HybridZ

anyone buy the jegs roll cage yet?

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hey,

Thanks for posting the link Jon, whew i need to work on that website lol, oh well.

I have a feeling the JEG's cage is the same as the S&W, judging from the pictures on their site it seems to suffer from the same design flaws as the S&W. Perhaps this is a dragracing thing to have the tranny tunnel brace? I dunno.

• 2 weeks later...

I was wondering, has anyone put an autopower roll cage into their car.

I'm thinking about the bolt-in roll cage for my 240z but I was wondering if anyone had any pictures of cage inside the car. The main question I had was how far back do the two rear pieces extend to and where do they bolt into. MSA was no help when I asked them and I dont know of anyone who has the this kit.

I went to the top of this page and clicked "search". I entered "Autopower roll bar" and came up with 30 hits. Now, you try it. If the information you seek is not in those threads, then you make a post about it.

EDIT: I missread the post and said bar instead of cage, however, after a quick search there is still 20 hits for "Autopower roll cage".

I was wondering, has anyone put an autopower roll cage into their car.

http://album.hybridz.org/showphoto.php?photo=5329&cat=500&ppuser=7958

There are acouple other pics with the seat in. The passenger seat gets pushed about 3 inches further forward then the driver seat, but still has plenty of leg room.

These pics were all before the seats got redone and the roll bar was painted. With the roll bar bolted in like I have it and seat in normal driving position there is 1/8" to the roll bar harness brace, about 1/8" to the over head plastic and about a 1/16" to the head liner. It actually touches in the very center. I can put my seat back far enough to not fully disengage the clutch. I'm 5'10" with a 32" inseam and the seats are out of a '94 eclipse, if I recall correctly.

Wonderfull how someone gets corrected so fast on here. But If you were to READ a little tiny bit closer you would see he said CAGE not BAR. There is not much information on the autopower roll CAGE in a 240z. Sure we have all see the bars -- which make a good mount for a set of harnesses, but thats about it.......

azn_wrx -- try talking to johnc I think he has installed the autopower cage before.

The cage is the same roll bar with a forward hoop to the floor. I can't recall if the forward part allows room for the dash or not. Saw one in an ITS 280Z some years back, it was the bolt in version. The weld in version might be different, don't know.

I'm still not totally convinced about these criticisms of the bar. I mean if you look at Hiten Patel's story, the bar worked pretty good for him! I sold mine to Auxilary because I wanted something lighter that connected to more solid chassis points and that strengthened the rear strut towers directly, but I'm not sold on the idea that the Autopower would be of no use in a rollover.

i have the 10 point jegs cage in my z, the main hoop and halo fit very nice, there is a bit of extra material you need to cut, for the 10 point with all the tools and a good welder handy, look at 16 hours of work to do it right... i thought those pics were of my car, it looks identical to what i had done over the winter.

Wonderfull how someone gets corrected so fast on here. But If you were to READ a little tiny bit closer you would see he said CAGE not BAR. There is not much information on the autopower roll CAGE in a 240z. Sure we have all see the bars -- which make a good mount for a set of harnesses' date=' but thats about it.......

azn_wrx -- try talking to johnc I think he has installed the autopower cage before.[/quote']

Did someone have a bad day at work?

I personally thought he asked:

The main question I had was how far back do the two rear pieces extend to and where do they bolt into.

That is why I posted a pic of my "mount for a set of harnesses" because the 6 point bolt in CAGE I have seen mounted at the same points. I thought I did READ a little bit closer. Am I missing something?

Yes I was wondering how far they do extend to the rear.

I like the design of this one

Image-36B7BA98D8B611DA.jpg

Image-36B7D6FCD8B611DA.jpg

Although I do not know if this was a custom fabrication or if this was a kit.

The owner was not at his car @ msa.

thanks for the pictures and information

No the Autopower connects to the fenderwell. SEARCH and you'll see some pics of the rollbar. What you're showing there is a drag racing style cage. A road racing cage will connect to suspension and chassis points, like the strut towers and rockers.

I think scca rules say the rear legs shouldent go past the rear strut towers, and that halo or whatever those upper halo/door front leg bars look like head spliters if you slapped it sideways into a wall...

the jegs cage was simple to install the main hoop and back, we sank alot of time into getting the halo and front legs right, in my opinion the z is too small for a full 10pt cage, and it makes the car claustophobic. I seem to bust my elboes on the door bar. i feel if your doing the rear section 4 or 6 pt, the jegs is a value, but my time is worth alot, it took us 16 hours to totally install the cage in my z, I thought we were being thrifty, but it would have cost less and had alot less headaches and work to just buy the autopower cage, but if your a good welder and have a pipe notcher and dont mind spending alot of time on it id go jegs..

as for structure its .137 wall tubing, very nice bends, fits very well. im sure it being in a drift car ill get to test its safety features someday.

BTW: I am 6,1 and had to drop my seat mounts 1.5 inch and custom make some brackets, i cant deal with my helmet tapping the halo, anyone else have problems with helmet clearance with there prefab cage?

That red Z is mini- tubed and it was a custom job. the owners name is Huan and he was getting sick of having to step on the brakes when going down the strip cuz his old cage didnt meet up to spec! he runs the 1/8 in like 6.22 lolol and has 800 something hp. Really nice guy down to earth. hes around the forms someplace~

Hiten Patel's wreck at LVMS was a single car front impact into a berm and then multiple rollovers. In those types of wrecks the energy is dissapated quickly wich gave the Autopower rollbar a chance to do its job. My concerns about the Autopower roll bar are a side impact followed by a roll over where the roll bar mounting is compromised by the initial impact and then fails on the roll over.

• 1 month later...
  • 5 months later...
for the 10 point with all the tools and a good welder handy, look at 16 hours of work to do it right... .

Some have complained about the cost of an installed custom cage from a race shop. Take the above 16hrs and multiply it by a reasonable labor rate [$50 to $75 + ] and you will see that you are not getting ripped off. I was getting $1500+ in the mid 90's for a cage with Nascar style door bars. A cage with straight door bars was about $1200. This was for a cage with many custom features.