HybridZ

zxt auto transmission in a 240z

Guest 240zxt

Does anyone have a wiring diagram for zxt auto transmission? I need to know where all these wires go lol. I know about the safety wires so you can't start it in gear. Is there a kick down switch wire or a lockup converter wire, does it need a computer to run it? pls help if you can. I seached..... but not to many people here switch from a stick to an automatic so there's not much on the subject.

I'm done with everything except the wires for the tranny. I drove the car already and it shifted thru the 3 gears fine but after a few miles down the road It started to slip so I had to pull over. after I waited a few mins I started it back up and made it home. just trying to trouble shoot this thing. It doesn't slip at all till after 5 mins of driving. I checked the fuild and it was fine.

Thanks for the reply. I'm more worried about it slipping after it gets warmed up for a few mins. and wonder if it could be from the wiring not being hooked up? I have other trannys I could use but I wanted to have a zxt auto for the dragstrip. I have another auto tranny but not from a turbo z. and I don"t think it will hold up. Not even sure if the zxt will hold up.

• 1 year later...

The 280zxt doesn't need a computer to control it. It needs turbo modulator with a hose connected to the manifold. If you have the safety switch worked out then you are good to go. The other wires are for the kickdown switch which isn't NEEDED but is for downshifting when the pedal is on the floor and you're below a certain speed. If you have a nonturbo auto you will also have a lockup solenoid. Your transmission should be checked out if it's slipping, it could be a number of things causing that.

When I swapped my 280zx motor into my 260z I lost quite a bit of ATF when moving over the torque converter. After the swap was complete i checked the levels and the dip stick said it had enough fluid. Every once and a while when driving I would have this problem where is slipped out of gear and I would have to just wait till it decided to re-engauge. Talked to some transmission guys and they said it wouldnt hurt to add a little over the full line on the dip stick to account for the gear lube that would be moving through the tranny when running and hot. I have heard in the past that overfilling is the death of an automatic tranny, but after adding that fluid I no longer had this problem. I say add a little tranny fluid and see if it clears the problem up any.. If its still happening, add more. Thats what I did :-D