HybridZ

New springs and struts.

Okay so I have a 1983 280ZX 140k miles that's pretty much stock and I've got a feeling that the suspension is really worn by looking at it and driving the car with a passanger lol. Any ways I want new suspension and I was looking at these

Struts:

Front:

Rear:

Springs: http://www.thezstore.com/page/TZS/PROD/PSDC01B/23-3953

I don't need to be able to adjust them and I want a smoother ride then what I have but I also still want to be able to hug the corners and stuff so are these right for me? Please note that I am not made of money. Also when I replace the suspension are there any bushings or what ever that need to be replaced at the same time ?

Thanks for the help, if any.

Check ebay. You can usually find those parts for about 1/2 that price. The other thing that you definitely need if they haven't already been done is replacement bushings. It's a chore to do them, so beware, but if you want to go for it then I'd suggest you call Summit Racing. They don't advertise their import parts, but they're an Energy Suspension dealer and can get you a complete bushing kit cheaper than just about anyone else. Summit also carries Suspension Techniques sway bars, which is also probably going to be on your to do list.

yep. while MSA offers almost everything one needs for any Z car, their prices are at least 30% higher than average cost

for reference, I ordered a spring compressor set from them for $30. This was a harbor freight piece that sells at HF store for $8.

Guest TeamNissan
Check ebay. You can usually find those parts for about 1/2 that price. The other thing that you definitely need if they haven't already been done is replacement bushings. It's a chore to do them, so beware, but if you want to go for it then I'd suggest you call Summit Racing. They don't advertise their import parts, but they're an Energy Suspension dealer and can get you a complete bushing kit cheaper than just about anyone else. Summit also carries Suspension Techniques sway bars, which is also probably going to be on your to do list.

I didnt want to be the 1st to say it lol.

Tokico shocks and springs are on right now for 400 buy it now with free shipping. If your patient you can even get cheaper. I bagged my tokico struts for 150 shipped.

Well I can't purchase them right now reguardless of the price and I will shop around when I do. But those tockio ones I linked to will give me both a smooth ride as well as decent handeling (better then what I have). The bushings that I have to replace will I be removing them in the process of replacing the suspenision ? If so I'll do them too but if there not removed in the process it can wait as I only net $200.00 a week lol. Also for the sway bar, is that one just an upgrade or would mine be broken ? My whole phliophsoy (sp?) on this car is if it's broken I might as well replace it with something good, so if the sway bar works then I'll just leave it for now.

PS. I just replaced the belts with gatorbacks and new berring for the AC idle pully it was exploded, it's so quiet now.

So these will work here I'm guessing

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/TOKICO-HP-SHOCKS-SPRINGS-280Z-NISSAN-280ZX-79-to-83_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQcategoryZ33590QQihZ006QQitemZ160082792229

That's the same as what I posted from MSA right ? Has anyone bought from this guy ? And is changing the shocks and struts pretty challenging ? I have no experiance with them but it seems pretty strait forward, I would probably do the front one day and then the back another day because I only have one car lol.

Guest TeamNissan

I've delt with them befor, they are good. Paypaled right after buy it now and go my stuff 3 days later.

You could do all 4 shocks and springs in like a hour too, its pretty easy. Providing everything goes smooth. I had a siezed strut when I did mine.

nbesheer,

I'm selling very slightly used struts and springs for the 280zx. I drove an 83 also.

I have the Tokico Illumina (adjustable) struts for the front, the Tokico HP struts for the rear, and Eibach Springs all for sale.

go to this hybridz page for more info

http://classifieds.hybridz.org/showproduct.php?product=3844&cat=15

I'll work with you on the price if you are interested.

David

So these will work here I'm guessing

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/TOKICO-HP-SHOCKS-SPRINGS-280Z-NISSAN-280ZX-79-to-83_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQcategoryZ33590QQihZ006QQitemZ160082792229

That's the same as what I posted from MSA right ? Has anyone bought from this guy ? And is changing the shocks and struts pretty challenging ? I have no experiance with them but it seems pretty strait forward, I would probably do the front one day and then the back another day because I only have one car lol.

Yea, those will work. Its what i'm running right now and I got them from the same guy. Can't go wrong in my opinion.

nbesheer,

I'm selling very slightly used struts and springs for the 280zx. I drove an 83 also.

I have the Tokico Illumina (adjustable) struts for the front, the Tokico HP struts for the rear, and Eibach Springs all for sale.

go to this hybridz page for more info

http://classifieds.hybridz.org/showproduct.php?product=3844&cat=15

I'll work with you on the price if you are interested.

David

No offense or anything but I'm kinda leary of buying used parts. I'm even kinda worried about buying off eBay because I've heard a lot of problems from them,

Anyways I have a haynes manuel at home that should explain in detail what needs to be done right ?

EDIT as for the bushings, is this what I need from Summit http://store.summitracing.com/partdetail.asp?autofilter=1&part=PTP%2D14%2D2003%2DBL&N=700+4294907666+4294906794+4294925044+4294925130+4294839050+4294865789+115&autoview=sku

Also it says it does not include Radius Arm Bushings Included am I going to need those as well. And this is a pretty helpful forum by the way.

I would plan a little more than an hour to do struts and springs.

Maybe the second time you do them it would be in the couple of hours range. but first time through plan on a weekend. You will need a pretty big wrench to get the gland nuts off. That can be a couple hours going to the rental place right there.

Guest TeamNissan

The nuts on mine came right off with a pipe wrench. Literaly took no time at all. I'd bet someone I could do the shocks and sprinks in a hour :-P.

Like I said though sometimes things dont go smoothly.

Wow I just realized something, I'm on stock rims as well as stock tire size (from what I have been told) are the one inch lowering springs going to be a problem with tires that big/small what ever you consider them lol. They look like doughnuts.

BTW here is my car the day I got it about a year ago.

http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v505/snsforums/?action=view&current=forums.jpg

I've only replaced the plugs, plug wires, belts, oil, seat covers, radio/speakers, wipers, washer hose, Air filter, PCV. And I took that stupid bra off. That's nothing major so thats why this is kinda a big deal to me lol.

I understand how you might be nervous buying used parts, I can't say I blame you at all - I'm the same way.

just thought I would give you another option.

BTW, very nice looking 280zx! Is the engine in as good of condition as the exterior?

The engine is in good shape it runs really smooth too, smoother then my girls old 2003 lancer believe it or not. it's not all pretty and shiny and theres some red hue under the hood vents becasue they dind't tape it off when it was painted 12 years ago. But I'll try to take a shot of it for you guys. And the interior looks just as good as the exterior as well.

EDIT: Okay I took some pictures after I got my cold air intake in and I think they came out okay but my girlfrined forgot the XD Picture card for the camera so I have to wait on ebay for a usb cord lol. But I have them.

I understand how you might be nervous buying used parts, I can't say I blame you at all - I'm the same way.

just thought I would give you another option.

BTW, very nice looking 280zx! Is the engine in as good of condition as the exterior?

Here you go, just got the cameras USB cable in the mail.

?action=view&current=DSCF0047.jpg