HybridZ

CAD Models...

hughdogz

Check out some minor projectss I played around with on CAD...

I use Inventor these days. I also work on simulation applications too.

I'll try and post some more stuff soon.

Cheers, -Hugh

studio_image.jpg

studio_image2.jpg

studio_image_engine.jpg

studio_image_engine2.jpg

studio_image_engine3.jpg

studio_image_engine4.jpg

I have a lot better models...I'll see if I can dig up some more at work.

Laterz, -Hughdogz

• Administrators

WOW! Nice work… The detail involved is incredible. Looking forward to seeing more of your work. The details in the cylinder head are very nice and quite accurate such as the rockers, cam gear, (not that I get that intimate with L-series cylinder heads to recognize that sort of thing…:) )

One thing of note, the intake to exhaust pattern is off for cylinders 3 and 4. They just need to be mirrored, i.e. 3 and 4 have their exhaust ports against each other instead of their intake parts.

Please don’t let that little nit pick be any damper on your work. Your cad renderings are AWESOME!!!

Under your name it says you are in Portland. Would that be Portland Oregon?

Were just up the mountain in Sandy.

Good work I actually do a bit of inventor from time to time, the most impressive stuff is easy in the program. The simple stuff like doing an array of an array become more difficult, or building a stable predictable model takes a bit of thinking ahead. Inventor isn't the greatest at surface modeling, but can do a good job with a bit more work.

Under your name it says you are in Portland. Would that be Portland Oregon?

Were just up the mountain in Sandy.

Hey Paul, yes I live in Oregon. I've actually visited your house once when I picked up a Turbo motor from Ron...you have an INSANE shop there.

Thanks for the Kudos!! I need to come by your place sometime and show you the simulation stuff I do (stress and modal analysis, even dynamic simulation to compute position, velocity, acceleration, friction, damping, stiffness, etc.) What I was trying to do is model up an engine, set it in motion and ~8500 RPM and see what "blows up" first.:mrgreen: No thermal or fluid dynamics yet...

I've seen a lot of members are making custom intake / exhaust maifolds...If you guys want me to "whip out" a cad model, I can save it in a neutral file format (like STEP, IGES, STL, etc) so your CNC can just mill it out (maybe you'd still need MasterCAM or something like that though).

My email is hughhendersonATcomcastDOTnet

Good work I actually do a bit of inventor from time to time, the most impressive stuff is easy in the program. The simple stuff like doing an array of an array become more difficult, or building a stable predictable model takes a bit of thinking ahead. Inventor isn't the greatest at surface modeling, but can do a good job with a bit more work.

Thanks for the Kudos Clint!! I've been using IV since R5.3 (~2001). I agree, Inventor's strong points aren't creating "swoopy" surfaces like the other high-end CAD packages (Catia, Pro, UG). Inventor's real strength is machine design, not consumer products so much. But, we are catching up fast. Models have been created with 20,000+ parts (complete factories, busses, trains etc. with EVERY part / harness etc modeled)

I still think that the coolest stuff by far is the simulation package.

One thing of note, the intake to exhaust pattern is off for cylinders 3 and 4. They just need to be mirrored, i.e. 3 and 4 have their exhaust ports against each other instead of their intake parts.

Doh!! Paul, you're completly right. Yeah, I reverse-engineered this model completely from memory. I didn't have a "real life" model to refer to...just a few photos..

Also notice that I made the cam with a generator. We have a cam profile generator...just give it lift, dwell, etc and it can generate the cam profile that is a "spline" in shape. It is more complicated than that, but you get the idea.

In general I am very impressed with Inventor, it has a very natural flow to working with it. Have you seen MCAD forums, they have a lot of good info on Inventor. The models would be a great way to share information. The dimensions can be linked to an excel spreadsheet. Then people could custom design their own parts. I have some crude 280z front suspension models I did when I was learning Inventor only months ago.

Everyone's favorite Weber Throttle body!!

weber_tb.jpg

weber_tb2.jpg

weber_tb3.jpg

weber_tb4.jpg

weber_tb5.jpg

weber_tb6.jpg

This is why I thought it would take that one member more than thirty hours to model a 240ZG just from a plastic model directions. Notice how I scanned in the views of where the decals go to help me lay out the model scale:

240zg1.jpg

240zg2.jpg

240zg3.jpg

240zg4.jpg

Hopefully I can post up some simulation stuff so we can have some REAL eye-candy!! Cheers, -Hughdogz

.... Have you seen MCAD forums, they have a lot of good info on Inventor. The models would be a great way to share information. The dimensions can be linked to an excel spreadsheet. Then people could custom design their own parts. I have some crude 280z front suspension models I did when I was learning Inventor only months ago.

Hey Clint, yes. I like that forum...lots of cool people there too. The mastermind behind that site is Sean Dotson, a celebrity in the "Inventor world" ...if there is such a thing.

I'm happy to see another CAD user on HybridZ...

Hopefully we won't bore these guys too much...hehe...

Later, -Hughdogz

Nice work on the CAD models !

What software did the stress simulation on that rod ? Can it do stress analysis on the 240Z chassis so we can take some of the guess work out of all the subframe strengthening projects ! That would be too cool!

I'm not very CAD savy yet. I did some work with Rhino cad before.

-Les

Nice work on the CAD models !

What software did the stress simulation on that rod ? Can it do stress analysis on the 240Z chassis so we can take some of the guess work out of all the subframe strengthening projects !

-Les

Hi Les, Inventor Professional uses a subset of ANSYS workbench software. It is kind of limited what it can do...no assembly analysis, thermal or fluids. It basically uses the ANSYS meshing and solver engine.

If you're doing a frame, I agree...the hard part is modeling the geometry...the FEA part is relatively easy...as long as you understand the situation you're simulating. Garbage in = garbage out. ;)

If you can provide the geometry file that Inventor can read in, I'd be happy to give the FEA a whirl.

Later, -Hugh

Hi Hugh,

I don't know if Inventor Professional can do this, but what I can see doing is modeling the firewall forwards in 'skins' or sheet metal if they implement that. It would not matter if compound curves and surfaces were not all that accurate really, because it would still be very interesting to do a stress analysis of the unibody. We could then try adding braces and struts in some of the popular locations and see how the car and it's sub frame can be made stronger for todays high torque engines. Heck, even if the fenders were modeled in a simple extruded upside down 'J' section, with a cutout for the wheel, it would be a good 1st approximation of how the loads are distributed.

To many here, I think that this may be as interesting as the wind tunnel tests on the car. If one searches for "sub frame connector" you can see many variations of stiffening methods.

Can objects made from thin mesh type models be stress analyzed with Inventor Professional ? I'd learn it for just that purpose, I think!

-Les

I am learning Inventor Pro. So far I have figured out some basic modeling and how to do the stress analysis on it. The deformation simulation is pretty cool!

Anyone know how to model an object in sheet metal? Do I have to make the planes have some thickness, or is there a way to just add thickness to the model after I am done with the basic shape ?

I want to model the front clip of my Z so I can strengthen the chassis with more knowledge of the subframe connector needs, etc.

-Les