator also. The f.i fuel pumps are set up to push fuel & not pull it. The return line keeps a constant flow of fuel going . Have you guys ever wondered why a lake will freeze but a stream will not ( constant flow doesnt freeze but can be very cold ) .