HybridZ

OTM vs. Veritech-Z: Loudmouth_Z vs. Camo Zzzap

OlderThanMe

It has been discussed...

It is time to post it for the world to see...

Time: 2010 (enought time for us mere mortals to build the cars to be fast)

reason:

We are planning similar buildups with similar limited budgets...

We are both younger than our cars...

Because we can...

Veritech-Z: single turbo, 350 SBC 280Z

OTM: twin T3's (that is what I am saying), 302/351 SBF 260Z (this probably will change, looking at a big L series based build now)

Let the competition begin :flamedevi

cloud contest (all y'all oregonites are invited to judge)

road race

drag race

blah blah...

you get the idea.

Who else wants in that is getting ready to start their build?

:burnout:

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Won't you still need quality parts for your turbo builds? Turbos are pricey too, right? I'll bet a reasonably built BBC 572 could kick some real butt at no more cost than a well-built SBC 350 w/ turbo.

BTW, if I'm stepping on your thread just let me know. I don't intend to mess things up for you here.

Oh... AND KEEP US INFORMED ABOUT THE MATCH RACE!!!!

hmm...who said anything about a lack in quality?

I won't build a crappy motor at all..

I know that my block is going to be built for when I step up with the big power adders...

I don't know if you could compare a non-streetable 572 to a very streetable 302/351 like what I am looking at...

And we are talking well over 500hp here...

I think our little race should be fun!

Maybe at SEZ or some other big Z convention in the southeast.

It *COULD* possibly turn into a HBZ shootout...you never know...

OTM... I didn't mean that:redface: I only meant that a reasonably built BBC 572 would likely cost about the same as a very well-built SBC turbo. The big block isn't the best option if you want to race around a track but for street and strip, it would really kick some butt. That's all I meant to say:mrgreen:

Oh I'm going crappy, don't you worry your pretty little head there, Mikey. I've got a leg up in that I've already got a real live Garret T-04 ($50), a factory top mount Nissan Sunny Pulsar GTi-R Intercooler ($40), and an SSautojunk wastgate ebay special ($100) ((that's right, my crappy wastgate cost more than the rest of my turbo stuff COMBINED)). I've got a buddy who's wedding I'm best man-ing who just happens to have a freshly rebuilt 350 from a 73-ish corvette in his closet, I'm just working on how much it's going to cost me to:

a)get the engine

and

B) get a transmission to go behind it. Right now I'm thinking T-5, though I know RonTyler has something to say about it...

I'm on the cheap to free plan, so if anyone is tired of OTM's trash talking and would like to invest in the smack-down of the millenium, post all donations to the "Veritech-z needs serious help" fund via PM.

.....The gauntlet is thrown. Junkyard wars will now commence...

Also I'm planning to use Megasquirt on a TPI setup. I think OTM is going with Wolf? seems like that's what I heard last. I really don't want much more than 350/400 hp (I know I'll be pushing my luck big time with a t-5), I'm not trying to win any dyno shootouts. I figure that if OTM can get his car together like he wants it, it *should* be a faster car. He's got coilovers, while I've got the tokiko 1" drop with matching blue inserts, and I've got almost all of a uerethane suspension kit (just need to do the rear LCA's) which will likely be as far as I take my suspension, short of the possible addition of strut tower braces. Any brake upgrades beyond stock will probably just be the 4X4 calipers on new rotors, I may or may not upgrade to discs in the rear. I've also got about 50-60 pounds less than he does due to "natures wieght reduction" (rust baby, yeah!), in addition to a nut and bolt reduction, stage III (leftover parts: where does that go? in the coffee can, that's where...). That said, I ain't skeered of a good run or two...even if his car IS built ford tuff...

MAX... Don't be callin' my head perty!! I one damm ugly Texas mo-fo and don't you forget it:ugg:

I had no idea you could buy a complete turbo setup for two hundred bucks. Sorry to have invaded your thread, guys. I'll just go pound my head against the wall until I forget the embarrassment of my ignorance:mrgreen:

One of you so-and-so'z had better break 9's in the 1/4 or I'll be very disappointed!!!:twisted:

Bschiltz is more than welcome to join up. B_sosick's backing me up with the Magnum Z.I.! OTM, you're going down for sure!

Mike, I kind of got run over by the Lucky train when I was turbo shopping. I got the turbo from one guy, and the intercooler from that same guy's brother. If you know what you need, and have long enough to wait, you can find good deals. As for complete...I still need oil lines and plumbing, but I do have a split housing t4 flange (that is another ebay special, and doesn't exactly line up to EITHER of the t4 housings I've got...) so when it comes time to put my manifolding together it shouldn't be too bad. I figure I can turn some shorty headers around or upside down or something, which would just leave me having to fabricate the cross tubes that will join them up to the turbo. I'm planning to mount the turbo between the engine and radiator, sideways. Then run the "downpipe" out the passenger side fender. As seen in this drawing:

datsunconcept1.jpg

It's going to be and sound nasty, but that's all for the intimidation factor. Psych warfare baby!