HybridZ

My 1971 240Z video

jernut

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yea more like mid to high 15s...it only put down 134 with a cam and headers? A stock l28 in 280z does that.....http://forums.hybridz.org/showthread.php?t=92888&highlight=280z+dyno

Its only the stock L24 with 180K+ miles. Considering that they usually put out 115hp with no mods at all when new, I was happy with 134hp.

Jernut,

nice car! Just curious how you like your BWT-5 trans . I am going with the same set-up with the 3.54 diff and I am anxious to see how it performs with a N/A engine. I am figuring the first 2 gears will run pretty quick but not sure about the other gears with the bwt-5 ratio spread. Can you let us know how it drives on the highway? How's the overdrive rpms, and how much downshifting to get in a good powerband? There is a lot of folks who say that trans won't work well with a n/a engine, what do you think? are you running the stock shifter?

Sorry for so many ????? but that set up is a little unique:)

I bought the car with the 5 speed transmission, so I have nothing to compare it to. I feel like the car needs a lower gear ratio. It takes a long time to get through the gears. I will be looking into doing a R200 swap, I think that is suposed to help. The car is away for the winter so I can not get exact details as far as RPM is concerned. It feels nice around town because you can just cruise without ever going to 4th. On the highway I almost forget to shift to 5th sometimes.

sounds like you have the original 3.36 rear which would be way high for that set up.You 'll need at minimum a 3.54 or 3.7 with that trans. Guys have told me that the bwt-5 trans is not very good for the n/a motor. I would definitely try some lower gears and see how you like the 2.4 ;then you might decide it's pretty quick after all !

If you look at the individual gears in the bwt5 trans 1st and 2nd gears are pretty low . The way I figured it ,running 3.54 gears coupled with the bwt5 is= 3.90 gears with a late model nissan 5 speed. The problem is the ratio spread between gears when you start shifting 3rd ,4th. If you put 3.90 gears with the bwt5 trans it would be a rocket thru 1&2 anyway.IF you go with a r200 diff you will have more options . Are you sure you have a bwt5 trans with a r180 rear?

My '82 N/A Non-BW 5-speed with an R200 3.9:1 goes through first and second WAY too fast on city streets. I end up cruising in 4th by 25mph and 5th at 30. 4000 RPM cruising on the freeway also sucks. Unless I'm facing up hill from a dead stop, I don't even use first gear. Starting is smoother in second, the engine dosen't bog and I don't slip the clutch any longer then trying to do a smooth start in first with such a low ratio. I would only immagine the BW 5-speed would make you want to skip gears and keep you constantly shifting even more. The one thing that makes it easy to drive is the great torque curve (more like a line) of the L6. I can be doing 30 in 5th, and just give it a little more and it'll pick up speed slowly but surely. I'm actually looking for a 3.7 or 3.54 rear end now to make first more useful and lower my highway RPMs. If I ever go turbo (working on the legalities of that now, darn CA) I want the 3.54 or a BW with a 3.36.

If I were you, and were switching from the R180 to the R200, I'd go with a lower ratio such as 3.7 or 3.54 (3.36 would be a bit low for a non-turbo) and if you really needed the acceleration, you could always just slip the clutch a bit. I personally think the 3.9 is too low.

BTW, absolutely amazingly beautiful car. And do you know the specs of your cam? And you should see my driveway...

3.54 might be your best bet and there are alot of them around. Like I said I think the "long time getting thru gears" is the nature of the beast with a bwt5 trans because it was set up for a turbo motor. If you go to turbo or stroker that has more low end then the 2.4 the car will excelerate much better .Don't forget to check the driveshaft yoke set -up before swapping diffs. The driveshaft is special for the bwt5 so parts are swapped somewhere!!

BTW, absolutely amazingly beautiful car. And do you know the specs of your cam? And you should see my driveway...

I don't and the original owner does not know either. I guess his dad put in the cam when he was little. I would like to know, but im not in the mood to pull the cam. Thanks I will have to post some pictures soon. I have some up on Classiczcars.com. Same user name.

If you look at the individual gears in the bwt5 trans 1st and 2nd gears are pretty low . The way I figured it ,running 3.54 gears coupled with the bwt5 is= 3.90 gears with a late model nissan 5 speed. The problem is the ratio spread between gears when you start shifting 3rd ,4th. If you put 3.90 gears with the bwt5 trans it would be a rocket thru 1&2 anyway.IF you go with a r200 diff you will have more options . Are you sure you have a bwt5 trans with a r180 rear?

I am almost positive that the rear end was not changed. I am guessing then by what you all say that the rear end is 3.54.

Are there any markings on the rear end that will let me know?

EDIT: Here is a link to pictures untill I get some up here.

http://www.classiczcars.com/photopost/showgallery.php?cat=500&ppuser=11304

You can profile the cam just by taking off the valve cover. There is no reason to remove the cam. With nothing more than a dial gauge you can determine the lift. With a degree wheel and a dial gauge you can fully profile the cam. Any good engine building shop should be able to do it in under half an hour.