HybridZ

What n/a engine

Guest dan21012

Guest dan21012

Hi i am new to the site and i am just wondering what would be the best n/a engine to put in a 260z, the reason i want an n/a is that young drivers cant have turbos or v8s in Australia thanks in advance.

p.s i dont have a 260z as of yet.

using the search function would probably be your best course of action, but i would suggest to read up on reworking the l26 (the motor that comes in the car) with a mild cam, porting your stock head and bolt-ons or maybe check out the l28e (came in all 280z and zx models). I could be wrong but i think all l28's are fuel injected. realistically, i would save the hassle and keep the l26.There are many other motors out there, but all l- series are drop in and require minimal work to swap. Depends on what u want really. RB25de's and other rb's are readily available to you guys down under so just keep reading and keep your options open. just my .02

ok, your future 260 will be a daily driver? street/strip? are you more into drag racing? autocrossin? drifting? i think you'll have to set a goal for your Z before spending any cash. i spent alot of cash on the L28, ordered parts and stuff, then i changed my mind and installed a ford 5.0....so i spent lmost 1200 USD on parts that i dont need anymore.

not sure if they are used often, i'm more into V8s,

they are rated around 220-240HP @ almost 6500RPM, stock maximas are fast and fun to drive @ almost 3200lbs, imagine that with a 2700lbs Z and few upgrades, if its a daily driver, start with the suspension like thehelix112 said, get a master bushings kit, new shocks and springs so it will ride better,

If I were you first thing I would do is contact your local ZClub - join up (assuming the club not just a internet forum) so you can meet existing Zed owners. They could even help you with your search for a zed (could be a members car that is for sale that is not advertised elsewhere etc). You could attend a few of there club meetings/events and go for a ride in a few different zeds ie ones with engine mods/conversions suspension mds etc. Then you will have a more first hand feel for what each mod is like etc. But the best mod I did to my 260z was suspension. When I removed my zed from the road that was the only mod that had been done still ran stock engine and flat top SU's and it went very well (as a road car - not too flash on the drag strip)

seeing you are in NSW see http://www.zcarclub.com.au/

Hello there my fellow aussie.

For a starting car like it sounds like yours would be, I would strongly suggest doing as thehelix112 said and work on the handleing of the car first.

Then look at building an NA L28 on the side ready to bolt in, and it will just bolt in. For not much money at all you can have a higher comp (around 10:1) with flat top pistons and a 1mm overbore, a better cam and a new exhaust, and that should be enough to keep you happy for a while.

If you are 100% set on doing a convertion, I know that someone in Newcastle has swapped in the 3.8L V6 from a commodore, if you did that and mated it to a 5 speed, it would go pretty well in a Z.