HybridZ

*Revised* My engine tear down..The Lies, The Good/Bad and my Wicked Plans!

Guest 280ZForce

Guest 280ZForce

Had to repost this again w/ an revised version after last thread was sent to tool shed I guess even though violacleff and I settled our differences and let the truth be told on it.

So I have revised what was said and I also updated the engine build plans and new mods.

The admin said it would be easier for me to repost it revised than for them to edit the last thread. So here we go...

----------------------------------------------------

*Warning* Lengthy post, but worth the reading and pics below.

My reason for the tear down was because of the new intake and exhaust manifolds that are on the way. I wanted to make sure everything was in it's best shape to handle the power I was going to apply to it. I was told from a shop who worked on the engine previously when it was in my car that the block was probably slightly uneven around the cylinders 5 & 6. So I wanted that taken care of as well as some more head work.

Seems violacleff, the previous owner of this long block and I, were both deceived on the exact specifications of it. I'm not sure who he bought it from...but it was someone on this forum to which whom he will not specify.

We both have had a few misfortunes with this engine overheating every now and then and recently it was getting worse for me, it would get hot and then be fine, it had a weird pattern to it. So I decided to finally park it on stands and handle what I needed to.

Violacleff was unaware of the real specs for the couple thousand miles he put on the engine. I was unaware myself until I tore it all down recently.

Here's what I was told when I received the long block from the violacleff, who was told this by the guy he bought it from...

3.1 liter stroker, 89mm 8.5:1 forged arias pistons, total seal rings, aggressive Top End Performance (TEP) cam, full port and polish on a p90 head from TEP, f54 block blocked bored to 89mm, 240z 9mm rods, LD28 diesel crank, 1mm HKS metal headgasket, arp studs throughout and that it only had a few thousand miles on the build. pretty much covers it all.

But after the tear down, all was not what it was supposed to be...

So I officially needed to change my sig, lol. I'm in the process of more mods anyway.

But instead of making this a rant about how we got burned...let's get on with my plans for it now...

-------------------------------------

The Tear Down:

On Saturday February 16th, 2007, with the help of 5 Hybrid friends/members and myself, we set my car up in the garage and pulled the engine out and got it all disassembled in a good day's work.

Thanks to Aussie Dave (thehelix112), John (73GreenMachine), Aaron (81280zx), Jorge (Yorgee), and Kyle (Socal-s130) for their help on the tear down. Even though Kyle had to go to work before it started.

Well onto the BAD NEWS...

1. My pistons are not 89mm Arias Forged Pistons required for a 3.1L build

2. Which means the block is not bored for 89mm pistons and not a 3.1L

3. The head does not appear to have a full port and polish, just a minor port on the intake ports. and I doubt it was done by TEP...lol

4. The cam is not from TEP, it's a custom turbo grind from Schneider

5. Not a HKS 1mm metal headgasket, was a HKS 2mm metal hg

6. The cylinder walls are washed and outta roundness

7. The block surface is uneven

8. There is no full port and polished head work, only porting on the intake ports, and it was an amateur job.

The engine was put together poorly with good stuff pretty much.

Now onto the GOOD NEWS...

1. My pistons are custom made 87mm forged Ross pistons surrounded by Total Seal rings w/ KA pin height required for a stroker crank

2. I do have the LD28 stroker crank

3. I do have 240z 9mm rods

4. I do have ARP studs throughout

Well since it's not a 3.1L block, that means I have room to grow and I have a stronger block than expected. I now know I had a 3.0L stroker engine.

THE BREAKDOWN...

- I have took all the engine parts to a local machine shop (JMS Race Engines) that johnc recommended to me that knows Z cars like the back of their hands and used to build them for SCCA racing and has built some L-series race engines for john himself.

JMS has been in contact with me and have told me that the block would need to be rebored out because the walls are outta roundness. So I opted for a free n42 block from a friend of mine that will be bored to fit my 87mm pistons. The pistons, rods and crank have been mic'd are are still in great shape.

