HybridZ

My Project: 800HP (Crank) RB26DETT 1998 240SX

underground

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It sells here for around $2.50/gallon....Factory in another 30% for fuel efficiency, and we are still around $3/gallon...

I'm sorry, I don't see the issue you guys are having paying for your fuel, where I live, Tasmania, Australia, I pay about $1.45 a litre, so that's about AU $5.48 a gallon (1 gallon = 3.78 litres i think), so that's about US$ 5.03546

Nigel

I'm sorry, I don't see the issue you guys are having paying for your fuel, where I live, Tasmania, Australia, I pay about $1.45 a litre, so that's about AU $5.48 a gallon (1 gallon = 3.78 litres i think), so that's about US$ 5.03546

Nigel

The problem is that 3 or 4 years ago, gas was $0.65 cents a litre here in canada, and today it's $1.10.

Gas was at a stand still for the last 20 years and all of a sudden its worth twice as much.

It's just fishy. But then again, I don't drive. LOLOLOL

E85 does require an alcohol tolerant fuel system so no rubber o rings. I don't think it is more corrosive than straight methanol though. Check this page out for a bunch of info on alcohol fuels.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alcohol_fuel

viton o-rings are $0.38 each on eBay, and E85 is considerably less corrosive than methanol.

On the issue of power, you should see a noticeable increase in power from E85 over gasoline (don't know where C16 falls in this argument) - this quoted from http://www.e85forum.com:

Typical gasoline Thermal energy 19,000 BTU/lb max power fuel air mixture 12.5:1

Typical E85 Thermal energy 13,475 BTU/lb max power fuel air mixture 6.975:1

Typical ethanol Thermal energy 12,500 BTU/lb 6.429:1

If you are consuming 100 lbs of air, lets see how much fuel energy you release for each of these fuels.

100/12.5 = 8 lbs of gasoline @ 19,000 BTU/lb = 152,000 BTU

100/6.975 = 14.337 lbs of E85 @ 13,475 BTU/lb = 193,189.9 BTU = 127% more heat energy

100/6.429 = 15.555 lbs of Ethanol @ 12,500 BTU/lb = 194431.5 BTU = 128.9% more heat energy

And just in case you think this is some math trick, and you doubt that a fuel with low energy level per gallon can produce more energy than a fuel with higher energy per gallon you only need to look at Nitromethane. Nitromethane only contains 5000 BTU/lb (26% of the thermal energy per lb as gasoline). Yet at its fuel air ratio of 1:2 you will burn 1 lb of it for every 2 lbs of air or in our 100 lbs of air flow calcs it would liberate 250,000 BTU of energy, or 164.5% the power you would on gasoline for the same air.

One other thing - e85 is a more oxygenated fuel, so it creates a greater volume of exhaust gas, and should spool your turbo(s) sooner.

• 6 months later...

I want to start out by thanking the guys at Abel Racing in Midwest City, OK (Specifically Erwin, who goes by Efeezi on the various online forums.) You guys have been a pleasure to work with, and your knowledge of all things Nissan is amazing.

It's been six months since the 240SX encountered bearing damage, which led to a full motor rebuild.

This downtime gave me the opportunity to rethink the current engine configuration, etc. While I was happy with the power of the Borg Warner 74mm (1.10 A/R) turbo with 9" cover, the spool characteristics weren't ideal for a street car IMO, and I wanted something that could make similar power, while providing a larger powerband.

After consulting Borg Warner, they recommended their 72mm (.90 A/R) ETT Turbo with their new 10" Race Cover, which has been dyno proven to make up to 60whp over their standard 9" cover.

The motor was rebuilt with an N1 Crank, JE Pistons, and Eagle Rods. Head was left untouched from the previous setup, complete with Tomei Hardware and 260/260 Poncams.

The car now sports the new Tial 50mm Q BOV, which sounds amazing, to go along with the Tial 60mm wastegate, and I'll have some dyno videos to post this weekend, pending all goes as planned.

Here's some sneak peaks from what's to come. Forgive the dust, it's been tucked away in the corner of the shop for several months awaiting parts.

240sxnew1.jpg

240sxnew2.jpg

240sxnew3.jpg

240sxnew4.jpg

240sxnew5.jpg

Awesome build, but is the new 72mm going to be that much different than the one you had?

"spool characteristics"... too laggy? how is the new turbo going to solve that by a big enough margin to make you happy. At most it seems like a few hundred RPM. It's still gonna be a lag monster.

The car was completed today, and I’m very pleased with the finished product. The plan is to dyno tune the car tomorrow, and I’ll upload the graphs as soon as we finish. The car sounds beastly in person, I wish you all could see it in person.

Special thanks again to corporate sponsors: BF Goodrich Tires, Tial Motorsports, Borg Warner, Abel Racing, Je Pistons, Eagle Rods, Tomei USA, and many others along the way for your help with the vehicle.

As promised, here is the debut video of the new setup:

http://videos.streetfire.net/video/Underground-Motorsports_181811.htm

• 3 years later...

The car was completed today, and I’m very pleased with the finished product. The plan is to dyno tune the car tomorrow, and I’ll upload the graphs as soon as we finish. The car sounds beastly in person, I wish you all could see it in person.

Special thanks again to corporate sponsors: BF Goodrich Tires, Tial Motorsports, Borg Warner, Abel Racing, Je Pistons, Eagle Rods, Tomei USA, and many others along the way for your help with the vehicle.

As promised, here is the debut video of the new setup:

http://videos.street...orts_181811.htm

Niceness ....sounds ready to lay it down hard !