HybridZ

Splitting a 240z gas tank

Guest TeamNissan

Its pinch welded all the way around. I don't think you're going to get the whole pinch weld to release and then put it back later. You'd be far better off cutting a hole in the bottom and then welding a patch back in later (flushing it before you start cutting so you don't catch crap in the garage on fire, of course).

Guest TeamNissan

Just to make it easier to clean out, I picked up a kit for it but I cant think of a reasonable way to apply it. I'm up for any suggestions.

Usually those kits come with instructions on how to apply, and it doesn't require cutting holes. For cleaning, I'd suggest you have a radiator shop clean it out for you, and then you can use one of those spot weld dent pullers to fix the dent.

Be careful of the DIY sealing kits. There have been at least 2 different members who went through no end of troubles before they realized the home installed tank sealers had come undone and were clogging their fuel system.

If you pull the sender you have pretty good visibility into the tank. If the dent is on the opposite side maybe you can get lucky and it it from the inside with a wooden stick or something.

I once got a sizeable dent out of a gas tank with an M80....

I will second warnings about DIY Tank Slushing Kits. I always bought my stuff from Aircraft Spruce, and even now they warn that their original kit is for AVIATION ONLY. Apparently some of the new additives in petrol cause the original aviation kits to come loose and clog---so they have a different formula for cars. Apparently AvGas is a bit more controlled as to compounding, probably for just such a reason!

So whatever slushing compound you use, make sure it is for todays fuels, and NOT for aviation usage. Something to do with alcohol or mtbe...the oxygenates.

Otherwise, my tanks slushed with the Aircraft Automotive Slushing Compound work fine. I love Aircraft Spruce!

Cutting is what a was fearing my only option was. Thx for the info j.

hehe, the fear of the flame is always well up in the charts.

i wouldn't wanna get badly burned either, but I can tell it's the reason why you don't wanna cut a hole into it.

explosions, fires, yada yada.

but like any other thing anyone would do on this forum, just take the necessary steps on flushing it as best as you can. the harder and better you flush, the less risk and the easier it gets, because it's even easier than repairing a body panel if you got the right tools.

I had to cut a gas tank for a diff relocation once on a malibu, it wasn't that hard at all, i just scrubbed that thing for like 2 days to make sure. LOL.

I think the best way to pop a dent out of a tank you can't reach is to use a slide hammer, and just yank that sucker. then just weld up a little plug on there if you can manage.

but if a stick'll do it, by all means. let the power tools rest.

I think the best way to pop a dent out of a tank you can't reach is to use a slide hammer, and just yank that sucker. then just weld up a little plug on there if you can manage.

I think the tank is a little thin for that being an absolute necessity, but it would be a final option. I really like Pop's M-80 idea more than any other I've heard so far :mrgreen: Sounds like something I'd do...even without a dent :D

Davy