The head is usable and they are gonna bench flow it as is and let me know the #s before the work is done to it to match the new manifolds and before adding a 3 angle valve job.

The Engine Build at Hand Now... that will be taking place w/in the next couple weeks...

-my new n42 block will be fully prepped correctly for 3.0L build

-race prep the rods (deburred, polished, shoot peened, nitrided)

-the head will receive a (stage 2-3?) port and polish (1.75" ID intake ports and TBD on exhaust ports), 3-5 angle valve job, etc

-Isky cam of choice TBD

-Custom Lonewolf intake manifold that has 1.75" ID runners, the front flange is cut off and will have a slightly bended neck that will then have a q45 90mm throttle body bolted to it (manifold powder coated mirror gloss black and tb powder coated black chrome)

-GReddy Turbo Header that will have an adpated flange for my Holset turbo (will be ceramic coated in a silver polish and be chrome appearing)

-maybe a euro damper

-will be looking for larger fuel injectors as well cuz the 440s are obviously not gonna cut it anymore, thinking 700-800ish cc

-Fidanza Aluminum Flywheel

Lots of stuff planned for this engine and it will all come together in a short period of time as this is my daily driver and my only car, even though of course I have access to driving other vehicles that are not mine.

Now onto the pics of the tear down...

Here is thehelix112 (Aussie Dave) working on getting the exhaust manifold out...

1.jpg

the holset on the stock manifold for the last time...

2.jpg

3.jpg

Yorgee (Jorge), 81280zx (Aaron) and thehelix112 (Aussie Dave) working on the head removal... Show us how to spin that spanner Dave!

4.jpg

5.jpg

hmmm that's funny, doesn't look to me like a full port and polish job

6.jpg

That's not good oil and coolant on top of the pistons...

7.jpg

8.jpg

thehelix112 (Aussie Dave), Yorgee (Jorge), 81280zx (Aaron) and 73GreenMachine (John) watch as dave pulls oil pump and then they pull the pistons, main bearings and crank.

9.jpg

Hmmm, those bores don't look to be 89mm or so now do they? And what? the cylinder walls are completed washed?!

10.jpg

11.jpg

12.jpg

The custom forged Ross pistons w/ KA pin height, w/ 240z 9mm rods...

13.jpg

14.jpg

All the parts laid out in my garage...

15.jpg

16.jpg

(2) z32 5 speeds in the background, my 1 piece exhaust system (4" DP-3" mandrel bent all the way back), SS style hood that is going to get some custom louvers

18.jpg

My Z awaiting it's new heart transplant and some...

17.jpg

19.jpg

20.jpg

MORE PICS IN POST #2 BELOW...

Guest 280ZForce

All these pics are of the custom manifolds...these pics do not show the finished product as it's before they are modified and before they are coated as they are a work in progress currently.

pics of the lonewolf intake manifold when I got it as yellow color, the GReddy manifold after blasting and then ready modification...

13P2120138.jpg

16P2120141.jpg

The intake manifold will be mirror gloss black w/ a custom logo on it and the header will be a high polish silver...

17P2150142.jpg

Pics of my new Q45 90mm throttle body before and after polishing and coating...this thing is massive!

Q45 90mm vs 240sx 60mm

03P2120128.jpg

a grow man fisting my TB, poor thing probably was a virgin or atleast that's what she said...lol

09P2120134.jpg

All polished up to a mirror shine...

22P2120147.jpg

Then the final product done in Black Chrome as well as the fuel rail...

11P2150136.jpg

14P2150139.jpg

Absolutely beautiful! I only wish I had the time to do that right now. None of my friends around here know squat about cars. (They always are comming to me)

That's going to be a killer build, what are you useing for an ECU and who are you going with for piston rings? Or are you just re-using the Total Seals you have?

Guest 280ZForce
That's going to be a killer build, what are you useing for an ECU and who are you going with for piston rings? Or are you just re-using the Total Seals you have?

I've been using MSnS w/ MSD and as far as piston rings, if mine are still good then I'll use them. If not, then I'll find something good to go with, unsure as of right now still.

• 2 weeks later...