HybridZ

Chevy S10 5 Speed Tranny?

I have a chance to get a S10 5 speed that was benind a 4.3 dirt cheap. I was wondering how these transmissions compare to T5's out of a Camaro/Firebird? Would I have any problems lining up the shifter with the hole in a 79 280zx if I used the S10 tranny? The transmission will be going behind a stock 5.3 Chevy truck motor. I searched, but did not find anything about S10 trannys...any suggestions or comments would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

There are threads regarding this and the advice is: run away! Do not use an inferior V6 tranny behind anything other than the original engine it came with. They cannot hold the torque, plus the input (or it is output?) shafts are not the same as the V8 tranny. Avoid them like the plague.

Davy

Um.. really? I'm sure a 4.3 (3/4 s of a 350 basicaly) 5 speed would be the same tranny.... I've seen plenty of GM stuff that would seem 'overkill' for the particular vehicle, (Like a transmition) but it was designed/used for the toughest application required and then just used in others, rather than have a compleatly diffrent unit designed. This isn't like putting a 4 cyl 5 speed behind a 454 or something... And I've seen a 700r4 from an astro van (4.3L) behind a 350, and V8's bolted up to the STOCK 3 speed's in older S10s.. I can't imagine why the input shaft would be diffrent (going into a 350 or a 4.3 should be the same...) and even if the output is diffrent, you need a custom driveshaft anyway so what would be the problem?

I was just reading the "how to modify your manual transmission" at Barnes and Nobles the other day (I'm pretty sure that's what it's called, it's very similar to that anyhow), and they ran down a list of what the differences were on the various T5s. If I remember correctly, the S-10 used a Non-World Class tranny far longer than the other applications. I was trying to find a list of common donor cars for T5s because that's what I expect will end up behind the 73 corvette 350 that I'm trying to get from a buddy. I was kind of hoping to find a nice "use this flywheel/slave cylinder combo with an older SBC" page, but during my quick skim I didn't see it. Might be worth your time to look for the book though.

*edit* here it is:

0760320470.01._AA240_SCLZZZZZZZ_.jpg

http://www.amazon.com/Rebuild-Modify-Transmission-Motorbooks-Workshop/dp/0760320470/sr=8-1/qid=1170474443/ref=pd_bbs_sr_1/104-7565416-3578321?ie=UTF8&s=books

The tranny will not be a T5. It is a Muncie with the integral bellhousing. The shifter may be a bit wonky for the car, as they were designed with a long truck shifter in mind. They are an electric speedo sensor trans, and hyd clutch. It should be all right behind a 5.3 - they don't seem to be failure-prone like the T5. I have one sitting on the shelf in my shop.

Cheers

Doug

The v-6 trans has a 10 spline input shaft and the v-8 is a 26 spline. The v-8 trans is a lot stronger. There is even an upgrage for the 26 spline trans to make it stronger. i opted for the 26 out of an 89 camaro. paid 400 on ebay with everything. Running a zoom clutch and going to add a lakewood bellhousing latter to meet scca rules. you know you get what you pay for.

Yep, Check the input spline count, then look at the bearing race that is seated in the front of the casing. If it reads Timken, then it's a World Class T-5, BUT if the input shaft has 14 splines it has a smaller internal gearset. 26 splines and your golden.

I bought a V6 WC T-5 unknowingly at the time and ended up buying a rebuild kit and a Cobra "R" Gearset to upgrade the internals w/. Interesting project.

The tranny will not be a T5. It is a Muncie with the integral bellhousing. The shifter may be a bit wonky for the car, as they were designed with a long truck shifter in mind. They are an electric speedo sensor trans, and hyd clutch. It should be all right behind a 5.3 - they don't seem to be failure-prone like the T5. I have one sitting on the shelf in my shop.

Cheers

Doug

Ahem... uh, sorry to hijack here.. uh, Doug.. PM me if you're interested in selling that 5 gear (fairly cheep maybe?)... :)