HybridZ

Understeering S30 - Why?

• 1 month later...
  • Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Alright guys, everything is together and im going to have a shop install the ALCA bushings and camber plates tomorrow, as well as an alignment of course.

Heres what im thinking of asking for:

Front:

Camber: -2.0

Toe: +0.00

Rear:

Camber: -1.0

Toe: -0.5

What do you guys think of that?

I wouldn't do zero toe on a street car. Your car will follow cracks, paint stripes and any other irregularity in the road for a minute increase in handleing, well maybe if it was a track only car you would notice. You would gain more with a little more caster or better tires.

Well, rrrrr, in my ideal fantasy world this is a track only car, but I'm forced to drive it till I get my Corolla on the road again (dont want to talk about that), and still I dont drive it much. Is it something I could deal with?

Just how thick do I want the washers to be in my TC rods? For how much caster? And how much do I want (bad question I know, answer that as best you can)?

And if I add a little caster after my alignment, how badly is it going to screw things up?

Well, rrrrr, in my ideal fantasy world this is a track only car, but I'm forced to drive it till I get my Corolla on the road again (dont want to talk about that), and still I dont drive it much. Is it something I could deal with?

Just how thick do I want the washers to be in my TC rods? For how much caster? And how much do I want (bad question I know, answer that as best you can)?

And if I add a little caster after my alignment, how badly is it going to screw things up?

You could deal with zero toe but why? It is like taking the radio or a/c out for weight savings on a street car. Put just enough in so it will track straight. You don't want a wandering car that darts even more under hard braking on uneven surfaces. It won't be enjoyable 99.99% of the time. Adding a little caster won't screw up your toe. You can get a camber/caster guages and play with it. If you are adjusting camber with lca bushings, that will mess your toe setting up.

Gavin - are you happy with the work your alignment shop is doing for you? If so please post their info up on the NE Z club website.

I've just replaced my inner and outer tie rods, ball joints, control arm bushings (g-machine adjustable control arm bushings - front and back), rebuilt the EMI camber plates, and put in new end links. I added a set of AZ Z front brakes as well with 280 hubs and new wheel bearings to finish off this year's upgrades.

The alignment shop were we had the race car done couldn't do my lowered 240 as the center lift racks were too high (AZ Z 6 qt oil pan sits too low) and I had to drive 20 miles (with a wandering front end) to a shop with the right lift and a great tech guy who lets me get under the car with him. He runs a VW at AX and time trial events and understands the need to get the right set-up for the type of driving you plan on doing.

My current settings for the front are:

camber- 2 deg neg

caster - 3.5

toe - 3/16 out

rear:

camber - 2 neg

toe - 0.00

This is with me in the car and a 1/2 tank of fuel.

I corner balanced it yesterday:

Left - 51%

Right - 49%

Rear - 50.6%

Cross - 50.6%

Bite - 46

Seems good even for a street car that's driven hard.

Got to do the race car but since it's going to snow tomorrow and we were going to race it the day after, I guess I don't need to rush to get it done.