HybridZ

BMW Z4 falls to the Holset, MsNs, combo turboZ

big-phil

I was on the phone with Chris (tuner of my car) while driving on the freeway. I was asking him "how come no one wants to race me??" just then I see a BMW Z4. Chris tells me "sneeze at him" so I say "OK" I pull up next to him and let off the gas GUSSSSHHH "says the BOV". That was it he takes off. I tell Chris on the phone "I gotta go, I'll call you back!" I get behind him, take 4th, nail it, and sail by him. He comes in behind me, steps on it, he changes lanes at about 60mph, hes about to fly by, I go from 5th to 3rd, put the pedal to the floor, his door get to my front fender, and thats it! Then I pull on him really, really bad! It was fun. I have no idea what a Z4 has for power? but it's not enough by far!!

Guest 280ZForce

Nice kill man...they will eventually come, either that or everyone is just too scared around you.

I got +1 for the Z last night as well. Took a brand new STi Limited (293 hp/290 ft lb and AWD) from a dig...he had me by a fender through 1st and 2nd...damn AWD launches kick ass. But when I hit 3rd, I said see ya and kept pulling on him and was about 2 cars up on him when shifting to 4th, but then we we had a stop ahead.

My 1st and 2nd gear pretty much don't exist on a 3.7 clsd unit, they happen so fast.

Guest 280ZForce

and regarding the HP on the Z4...there is 3 models available for it. All DOHC I6.

3.0i = 3.0L (215 hp/185 tq)

3.0si = 3.0L (225 hp/ 220 tq)

M model = 3.2L (330 hp/262 tq)

And the M model would have been easy to spot I believe. So I'm gonna guess he raced the 3.0i or 3.0si.

Still good kill man.

Guest TeamNissan
Nice kill man...they will eventually come, either that or everyone is just too scared around you.

I got +1 for the Z last night as well. Took a brand new STi Limited (293 hp/290 ft lb and AWD) from a dig...he had me by a fender through 1st and 2nd...damn AWD launches kick ass. But when I hit 3rd, I said see ya and kept pulling on him and was about 2 cars up on him when shifting to 4th, but then we we had a stop ahead.

My 1st and 2nd gear pretty much don't exist on a 3.7 clsd unit, they happen so fast.

Him only having you by a fender until 3rd is still very impressive man. lol STi's 0-60 like a raped ape.

Guest 280ZForce
Him only having you by a fender until 3rd is still very impressive man. lol STi's 0-60 like a raped ape.

Yeah, the new STi 0-62 mph is around 5.0 seconds or a lil faster.

That's awesome phil...

I've taken out smaller turbo civics/neons and what not but they could not drive all that great...I held my own with a C5 vette and had him by half a fender all the way until he quit...

I guess it is a hp/weight ratio thing...

Phil has like double my power though :-P

Sweeeet Phil, I added another one to my Z's belt last night coming home down Hwy 30 in Grand Prairie after a crappy 14hr day at work.. guy in a white TSi Talon with a boost gauge on his "a pillar"... it was kinda cool watching his boost gauge jump like mine when we went for it... I dont know what he has under the hood but I used to own a TSi and for my lil' ol turbo swap to stomp him as bad as it did, kinda made me smile. He caught up, we swapped thumbs up's to each other and that was that.. pretty cool

That's awesome phil...

I've taken out smaller turbo civics/neons and what not but they could not drive all that great...I held my own with a C5 vette and had him by half a fender all the way until he quit...

I guess it is a hp/weight ratio thing...

Phil has like double my power though :-P

That corvette must have been 1/3 throttle or something, stock vette is 345 hp.

The Festiva has been eating kids around Lexington this weekend. we wracked up some decent kills here and there until we ran across a 98-ish Civic Si.. Yeah, a friggen Civic handed us our FIRST LOSE. Its a GSR swapped, turbo, gutted, bolt-on'd and nitrous' little thing though, it is baadd. he goes 11.90's on the bottle and had slips to prove it, haha.

Wanna know whats REALLY funny though? and more than a little scary? He took me by two cars going full out from a dig and I was shifting 1k RPM early (still boosting too high) and we have a mystery bogging issue thats popping up in the upper RPM range around 16 PSI.. I honestly think if I could have rung the gears out properly, we had our slicks on and the car wasnt bogging we could take him.. That puts us ALOT faster than I thought we were, lol.

Hi Phil,

You're gonna have to carry your video camera around for us. I know your talent for steering with your left knee, shifting with your right hand, and holding the video camera with your left hand. Drive safe.:-)

I just had a funny visual of Phil racing. One hand on the shifter, one hand on the camera, knee on steering wheel, shoulder holding the cell phone telling Chris to hold on, and Phil singing 'Another one bites the dust'. Nice kill now take it to the track and see what she really can do.

I wish we could pitch the idea to a magazine. HybridZ vs. World Class Sports Cars.

They could put a full out L28ET and a full out SBC car against some of the world class production cars out there on the road.

I bet we would fair well against many cars on drag and road course.

Guest J420z31

i believe they made a 2.5 bmw z4, because thats what my mom has. its a real nice ride and fun as hell and handles like its on rails. it has a little pep in 1-2 but it really isnt at all that quick/fast. but is sure is fun as hell in the turns.

BMW's are kinda quick off hte line but arent much of a highway machine like out turboz's are. Its a good thing you beat him lol, or else you might have some tuning to do.

My favorite kill was against a turbo 911 thing, he called it a 996. All I know is it had some wide tires a roll cage and a top mount I/C (had no bonnet over the motor)

After walking around my car and checking it out (I didnt pop my hood) he offered to race me for 2,000 dollars on the interstate a second gear roll on. He claimed ot have 600hp.

I chuckled and told him I didnt have any money to race (I had 2 bucks in my wallet) but told him i would race him for pride. I was running 15psi at the time. We went out ot race, I had a passenger he did not. Lined em up on the interstate and took off in second. It was a CLOSE race, prolly the best ive ever been in, but I walked away from him pretty hard and won by I would say a good two car lengths.

When we got back to hte parking lot he was making all these excusses, but anyway turns out he had put down 460hp to the ground. I was pretty happy with it.

It was older then that, and had round headlights. It was a convertable and had a flared out rear (stock), I dunno if it had a whaletail or not because the "hood" was off the motor. It was aircooled and it was turbocharged. And it was fast. I think perhaps he ment that it had a 996 engine in it.

It looked like this:

911reflection.jpg

Austin - That car in your picture is a 964 Turbo, produced from '91-'94, if the car you raced was in fact air cooled it could be a 993 3.6L motor, which was the last of the air cooled cars and a great engine, capable of 600hp stock. Was it a Twin Turbo?

Pity you did not get some pics!

Yasin