HybridZ

Paint Scheme for my Z

Bartman

I download a program called the GIMP a few weeks ago and started playing with different paint schemes for my car (the GIMP is a freeware application similar to Photoshop). After playing around for a while with several diferent ideas, this is what my family and I decided on:

NoBackground5.jpg

So what do you think? If you remember the Mako Shark concept car, the paint scheme is similar to that. I'm planning on doing the paint job myself so I'm going to have to practice on getting the fade to look right.

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Im not a fan of gradient two tones. I think they look too tacky.

I would go with a pinstripe line to divide them.

I'm doing a dark green on the top half of my car, with a lighter pale green for the main body, and then the skirts and wide-flared ZG/MSA style bolt on flares that I'm making are going to be dark green again, so as to high light them nicely, and give the car a more wide and shapely appeal.

Mike KZ... I was looking for paint scheme ideas and noticed your signature pic isn't loading. I wanted to see it again because I like the stripes. Maybe it'll load later.

I think the faded two tones look tacky as well. ANd I think the hardest part (and worse) is that it is going to be VERY hard to get that transition right. Youve have to pay big buck for a professional artist to do it.

Otherwise it will look like most transition paint jobs your car will look liek the sky with some cumulus clouds on the bottom.

Just IMO though. If i was gong two tone it would be form the top body line on the side. I think ON3GO had a great thread with some ideas in it a while ago, lots of sweet photoshop work.

I agree with Careless and think you should go with a pinstripe if you're really stuck on two colors. Plus, that's definitely easier to do and have it look right. The fade can easily turn out bad and does seem dated. Personally, I prefer using one body color and letting other items serve as a secondary color (grill, tail light panels, etc).

Here's a thread a started awhile back wiith 2-tone paint schemes.

http://forums.hybridz.org/showthread.php?t=106633

In general I like two-tone paint jobs similar to the BRE paint job, but I've seen it on quite a few Z's already; so I want to do something different. Blue is my main color (already used it in my engine bay), but there are also many blue Z's out there already.

I don't mind the "dated" look, the car already has a dated look with the chrome bumpers. The only real holdback for me is the ability to paint the fade to turnout the way I want it to. So I'm going to do some testing first to see how it comes out. If anyone has any suggestions on techniques I'd like to hear them.

I was actually trying to find that thread when I saw this one. I thought this was a good look:

I like that one too, and that's what I was thinking of doing at first. Here's an image I made using silver and blue (it's looks kinda grey, but it would actually be painted silver):

bestSilverSide.jpg

Didn't the Mako have a piece of chrome trim just above the fade line, or is that just something I made up? I think that the fade is a very hit or miss proposition, but if done correctly will look pretty nice. I'd keep the lighter color around the lower character line if it was me, that way the natural archetecture of the car will help seperate the shades.

Just googled the mako in another window, and sure enough, no trim:

1970_17mg.jpg